The Motorbike Show

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
OnHellas

Re: The Motorbike Show

Post by OnHellas »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:56 pm
OnHellas wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:28 pm
daveuprite wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:57 pm Anyway, isn't it a bit of a poor argument to just tell those who hate a certain program/channel or whatever to simply 'turn over then'. Isn't it better that people are encouraged to criticize things when they are crap in the hope that the quality improves? Better surely than directing people to turn away and look elsewhere?
Or you could step up to the plate and male your own program to compete/show the others how it’s done.

I’m no Henry Cole fan but the series he’s made over the years are a lot better than mine or yours. He’s got the courage of his convictions and puts his money on the line.
Give it some thought and you'll see that doesn't really work. So I can't say "I don't like Beethoven" until I've written my own symphony? I can't criticize Buzz Aldrin unless I've also walked on the moon?

I've invested my own money in things over the years (not TV programs as it happens), but that didn't make me beyond criticism.
That’s a very good point and of course you are correct.
What I was trying to get at is that sometimes it’s not as easy as it looks as you’ll know from your own experiences having a go at things.
It’s always easier to criticise, as I did to your comment, but not so easy to actually do something.
Henry Cole does come across as a bit of a knob, and his voice could sometimes grate cheese......however, we don’t get many bike related programmes. His tend to reflect bikes in a fairly positive way too I think.
So from that point I’m grateful for his efforts.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

There's numerous tv shows i cant stand......
All soaps and reality tv, Strictly, Mrs Browns Boys, to name just a few and loads of others if i thought about it. But its pointless to moan about them not being for me, because others do like them...... and these are on prime channels, not tucked away on lesser Freeview channels.
So i just dont watch them, there's plenty of other stuff i do like.
The Motorbike Show i mainly always watch because the content matter interests me. HC being a twonk is just an amusing bonus to laugh at.
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Well I enjoyed it, and sorry for the mis-leading info as for whatever reason I had not seen it when it was on previously. I'm sure that whatever TV magazine I saw it in described it as "New",... but clearly not.

Anyway, back to Brexit :roll: :roll:

Over many years I have observed people's moods at this time of year, ie the first 1,2,3 months after Christmas and there is a definite less-positive air both in "real" life people, and on forums. I too suffer from a lower mood until spring comes along but try and counter act it by having a project or something interesting to buy during this time, rather than blow everything on the build up to christmas.

Er, yeah, waffling there, but just a general observation regarding a minority on this, and other forums.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:57 pm Anyway, isn't it a bit of a poor argument to just tell those who hate a certain program/channel or whatever to simply 'turn over then'. Isn't it better that people are encouraged to criticize things when they are crap in the hope that the quality improves? Better surely than directing people to turn away and look elsewhere?
I always find it better to prefix with "In my opinion" rather than arbitrarily slagging-off something that others may find useful or entertaining.
An example would be......
"In my opinion, as an experienced motorcyclist of many years standing, Mr Cole's work on the Motorbike Show is shallow and cliche-ridden, however I except that he has contributed greatly to the appeal of motorcycling, especially to those unfamiliar with the activity."
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

I recently watched the last series , no 9 out last year and though our Henry is still a little annoying I really warmed to him. His enthusiasm and interest for any and all bikes really came out, in a bit more of a personal way perhaps. Anyway, I could relate to a lot of what he described about bikes, riding, roads, and places he visited.

Also worth watching for his mate Alan who somehow made a 6 cylinder bike from a four, as well as showing some other very impressive fabricating skills.

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-motorbike-show/1a9745a0037
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Alan Millyard has his own youtube channel which has some interesting things on it.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Ah thanks for that, didn't realise he was the KH triple/five cylinder creator.

Allen not Alan.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Tonibe63 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:22 pm Alan Millyard has his own youtube channel which has some interesting things on it.
I have a small (Intel NUC) computer attached to my TV and usually end up grumping that there's nothing (worthwhile) to watch and end up on YouTube looking at bike stuff.

Some of the content is dire, but there are a few channels that I have subscribed to, so get a few videos a week popping up. I'm not sure how HC manages to still get on to TV as some of these channels are, I think, much better. Worlds Greatest Motorbike Rides vs Itchyboots, for example, is no contest.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Totally agree Elmer infact I watch more YouTube than normal TV, something I wouldn't have believed prelockdown.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “THE PUB”