OCD and motorcycle ownership.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

OCD and motorcycle ownership.

Post by SteveW »

Are some people just unlucky with their bikes? Or are we talking OCD?
I just ride the bloody things.
Loads of times, little (to me insignificant) "faults" on my bike have been pointed out to me.
A spec of rust, a slightly misaligned panel, a rough edge on a component, or a slight surging or uneven tick over, a slight hesitation on pick-up etc.....
All stuff I've been blissfully unaware of. What subsequent action do I take? Well, I just forget about it.
I accept that we live in an imperfect world and I don't want to drive myself to distraction by wasting my life complaining endlessly about minor issues, that for me are pretty insignificant and don't detract from the operation of the bike.
We all have different thresholds for what we consider acceptable.
But some people have their bar set too high with their expectations and become serial complainers.
I once had a Mercedes Vito 205 sport van. A six cylinder 205 bhp beastly of a thing.
I was talking to a car valeter who had the same van. In his 18 months of ownership it had been back to the main dealership eight times, he'd only had use of the van for 12 of the 18 months he'd owned it.
He listed the faults, and because he was with his vehicle at the time he showed me his current issues.....slight rocking of the driver's seat (with great effort he was able to extract some flex from the mounting frame) slight miss-alinement of one or two body panels (we are talking minisual, fractions of a millimetre) a very slight rough edge on the indicator stem etc.....
He was becoming visibly agitated as he progressed through his list.
Definatley OCD. Life is too short. I guess I'm at the other end of that scale.
boatman

Re: OCD and motorcycle ownership.

Post by boatman »

I am with you on that,,,,just ride the things, not interested in perfection , just enough prepp to make them do the stuff you want .
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

no different at work, complaints i get i just wanna smash their faces in, but just smile.

steve
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Riding is the new detailing...
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

SteveW wrote:Are some people just unlucky with their bikes? Or are we talking OCD?
Loads of times, little (to me insignificant) "faults" on my bike have been pointed out to me.
A spec of rust, a slightly misaligned panel, a rough edge on a component, or a slight surging or uneven tick over, a slight hesitation on pick-up etc.....
All stuff I've been blissfully unaware of. What subsequent action do I take? Well, I just forget about it.
I accept that we live in an imperfect world and I don't want to drive myself to distraction by wasting my life complaining endlessly about minor issues, that for me are pretty insignificant and don't detract from the operation of the bike.
But some people have their bar set too high with their expectations and become serial complainers.
I once had a Mercedes Vito 205 sport van. A six cylinder 205 bhp beastly of a thing.
I was talking to a car valeter who had the same van. In his 18 months of ownership it had been back to the main dealership eight times, he'd only had use of the van for 12 of the 18 months he'd owned it.
He listed the faults, and because he was with his vehicle at the time he showed me his current issues.....slight rocking of the driver's seat (with great effort he was able to extract some flex from the mounting frame) slight miss-alinement of one or two body panels (we are talking minisual, fractions of a millimetre) a very slight rough edge on the indicator stem etc.....

I keep mine well serviced.....usually only washing it once per year after my annual longer distance ride out....it stays parked with a full tank in case anyone arrives asking for a ride out at the last minute....it'll get dirty very soon after any wash.

After all......it's only a motorbike,something to have fun on and with...bend it and mend it...ride on.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

WIBO wrote:
SteveW wrote:Are some people just unlucky with their bikes? Or are we talking OCD?

I keep mine well serviced.....usually only washing it once per year after my annual longer distance ride out....it stays parked with a full tank in case anyone arrives asking for a ride out at the last minute....it'll get dirty very soon after any wash.

After all......it's only a motorbike,something to have fun on and with...bend it and mend it...ride on.

:)

Good God man!
Don't be posting pictures of dirty motorcycles on here.......the consequences could be devastating.
Delete that photo for the sake of the mental health of some of the viewers.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

There are varying degrees of motorcycle OCD and i think i must be somewhere in the middle as after every trail ride i would clean my bike lube and protect everything etc and i cannot bear to look at anything that needs replacing or repairing. :( I knew one bloke that wanted to come trail riding with us and we got the bikes in a right state and he had to give up because he couldn,t keep up with the maintenance,by all acounts he was taking nearly all week to get the bike ready for the following weekend. It even included.....get this,removing the tyres so he could clean inside the wheel rims! :P I sometimes cannot bear to take my GS out on the wet salty roads in winter as everything deteriorates so quickly.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'm with you frenchy......
I've got a hot jet washer that I give my bike a quick wash over with after every winter ride, I also give it a quick blast with my airline and a squirt of GT85. 10 minutes max and my bikes are always garaged.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

frenchy3 wrote:There are varying degrees of motorcycle OCD and i think i must be somewhere in the middle as after every trail ride i would clean my bike lube and protect everything etc and i cannot bear to look at anything that needs replacing or repairing.

I sometimes cannot bear to take my GS out on the wet salty roads in winter as everything deteriorates so quickly.
That's me

Trail or Trials bike washed as soon as I get home

GSA, in garage over winter

If I get on some bikes, I think how the feck can they ride this, bent handlebars and guards, levers all over the shop
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

johnnyboxer wrote:If I get on some bikes, I think how the feck can they ride this, bent handlebars and guards, levers all over the shop
I suspect that some will say you have OCD then :dry:

Return to “THE PUB”