Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Nigel

Re: Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Post by Nigel »

yoda wrote:A bit off topic from the thread title but with some of these acid attacks etc, for delivery riders,drivers and some of you guys commuting into cities it might be worth wearing a pair of wrap around safety/sun glasses under your visor, when you have the visor/flip front up at least you still have the chance of some eye protection, ok not always practical if wet and they can steam up when its cold. I tend to use some cycling safety glasses with interchangable lenses that are shatterproof, handy to have some eye cover when i run with the helmet front up at low speed, i also headbutted a pigeon a yr or so ago at 70mph that took my helmet visor and mech off, messy but no deris in my eyes though as had the glasses on as well.
Shoei GT Air drop down sunvisor (thumbs)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

micksea wrote:ANY damage or injury caused in a police chase should be attributed to the people being chased not the police and suitable charges should be added to the fuckwits case.until the public regain respect for the police things will only get worse.
police officers are human and the red mist does rise and it takes discipline to control a chase in any circumstances.

My Advanced driving course I was advised that I could be a far better driver if I drove faster and the guy in the car behind was a faster driver than me, I simply replied, "he's young dumb and full of ...." for which I was told I had to improve my "driving" I then asked if the instructors would be in court to repeat that phrase should I be involved in an incident I did not get a reply.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Old Git Ray wrote:
Redmurty wrote:...........

Although I was a great believer in defending myself should the situation arrive and I was found not guilty in a subsequent court case, gratuitous violence should not be allowed. But it is amazing how people turn on you when a complaint is made :whistle: (thumbs)

Police officers can't win no matter what they do, as a poster has already said you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. If you chase someone and they get hurt you are in the doo doo, if you chase someone and a member of the public gets hurt deep doo doo and then you have to live with the consequence of the mistake that has happened and so do the other parties involved.
Therein lies the problem. I am sure most of you are aware but there is and has been many cases (and it looks like Spud is one of them) where Police end up in court for driving/assault offences and once accused the venom and weight of the law is all aimed at them, not the scrote that caused the problem in the first place.

Understandably, a couple of weeks ago the Police Federation issued advice telling all drivers not to use the speeding/red light etc, exemptions they had and quite frankly I agree. I know that currently police are instructed not to chase motorcycles/mopeds and sadly the scrotes know it too so are doing what they want with no fear of old bill on their case.

As Gedge says, "Society gets the kind of policing it deserves".

It looks like the powers that be are now waking up to reality. They are now mumbling about new powers etc. Total crap: all the Police needs is support in the powers they already have.

And dont get me started on "Stop and Search"....Grrrr
Wigs gowns and barristers and a potential walk down the steps to the cell (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

catcitrus wrote:A chase of any kind in an urban environment is likely to end in tears--and innocent people get injured and killed. It is only perhaps justified when there has been a serious assault or armed robbery, but for all other cases its far too dangerous. I know thats not much comfort to those affected but we have to be patient as they will come unstuck sooner or later. The average police driver does not have advanced pursuit training--young, and with a normal licence--they cannot be expected to conduct a high speed pursuit safely. We are also suffering from lack of numbers on the streets which is an obvious deterrent in the first place. What we do have is rapid number recognition, and soon we will have high speed drones that can be deployed to track and film--and we can get at them when they stop and think that the coast is clear. I live in an old village with a necking street outside my door with a traffic priority situation. My biggest fear is the speed at which all of the emergency services use when going from A to B--far too fast and dangerous for the road situation--right by a school next door. They simply cannot see if it is clear at the speed they use, and soon there will be a bad accident--they seem to think flashing lights and a siren make them immune from sensible driving--they will make up only microseconds by driving like idiots--and again most of them are NOT trained.
ps my father in law was a police advanced driving instructor in North Wales (but Merseyside based). He retired to Wales--and I had the pleasure of watching (passenger) a skilled driver in action many times in "normal " conditions--a large percentage of people shouldn't be on the road IMO--and we need something like a 5 year repeat examination to make sure--not a full test, but basic safety and awareness. In my opinion only a VERY SMALL percentage of the driving population are capable of driving safely at real speed--and I don't really include myself in that category although I've been riding/driving for over 50 years , have a clean licence (just 3 points in all that time--but that's another "entrapment" story!) ,and maybe just the odd minor bump--and I used to race bikes, have done track days, the Ring 5 day course twice etc.
Just to be clear..basic police drivers are already ( and have been in my old force since the early 1980s) forbidden to engage in any form of pursuit ( but all of them in my old force undergo at least 2 weeks driver training) ...as for the idea that those that can do pursuit and respinse do so too fast??? You already acknowledge that you dont have the skills to do so safely, so perhaps your opinion is pretty coloured by your own skills rather than based upon facts...truth is, police ( and fire and ambo) drivers have very low levels of 'at fault' incidents, especially weighed up against the miles / hours they spend driving ......anyway, lets move away from knocking those that do and concentrate on supporting them when they face criminals on 2 wheels...

PS, I once had a similar tale as above from a bloke that drove like a twat and kept getting stopped..he decided it was because I was seeing his girlfriend...he eventually 'kidnapped' and raped her before attending the police station demanding I be sacked for seeing her ...( turns out she had been stalking me for months but my crewmate and I just thought she was bored driving round town all the time)....

My boss said, these are really serious allegations, and I should get him in here now to explain himself....unfortunately, he is off this week on his honeymoon...and that was the end of that....
heavy

Post by heavy »

well said mate give em a fukin good smakin aswell.
heavy

Post by heavy »

well said mate and give em a good smakin to id cut there fukin hands of
Africa John wrote:If you do the crime be prepared to do the time

I'm of the generation where we had genuine respect for the police and a fear of being arrested or the policeman having a word with my parents!

As far as I'm concerned they can tazer or baton the little shits before getting them back to the nick.

Probably get a load of flack from the leftie PC snowflake brigade but frankly my dears I don't give a damn

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

wasnt there a electro gun that could shut down a car available/invented a few year ago?
Failing that a mini RPG
Spidermans net even
Back to TDF
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

NO ... motorcycle riders should not be pursued by police.
Being a turkey, I also would not vote for Xmas.
there are plenty of cameras around for catching law breakers,
pursuing bikes would probably end in some sort of tragedy.
there are drones and helicopters and informants and witnesses.
Jack the lad on a powerful bike thinks he can outrun an experienced police driver or rider.
pushing him to higher speeds he may not manage.
a police driver is in control of 2 or 3 ton of lethal weapon that has its limits!
acid attacks are a different matter and should be dealt with severely, .. by the legal system.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

This Scum need bringing to a halt by any means including ramming them with Police Vehicles as long as it can be done without endangering the Public.
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Police chases are just racing on the road, obviously not on, supported by many other countries, end of the story.

Return to “THE PUB”