Unseen cost's

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mark1961

Re: Unseen cost's

Post by Mark1961 »

Mac 60 wrote:23 years and id do it all again. The worst thing for most soldiers isent life in the forces its life after the forces. Eventually you end up in civi street working with a bunch of people who walked straight into an office or factory from school and for them excitment/adventure is a package holiday to Spain. They dont get you and you dont want to get them. Why do you think there are so many ex forces bods on here. I think its because we seek out like minded people who not nessecarily are ex forces but arnt content to go through life rapped in cotton wool only to arrive safely at death. Yea the real problems start when you take the uniform off.
Redmurty iam sorry for your mate, i often visit Brookwood military cemetary to visit some of my old friends. Salute.
Well said. I did 22 years, best years of my life. Would I do it all again? You bet.

I've been out 15 years now and still can't call myself a civvi.

Pass on my best wish to you bootneck mukka. Respect to all those who have served.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Old Git Ray wrote:I am an ex pongo and served in the Falklands and NI but only got PTSD after leaving the military and joining the police. I had an incident (long boring story) involving a shooting, a visit to hospital and a lot of TV cameras.

However what I wanted to say was that my PTSD manifested itself as me thinking I was bullet proof and acting like a complete animal at work (not a good thing for a copper). I would sort out fights etc on my own and got ridiculously exited when my colleagues were getting worried about impending violence and danger.

(Before anyone suggests it - I did not abuse anyone or get any complaints from the public - it did not effect my principles)

I was so bad that my mates were refusing to work with me. I was a ticking time bomb. Fortunately I was ordered to take 2 weeks off work, to cool off and the force doctor finally allowed back to work 9 months later. In the mean time I received counselling and was sent to Aikido classes to temper my anger.

It worked. I am now a retired and only slightly mad person. :evil: I am also now the proud owner of a longer surname courtesy of Her Majesty. (thumbs)

So YES. IMHO, treatment does work and should be freely available especially to those that serve our country.
Pretty much my story as well, except the dreams at night as "poor old Simon" knows as he was stood outside my night one night at the first "HISS" I attended.
At work I would quite happy walk into the deepest shite pile because that's where I found I was alive and unbelieveably calm, a calmness I crave for all the time hence my very none threatening job as a masseur. I once had a very good career offer from the HA :whistle:

I know some of the jobs my mate did and I'm not surprised at all about his issues.

It would hurt recruiting if the true costs were known, but at least now a days there is more help available there was none when I left the club as once you were gone you no longer belonged.

Thanks again for the thoughts lads

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Got my mate out on day release yesterday, I think he had a good day out.

Interesting story,

he can't get released until he has some where to go and some funding, he can't get some where to go as no one will give him any funds. Government dept's are arguing amongst themselves as to who should pay him, in the mean time he is stuck in a half way house.

So the next few days will be research re charities ect to see if and what can be done

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”