Insurance: The small print.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
2 wheeled tourist

Insurance: The small print.

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

:ohmy: Hmm...long story short, my bikes' insurance was not renewed this month, choose to ignore the reminder and then both bikes were SORNed.

In the post, this morning, a new Insurance Certificate and policy arrived for both bikes, for the next twelve months.

Rang them to ask why a brand-new policy had come to my house, with the payment of £260.00 charged to my b-card.

Well...apparently, there is, in the small print, a clause that gives the insurer the right to do so, it is called AUTOMATIC RENEWAL.

Rang them to ask why etc, and then cancelled this new, unwanted policy, and the money then put back onto my card. Also...the AUTOMATIC RENEWAL option, too, was cancelled...

I hadn't realised this and simply thought all was good by not personally renewing, so, just a friendly warning, if you wish, ask your insurer if they, too, have this AUTO RENEW policy. You can opt out of this... (thumbs)
Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.
bowber

Re: Insurance: The small print.

Post by bowber »

Yes quite common since the continuous insurance laws came into effect.

Steve
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Yet another example of sharp practice/daylight robbery perpetrated by insurance companies!
2 wheeled tourist

bowber wrote:Yes quite common since the continuous insurance laws came into effect.

Steve
Yeah....just took me by surprise. This being, too, the very first time in twenty five years that I hadn't took insurance out. Also, the first time I had done a SORN, since its creation...live & learn :pinch:
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

A couple of years ago I received new policy documents unexpectedly. This was after I had called them to say they were about £150 too expensive and not to renew.Then the chances tried to get me to pay a cancellation charges. They were adamant I owed them money, until I contacted the insurance ombudsman.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Yep find a better deal which isnt uncommon,then have to ring the old insurer or end up with two policys and spend five minuites on the phone going "yes I want to cancel,,,,,,,,,yes Im sure,,,,,,,,yes I have another,,,,,,,,no you cant requote me......no you cant remind me next year"
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

2 wheeled tourist wrote:
bowber wrote:Yes quite common since the continuous insurance laws came into effect.

Steve
Yeah....just took me by surprise. This being, too, the very first time in twenty five years that I hadn't took insurance out. Also, the first time I had done a SORN, since its creation...live & learn :pinch:
Dont forget to cancel your road tax direct debit if you pay it monthly
2 wheeled tourist

Big Red wrote:A couple of years ago I received new policy documents unexpectedly. This was after I had called them to say they were about £150 too expensive and not to renew.Then the chances tried to get me to pay a cancellation charges. They were adamant I owed them money, until I contacted the insurance ombudsman.
I asked them about that, in the same vain, "Will this affect me in any as now it is me cancelling this unwanted Policy?"

They said No...
2 wheeled tourist

Andi_Archer wrote:
2 wheeled tourist wrote:

Steve
Dont forget to cancel your road tax direct debit if you pay it monthly
Yeah...thanks for that...I always do that via the Gov. website and a refund, hopefully ;) , is on its way :)
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

As mentioned with the constant insurance law unless SORN'ed you have to have some insurance but not all may do this but worth checking.... (thumbs)

Hit with it myself and said i never selected auto renewal and she went through above, i did still go with them but made sure the auto renewal was removed for next time.

She stated that you have to actually phone them to remove the auto renewal. (Bennets in this instance).

I feared having issues with the sons coming up for renewal but as a new rider i went with a cheaper one and insurer is probably abroad. He has sold his bike while at UNI doing Nursing.

However probably as it may be abroad i got a nice e-mail a few weeks before due stating, i have to call to renew... sweet and very next day got the same in a letter so have his no claims if he takes to a motorbike again before two years are up.

Good to know as daughter is with same company and she will be taking her bike off the road for 3 or 4 months or more so hopefully will be the same for her.

Return to “THE PUB”