Out of the frying pan? The 53rd State is born ...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Simon_100

Out of the frying pan? The 53rd State is born ...

Post by Simon_100 »

So, Trump announces a ban on laptops, tablets, etc. from the cabins of non US airlines coming from, surprise surprise, mostly Muslin countries ...

... and hey presto the UK follows suit.

So what for 'sovereignty' - Brussels or Washington?

I'll get me coat ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Richard Simpson

Re: Out of the frying pan? The 53rd State is born ...

Post by Richard Simpson »

I expect the ban was in the light of 'information received'. With the security measure in place in the US, the risk may have been shifted to the UK.

There's a lot of it about at the moment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39355940
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I don't care what laws they bring in for flights....as long as it makes them safe.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Cone

Post by Cone »

Do you think this is linked with the attack today?
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I bet the official version of the London stabbing will be 'someone with mental health issues'.

Laptop/tablet ban I feel would be more likely to be about someone either blowing an aircraft up, or somehow hacking its avionics.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I wonder if the airlines will allow Business Class passengers to use laptops, or will they provide customers with machines?

And will they allow the headrest displays to take a USB stick so you can watch your own films... :-) That seems to be the main use of tech on long haul flights... I tend to read books, but can do so on a phone quite happily, just need the right specs :whistle:
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

It's because there have been indicators that there is a development in being able to place
explosives where the battery is. So replace 80% of the battery in a laptop and it can
still be
switched on in a security check. Then at 30.000ft boom and a gaping hole in the side of the plane...
sven

Post by sven »

This is the damage a laptop bomb can do. Luckily this one went off at low altitude, but the decompression at high altitude would probably bring the plane down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35521646
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

The reason behind the topic wasn't so much about the damage a laptop can do, or even terrorism as such but about the almost instantaneous action on the part of the UK to a apply a policy - that I actually think is bonkers - on the part of the US after all the so-called 'sovereignty' issues around the Brexit fiasco.

OK, so Richard's point about 'information received' may be a valid one, but of so why is the UK the only country following it when Belgium, France, Germany and Spain have suffered at least a much Islamist based terrist attacks as has Britain*. So why haven't they done the same, assuming the 'information' is shared among all country's security service - and if not why not?!!!

One think that struck me is that the US ban doesn't apply to US airlines - it does apply to BA! - and bearing in mind Trump's protectionist views he's handing over a virtually monopoly to business class customers at the very least!

Back to terrorism - why limit to the list of 'mainly Islamic countries' when the perpetrators of all of the recent EU attacks were 'home grown'?

Regs

Simon
* bearing in mind I only knew about yesterday's attack I'd be more than happy for the topic to be deleted out of respect. So if anyone wants this just report it to a moderator with by blessing.
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Mike101 wrote:I don't care what laws they bring in for flights....as long as it makes them safe.

Mike
Me neither, I'd go on in my underpants if they turned the heating up a bit.

It would not surprise (or bother) me if they stopped all electronic devices going into the passenger cabin.

If you don't like it, don't go. It's their aeroplane, their rules.

Return to “THE PUB”