Leicester FC

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AndyB

Re: Leicester FC

Post by AndyB »

Apart from being dragged along with my wife to watch Everton I rarely go to football matches, I'd sooner go and watch rugby union wherever the nearest team is. Fortunately we still live close enough to Bedford for me to be able to go regularly and the first time I went was over 50 years ago (thumbs)

The wife is one of those new fans who first went about 12 years ago but Bedford aren't a bad team overall so she's had it easy :)
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

AndyB wrote:Those 'new fans' are the ones that didn't give up after the team narrowly avoided relegation last season aren't they?

Over the last few weeks there have been stories floating around the internet regarding the price being asked for tickets on Saturday and surely the club can keep an eye on the usual places selling tickets, check who the original buyer was and ban them from every game in the future?

I really hate ticket touts no matter what the sport or occasion :angry:
The problem is a bit complex. While I acknowledge that success will always drags in new fans we've always had an issue with ticket allocation. This season, not even being a gold or silver member has guaranteed a ticket because the office salts them out to mates and mates of mates who fancy a bit of glory spotting. We had the same during our two promotions too.

While some of the tickets being auctioned/offered up come from season ticket holders the majority are for the away section as Everton fans seek to find £300+ per ticket...and they're being sold at that price too.

By 'new fans' I allude to the kind of person who goes to Old Trafford, buys a half&half scarf and then spends the whole match taking selfies of themselves and uploading to Facebook. Sure, I welcome any new supporter - but retain utter disdain for the tourists. We've had far too many of these this season and it's only going to get worse if we keep this up.
Africa Twin
BillyC

Post by BillyC »

GreenT wrote:Nearly as good as Forest when they came up from Div2 and won it 1st attempt :whistle:
As did Ipswich... (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'll ask my wife how many Leicester fans were in the away section when she gets home on Saturday night. Everton come down hard on fans who sell their tickets on for a profit though it'd be hard to be able to tell who sold to a genuine Leicester supporter at face value and who sold for a profit.

My wife was going to offer her spare tickets to someone we know who does go to Leicester matches but in the end she got rid of them to Everton supporters from Northampton who she often travels to matches with. How does she get the tickets? She's a shareholder as well as being a season ticket holder and buys a ticket for one of her friends every week but in my name so that gives her plenty of options.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

threepot wrote:I've only been a fan for a week,and we've already won the Premiership! :P
And maybe Tigers can win the Premiership in the Rugby, and get Leicester a Double!!! (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)
mondo traveller

Post by mondo traveller »

AndyB wrote:I turned down a ticket for the game on Saturday when they'll pick up the trophy otherwise you could have had it.

My wife is still going and I'm now wishing I'd taken the offer up because it'll be a hell of a party in the town centre both before and after the game. She actually had 4 tickets available and when I said she should get rid of them to Leicester supporters her reply was if they wanted to go regularly they'd be season ticket holders :pinch:

Sorry but your wife is totally wrong in the last sentence, not everyone can afford to pay out £400 plus in one lump sum for a season ticket, and the club I follow 'cap' the amount of season tickets they sell so it gives other fans a chance to see the team, many Leicester 'fans' will only be 'fans' till it goes tits-up.
mondo traveller

Post by mondo traveller »

SteveW wrote:

Leicester's success gives hope to clubs like Burnley, Palace, Swansea, Stoke, Ipswich, Derby, Hull, Forest, etc......

Mr W, Don't include 'my team'...........We now run with 'The Big Dogs'!!! :laugh:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

mondo traveller wrote:
AndyB wrote:I turned down a ticket for the game on Saturday when they'll pick up the trophy otherwise you could have had it.

My wife is still going and I'm now wishing I'd taken the offer up because it'll be a hell of a party in the town centre both before and after the game. She actually had 4 tickets available and when I said she should get rid of them to Leicester supporters her reply was if they wanted to go regularly they'd be season ticket holders :pinch:

Sorry but your wife is totally wrong in the last sentence, not everyone can afford to pay out £400 plus in one lump sum for a season ticket, and the club I follow 'cap' the amount of season tickets they sell so it gives other fans a chance to see the team, many Leicester 'fans' will only be 'fans' till it goes tits-up.
On the cost part it's apparently cheaper to put the ticket on a credit card and pay the interest than buy a ticket for each match when they become available. That's apparently and because I don't buy them I don't know for certain.

The capping of season ticket holders does happen, you're right there but no doubt at the moment there are nearly as many life time Leicester supporters as there are people who were there when the Berlin Wall came down (thumbs)
desmo666

Post by desmo666 »

I can not quite believe it just yet, been a fan for many many years, then a season ticket holder and now I work there, it is mental.I dreamt of the FA cup, the title was never on my agenda.
It will be a great great party on Sat.
lets everyone enjoy it, and well done to the Everton fans that have been letting Leicester fans see the game, there is a lot of comradery between the clubs.Image[/img]
threepot

Post by threepot »

Think most clubs gain new fans when they achieve. Swansea sell out every home game since they've been in the Premiership. But a friend who's a longtime Swans supporter told me,years ago when they were in the lower divisions,during a match,the groundsman came up to him,and asked if he was staying till the end of the game? To which he replied yes. The groundsman passed him a bunch of key's,and said 'lock up when you leave' ! ;)

Return to “THE PUB”