Achilles Tendon help!!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
dibbs

Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by dibbs »

So I am currently limping around in much pain after riding my enduro bike on the lanes last Sunday, and I have pulled my Achilles tendon right where it joins the heel bone, and its bloody painful! it has happened before a couple of months ago but I didn't put it down to riding the bike. But after Sundays ride all was good then I woke up Monday morning in agony, and a week on its still very painful.

I guess that standing up on the pegs riding in mud with weight back and toes pointing up, heel down must have put too much strain on the tendon, so the question is has anyone else had this injury and what did you do? the internet says it can take several months to heal etc! and will it happen every time I ride my dirt bike or stand on the pegs of my adventure bike for long periods? I do have quite wide pegs on both bikes but now im scarred as this feels like a ride changing injury!! :(
daveuprite

Re: Achilles Tendon help!!!

Post by daveuprite »

Yeah, I've had this - and still get it occasionally after off-roading.

There's a difference between a ruptured tendon (which needs surgery) and tendonitis, which is swelling and soreness. It's a condition common in middle-aged and older men who do sod all during the week and then go running / jumping / mincing about at the weekend.

There's a test you can carry out with your partner. Lie down flat on a bed/table with your feet hanging over the edge. Get the other person to squeeze your calf muscle. If your toes flex downwards you are normal. If they don't, you have three minutes to live (actually it means you tendon rupture).

If it's just tendonitis, rather than a rupture, you need to rest it a lot, do some basic gentle calf stretching exercises every day and cool it down as soon as you feel the pain coming on. Frozen peas are best. You apply the bag to the injury, you don't eat them. Brussel sprouts are too big and knobbly - not as comfortable.

If the doctor thinks you've ruptured it, they usually send you for an MRI first, then they amputate - problem solved....
Last edited by daveuprite on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Possibly your riding position needs tweaking.

If you havent watch Guy Martins Great escape bit on there about foot and body position.

I fractured my right talus (ankle bone) many years ago if i dont have my feet in just the right position on the foot pegs i get a lot of up and down movement through the ankle joint. this can leave me in a lot of pain. my solution is to bring my foot forward so im almost riding on my heel. ( yes luckily i rather small feet so i still operate the back brake comfortably.
I also tend to grip a lot more with my calves and knees, again this helps.

As to pain sorry not much help but i am in constant pain with one old injury or another flaring up, so the day i wake up pain is the day i know it is all over
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

I get this periodically and not always from riding, physio gave some great exercise which you can Google. It involves toes on stair step the lowering heal down. Follow instructions on how to step up and down. Hope it helps.
Wrong video so removed
Last edited by bill_qaz on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Thanks for the advice and vids guys. And Dave made me laugh as I am definitely in the middle aged bloke with sod all to do during the week then mince about on bikes at the weekend like I’m Jarvis or Birch 🤣🤣🤣
I don’t think I’ve torn it but definitely have tendinitis in it so off to raid the freezer now for some peas!!!! 👍
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

.. if the peas don't work for you .. boil the little f***ers alive ;)
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

I hurt my achilles a few months ago to the point my achilles tendon couldn't even be seen as it was that swollen (I guess you could kinda call me a weekend runner). Ended up going to a Dr who referred me to physio. Along with their magic ultrasound type therapy and massages, the physio gave me the following exercises to help.

My sore tendon was the left leg. So:

1) Standing upright, shift your bodyweight mostly onto your good leg and stand in your tip toes on both feet, but make sure your good leg does 90% of the lifting. Then shift 90% of your weight to your bad leg and then go from tip toes back down to the flat foot. Keep doing this 10 times, it's kinda like a circular motion if you get my drift.
2) Lay on your back. Keep your knee straight, raise your sore leg as close to 90 degrees as you can, then try to bring your toes towards you. DOn't use any straps or anything, use your muscles only. Do this 10 times. I alternated my legs as it's a nice stretch anyhow.
3) bad leg in front of you, about a foot away from a wall. Good leg about 2 foot behind you. Keeping your back straight put your weight over the bad leg and bend your knee until it touches the wall. You should only just about to be able to get your knee to touch the wall, don't push it. Swap around your legs and you'll see how easy it is with your good leg to hit the wall. Do this 10 times. Gently, slowly.
4) Sit on the side of your bed, or on a chair, cross your legs if needed. Just rotate your ankle 360 degrees (Make circles) both clockwise and anticlockwise for 30 seconds.
5) ICE. Try and get an ice pack on it for between 5 and 10 minutes three times a day.
6) If possible, keep your leg elevated. So when watching TV or something, pop your leg up on a chair/table/footstool.
7) Ibuprofen (The cheapo 35p packs from the supermarket own brand) pop a couple if you're going to be using your leg. Pop them half an hour before you start. This isn't a good thing to keep doing and it's not a solution to pain.

Mine took about 8 weeks to get better and during this time I stopped running but walked daily for a couple of miles. Even now, about 3 months on, it's still slightly swollen, but I just take it easy and if going for a longer run I pop a couple of ibuprofen. I'm still doing the exercises, as I'm mostly desk based, it's a nice excuse t get up and move around anyhow while making a coffee etc.

I had I think 6 physio visits, one a week, and the physio was adamant I should not start training until I was 100% pain free. So as tough as it is, wait until you're better, it can't heal if you keep abusing it apparently.

Feel better soon :)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

wlirSnx.jpg
wlirSnx.jpg (59.99 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
ill send the nurse round dibbs :lol: :lol: :lol: he should get you back on your feet quick :D
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Tramp wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:30 pm wlirSnx.jpg

ill send the nurse round dibbs :lol: :lol: :lol: he should get you back on your feet quick :D
:lol: thanks Russ!
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

DanielS wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm I hurt my achilles a few months ago to the point my achilles tendon couldn't even be seen as it was that swollen (I guess you could kinda call me a weekend runner). Ended up going to a Dr who referred me to physio. Along with their magic ultrasound type therapy and massages, the physio gave me the following exercises to help.

My sore tendon was the left leg. So:

1) Standing upright, shift your bodyweight mostly onto your good leg and stand in your tip toes on both feet, but make sure your good leg does 90% of the lifting. Then shift 90% of your weight to your bad leg and then go from tip toes back down to the flat foot. Keep doing this 10 times, it's kinda like a circular motion if you get my drift.
2) Lay on your back. Keep your knee straight, raise your sore leg as close to 90 degrees as you can, then try to bring your toes towards you. DOn't use any straps or anything, use your muscles only. Do this 10 times. I alternated my legs as it's a nice stretch anyhow.
3) bad leg in front of you, about a foot away from a wall. Good leg about 2 foot behind you. Keeping your back straight put your weight over the bad leg and bend your knee until it touches the wall. You should only just about to be able to get your knee to touch the wall, don't push it. Swap around your legs and you'll see how easy it is with your good leg to hit the wall. Do this 10 times. Gently, slowly.
4) Sit on the side of your bed, or on a chair, cross your legs if needed. Just rotate your ankle 360 degrees (Make circles) both clockwise and anticlockwise for 30 seconds.
5) ICE. Try and get an ice pack on it for between 5 and 10 minutes three times a day.
6) If possible, keep your leg elevated. So when watching TV or something, pop your leg up on a chair/table/footstool.
7) Ibuprofen (The cheapo 35p packs from the supermarket own brand) pop a couple if you're going to be using your leg. Pop them half an hour before you start. This isn't a good thing to keep doing and it's not a solution to pain.

Mine took about 8 weeks to get better and during this time I stopped running but walked daily for a couple of miles. Even now, about 3 months on, it's still slightly swollen, but I just take it easy and if going for a longer run I pop a couple of ibuprofen. I'm still doing the exercises, as I'm mostly desk based, it's a nice excuse t get up and move around anyhow while making a coffee etc.

I had I think 6 physio visits, one a week, and the physio was adamant I should not start training until I was 100% pain free. So as tough as it is, wait until you're better, it can't heal if you keep abusing it apparently.

Feel better soon :)
Thanks Daniel. It is my left ankle as well thats injured and your information seems very good and i will be giving all of it a go! Very concise thanks ☺

Return to “THE PUB”