overdrafts

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: overdrafts

Post by garyboy »

always confused by the dates and who dun it ..

it seems all the main parties, and the EU are implicated ..

http://www.web40571.clarahost.co.uk/sta ... istory.htm

.. the link is too complex for me to read .. but the greatest injustice seems to be to the waspi women .. who lost their state pension for a few more years then expected, when the raised age of retirement was brought forward in inception.
France yellow vests .. it one of the main causes of riots there, but generally it seems that the retirement age is going up.
Paying more for less seems to be the new way.
Do you remember when China adopted the `one child` policy .. now they not got enough youngsters to pay for the old uns.
Birth rates are declining in the west .. i dont really care anyway ... too old for all that stuff
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Let’s just ride bikes instead
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Tramp wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm There is me thinking this was a adventure bike forum.. Ha ho gone to the dogs this place....

Time to fly.
Adventure bikes and discussing your ailments should be the only topics :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I think it would be foolish to expect state pensions start ages not to go up as we all live longer.

When the 65 year pension came in, many people didn't live long enough to collect much of it.

Now life expectations are constantly increasing...there are more 80 year olds than ever before, and more of them will reach 90 than ever before. while there are fewer young people around to fund their retirement, let alone health care etc.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:33 am I think it would be foolish to expect state pensions start ages not to go up as we all live longer.

When the 65 year pension came in, many people didn't live long enough to collect much of it.

Now life expectations are constantly increasing...there are more 80 year olds than ever before, and more of them will reach 90 than ever before. while there are fewer young people around to fund their retirement, let alone health care etc.
All true Richard. But....There are a sizeable group of women who were told for the best part of 40 years that their retirement age would be 60 years old. They planned their lives around this.
Then just out of the blue they were told that they'd have to work until they were 65.
I think this effects 3.8 million women.
I think the retirement age for women is fair at 65, but these women, born in the mid 1950's up to the early 1960's should get some compensation.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

And there lies the problem. Successive governments burying their heads in the sand avoiding the inevitable. Not wanting to be the ones to send the message of reality out there.

If, as life expectancy rose, the pension age was pushed out accordingly, it wouldn’t be such a big shock when it finally happened.

A bit like your mobile phone provider putting its prices up annually at the current RPI rate.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

My living costs rise at the RPI rate; my pension rise is tied to CPI.

The Government and Private companies ( utilities, rail fare increases etc) use headline RPI to base costs but when it is time to pay Public Sector wages and pensions the lower, inferior index is used.

Cynical or what!
Trev

Post by Trev »

garyboy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 am last year the fca announced that overdraft charges were too high .. and that new regulations were coming into force …
been waiting for a year to get some fairness to these charges as I have a big overdraft ..

.. they going UP ..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/persona ... spartanntp
It's actually cheaper for those who use an overdraft as they were designed to be used, ie occasional use for a few days end of month, etc as daily and monthly fixed charges are no longer allowed. An overdraft is not meant for long term borrowing so you're always much better off arranging a 'normal' bank loan for that type of thing.

I know my student Son likes the new charges as he often dips into his by a few tens of pounds but only for a few days and even the high rate means very low charges compared to the previous fixed charge ....... and he didn't even vote Tory :lol:
Trev

Post by Trev »

SteveW wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:11 am All true Richard. But....There are a sizeable group of women who were told for the best part of 40 years that their retirement age would be 60 years old. They planned their lives around this.
Then just out of the blue they were told that they'd have to work until they were 65.
I think this effects 3.8 million women.
I think the retirement age for women is fair at 65, but these women, born in the mid 1950's up to the early 1960's should get some compensation.
To be fair, it wasn't exactly 'out of the blue', the bill was passed in 1995 and letters were sent out in 2010 (I know as my Mum in law got one and I helped her look at the options). True some letters may have got lost in the post or ignored but that 's hardly a reason for compensation on the scale being claimed.
I was informed years ago that my state pension age had increased from 65 to 67 (and I expect it will go up again before I retire), it's up to me to either ignore that or do something about it by ensuring I have more savings/pension put by, not the state or other tax payers.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

what annoys me is that, all my life, I paid in national insurance contributions …. I was told that it was to pay for (or towards ) my retirement pension … then, when its time to retire (if you choose to) I am told that the younger generation are the ones that are subsidising my living (pension) .. so now it has become a benefit, .. not something that I paid for all my life :evil:

Return to “THE PUB”