If you had 10k what adventure bike would you buy?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
GSMATT

If you had 10k what adventure bike would you buy?

Post by GSMATT »

Ok, i have 10k ready to spend, i thought i wanted a GSA but i keep looking and im wondering if i really do want one or if i just want an adventure bike.

I have a young son 2 yr old so no trips globe trotting at present, but i do like thrashing down country roads and worrying sportsbikes. I once had a Triumph Tiger 900 1996 model (like Aluns) and it was awesome but do i want the new one at 9k or a 2009 GSA at 9.5k (i need £500 for a few bits of new clothing)

I cant decide and even after trying them i still dont know, i think the GSA will depreciate the least but i have chopped and changed my bikes every year for about a decade and i just want one to keep for a good long time now so that doesnt matter.

My shortlist is:

GSA
Tiger 1050
KTM Adventure
Multistrada
KTM 690SM
Hypermotard

I know the last 2 are totally left field

You will notice no Jap bikes, i have nothing against them except that they dont have as much soul as a Euro bike, KTM are offering a 10k deal on a new Adventure and Triumph are bringing out the new probably 800cc Adventure bike....

What do you guys think?

I have almost got the point now where i cant decide anymore, i rode the GSA and it is awesome, i like the size of the bike also and the fact it carried all my aluminium back from the anodisers in its boxes (about 30kg worth)

The bike has to have hard luggage and be comfortable for her indoors for occasional blasts, mainly it has to have alot of low end grunt and handle real world roads with ease. I would appreciate any comments positive and negative from owners about the above bikes. By the way it has to commute too!
Warthog

Re:If you had 10k what adventure bike would you buy?

Post by Warthog »

Would you not consider the XT660Z Ténéré? Or the 800GS? Both well under 10K new and so plenty for extras, yet still really capable bikes, from I've heard.

The Tén is the only bike I'd buy new, I think. Except may be an Enfield, but that is another story...

All those others are BIG bikes and big doesn't mean better. Not saying they aren't good bikes, mind you.

In fact, I know none of them from personal experience, but if I had to choose, I'd go for either the GSA, KTM Adv or Tiger, in that order of preference...

If you've not considered the first two I've mentioned, I'd suggest a test ride just to see what you think!
GSMATT

Post by GSMATT »

Hmmm, the problem i have it lazyness? I like to get on a bike get up to speed and then just roll on and off the throttle rather than working the gearbox all the time. If you can be smooth on country roads it works well, i like the fact that the torque just pulls you through, obviously you have to change gear every now and then, its just on small bikes its alot more now than then.

The KTM 690 would be a really bad choice but it looks a million quid. Im not totally keen on the KTM Adventure, it has a bit of an odd looking front end, i actually like my bikes to be more bike than plastic.

Cafe racers are my thing really if i didnt need to get a bike that does everything. I did have an XT350 years ago and loved it, but i was only 22 and probably couldnt get on with something so small now. Im coming off a BMW S1000RR to get this new bike.

I also like the presence of the GSA and Tiger on the road, although its totally false they do give you a sense of more safety compared to something smaller. Maybe i should try an XT660 to see how much punch they actually have.

I think i really need about 10 bikes but i really couldnt justify that?
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

Think it would be the 660 Tenere , i have sports bikes and a 1200 gs , but i do think the 660 is a great little tool.
Failing that would keep the 10k to fund my next trip and use what bikes i have to do it.
karnevil

Post by karnevil »

Why a GSA?
The standard GS does just the same job really.I have the GS my mate has the GSA I cannot cope with its physical size im 5'8" he is well over 6' so can cope but mine does just the same just holds less fuel.
Some time ago I was talking to a guy who was a manager on the Tiger prod line he had a GS.There is a guy who goes to my local HG he has the Ducatti.Its too high,too short,too cosmetic and too electric for my liking.
I understand there is a lot to be said for the BMW 1150 GS I have been down to the Alps with guys on these machines and they have performed just as well as the new stuff.
Do you have to have new?Think of the cash you would have to spend on trips!
Tried the KTM and Triumph before I bought the GS the KTM I felt was overall too high and oddly enough too narrow and uncomfortable and the Tiger felt flimsy.
This is my second GS the first was a total Lemon BMW had to exchange it this econd one has been much better,not without fault but much better.
GSMATT

Post by GSMATT »

Just done a stupid thing, ive gone and had another look at the KTM 690 SMC and in all fairness it is the best looking bike on the market today. Damn, but then i had an idea. Why not buy 2 bikes instead!

Warthog

Post by Warthog »

GSMATT wrote:

Cafe racers are my thing really if i didnt need to get a bike that does everything.
Could I interest you in one of these?

[img]http://www.tecnocoches.com/wp-content/i ... racing.jpg[/img
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Or perhaps...

GSMATT

Post by GSMATT »

This would tempt me, i like Tritons really or something completely different, im a machinist and this is basically art on wheels, steam punk is the future. Image
GSMATT

Post by GSMATT »

karnevil wrote:
Why a GSA?
The standard GS does just the same job really......
Thats the thing i am 5'11" with long legs and a shortish body (i dont look weird tho')

I like bikes that i can sit on and not feel scrunched up, although the confederate i have just posted a picture of is totally out of the question on comfort. I thought about the 1150 but i also like to know if it breaks down i am not paying for it for a while. After i have owned a bike for 12 months you pretty much know if its a lemon or not and its best to have BMW pay for any problems before its out of warranty.

I have never actually owned a bike out of a warranty except an old ZX7R which i bought cheap once, with the costs of repairs and parts i wouldnt like to buy an 1150 and then find it breaks all the time. My mate also had a BMW which was almost completely re-wired by BMW due to faults.

I think thats why i like the KTM's although they are not totally renowned for being reliable they have realistic spares prices and are incredibly simply to work on.

Return to “THE PUB”