Using a Mobile While Driving.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
PankGS

Re: Using a Mobile While Driving.

Post by PankGS »

I totally agree with all that's been said but I must also add what about the people eating drinking rummaging around for CDs applying makeup filling out delivery forms.I could go on and on.The average motorist seams quite oblivious to the safety issues how do we change that ?.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

PankGS wrote:I totally agree with all that's been said but I must also add what about the people eating drinking rummaging around for CDs applying makeup filling out delivery forms.I could go on and on.The average motorist seams quite oblivious to the safety issues how do we change that ?.
Human nature is hard to change ..hence why driverless vehicles will eventually be the answer ...funny how bikers always seem to be the ones demanding change of everyone else ...looking at the stats we probably ought to look closer to home first ....
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Gedge wrote:
captinktm wrote:It's time to wake up! The government don't want to stop mobile phone use while driving in your vehicle, if they did then why are all the transmitters on the main roads? In Cornwall the only place to get a good signal is on the A38. They could stop this problem over night by simply fitting a phone jamming device in all new cars and at the next mot for owned vehicles. Oh but what about the hands free? Its just as bad in my eye's, your still engrossed in a conversation and not really concentrating on the road. But then we get all up tight about this problem because we can see it. What about about the shite drivers? The old guy who never took a test in his life and now his eye sight is failing? Or the woman putting on her makeup? Or the guy trying to fix the CD player while doing 70 plus? The phone one is easy to fix, but just imagine at what cost to telecom firms.
I think we are well past the time of ' old guy that never took a test' ...the driving test was compulsory from 1935...anyone who reached 17 from then on has had to pass the test meaning the only drivers who didn't would now be 97 ..anyone left that has never taken a test is a criminal and range from the age if about 11 upwards ...
Rubbish! My dad who would have been 85 never took a test, he was a young farm worker during the war and did n't need to.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

PankGS wrote:I totally agree with all that's been said but I must also add what about the people eating drinking rummaging around for CDs applying makeup filling out delivery forms.I could go on and on.The average motorist seams quite oblivious to the safety issues how do we change that ?.
I think this sort of started back with the Volvo. The attitude that I am not going to get hurt in a crash. I have often said that the driver of a car should sit on the bonnet enclosed in nothing more than a egg shell dome with his legs dangling over the front. Now let see how they drive!Most people don't think they will be hurt in an accident, so don't don't really care.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Mike54 wrote:Sadly it'll take a truck ploughing into a load of people and killing them, with the driver then proved to have be texting to actually do something proper in law.
Sadly it has already happened, a driver convicted last week for killing a family of 4 and another convicted a couple of weeks ago for killing a female car driver. I hope it does bring about change but the reality is people who use a phone whilst driving do not consider anybody else so won't change their behaviour, even if it could lead to taking an innocent persons Life.
The only way to stop it is to jam the signal once the engine has started but driverless cars will be the norm before we ever consider infringing somebody's civil liberties.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Cone

Post by Cone »

I remember many years ago I saw a BBC documentary that described how a persons personality changed when they got behind a wheel. How the feeling of danger vanished and the feeling of being protected safe behind the cage of your vehicle made you a more agresive and dangerous driver.

This was before the texting epidemic.

A mid 20s bloke overtook me in the fast lane the other day texting with both hands steering with his knees. I was doing 75 so he must have been 85...

I agree its now the culture and the norm and the less traffic cops on the road the more people will do it.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

captinktm wrote:
Gedge wrote: I think we are well past the time of ' old guy that never took a test' ...the driving test was compulsory from 1935...anyone who reached 17 from then on has had to pass the test meaning the only drivers who didn't would now be 97 ..anyone left that has never taken a test is a criminal and range from the age if about 11 upwards ...
Rubbish! My dad who would have been 85 never took a test, he was a young farm worker during the war and did n't need to.
I think you are both correct.

My Mum was also in the Land Army in WW2 and was given a driving licence without passing a test. However IIRC from what she said, it was a wartime conscession bought out of need in a time of crisis.

Standby....what is happening to me ..... am I being diplomatic ? .... hopefullly it will pass soon.... :whistle:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Old Git Ray wrote:
captinktm wrote:
Gedge wrote: I think we are well past the time of ' old guy that never took a test' ...the driving test was compulsory from 1935...anyone who reached 17 from then on has had to pass the test meaning the only drivers who didn't would now be 97 ..anyone left that has never taken a test is a criminal and range from the age if about 11 upwards ...
I think you are both correct.

My Mum was also in the Land Army in WW2 and was given a driving licence without passing a test. However IIRC from what she said, it was a wartime conscession bought out of need in a time of crisis.

Standby....what is happening to me ..... am I being diplomatic ? .... hopefullly it will pass soon.... :whistle:
The driving test was suspended for a few years during WW2 but most of those were trained to drive by the military and VAST majority of them are now dead or have since the war taken and past a test ...to keep harping on about licence free drivers is plain silly ...they represent a minuscule % of drivers on the road ....

Ps not to call anyone mistaken but 17 in 1945, would be 88 by now ..
XTChris

Post by XTChris »

I am amazed at what some people do whilst they are driving. Not long ago I saw a lady driving along eating a bowl of cereal!

I recently bought myself a helmet camera so I can at least have evidence of the idiots and would report them if necessary.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

XTChris wrote:I am amazed at what some people do whilst they are driving. Not long ago I saw a lady driving along eating a bowl of cereal!

I recently bought myself a helmet camera so I can at least have evidence of the idiots and would report them if necessary.
I couldn't bring myself to report anyone for any offence unless I was witness to an accident when I'd simply say what I'd seen.

Apart from that I've come to the the sad conclusion that too many people look on a helmet camera as a tool that they can use to prove they were the innocent party in an accident when some sensible defensive riding might have actually prevented the accident.

Return to “THE PUB”