EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AlanHolt

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by AlanHolt »

I've just picked up my Serbian friend from Barcelona airport. His flight landed on time but it took him over an hour to get through to arrivals. When I asked what the delay was, he told me everyone had to get their passport stamped with their entry date. Then it occurred to me that this is something else we have taken for granted for decades. If every British passport at every port and airport has to be stamped with an entry date, the delays are going to be huge, particularly at Dover and Calais. And at British ports and airports, there will no longer be a queue for EU and non-EU, everyone will be treated the same with the UK having 3rd country status.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

AlanHolt, not sure about everybody else, maybe I was unlucky a few times, but after flying to Amsterdam, Italy etc I always seem to get my passport carefully looked at (along with everybody else) and stamping a date on it would add very little to the process. When leaving the same countries I have had bags checked (emptied out not just X-ray), passport, boarding card (3 times before my last flight), full body X-ray etc etc. Not sure how much will change to delay the process anymore. If there are countries that rely heavily on our cash for tourism they would be fools to delay us at the point of entry as hopefully people will just go to places that provide enough customs / immigration officials to make the process efficient. We should do the same at our points of entry though I do realize we probably won't, but then we need to apply pressure to get the situation changed.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I've only had my passport checked about 50% of the times. But the problem is this 90 days out of 180 rule , and no more than 182 days a year rule, that will come into force when the UK leaves the EU. Those dates and stamps will need to be checked and monitored, hence the longer queues for non-EU citizens at airports. Bags may also be checked more due to changes in duty-free allowances. At the moment, this is all very relaxed as we are all members.

I'll put a scenario forward. A wealthy retired biker, living in the UK, decides to head to Spain for a tour and he is there for 90 days. When he returns, his mates sat they are going to the Pico's next month. He can't go, he's used his 90 days and needs to sit in the UK for 90.

Another scenario, a retired biker goes to Spain for 90 days in the winter. Then he has 90 days in the UK and then goes to Spain for 60 days, back to the UK for 90 days, then goes back to Spain for 5 weeks (35 days) He has now exceeded the 182 days a year as a visitor and Spain can demand tax on his income.

And as your passport will be stamped at the point of entry, even if you don't spend all 90 days in one country, if between entering calais and returning to Dover it could look as though you have exceeded your time as a non-eu visitor.

It's all good for thought, washed down with a glass of sovereignty.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Brexit ANXIETY DISORDER:

"Obsessed Remainers suffering from extreme psychological disorder
BREXIT has triggered an extreme psychological disorder among obsessed middle-class Remainers, according to two leading experts.
The condition, dubbed Brexit Anxiety Disorder, causes the pro-European middle classes to behave irrationally - so much so, those who fit the profile have been labelled ‘Remainiacs’ by professionals.

Psychologists say these Remainiacs are acting no different than those suffering from chronic anxiety caused by complete loss of control and insecurity, Politico reports.

Dr. Philip Corr, professor of psychology and behavioural economics at the University of London, and Dr. Simon Stuart, a clinical psychologist, say these so-called Remainiacs can be spotted a mile off.

They are, the pair say, prone to anger, despair and rumination and slip into polarised “in” and “out” groups to seek demonisation of Brexiteers."

I don't know why but the article seems to have missed the bit about the worst sufferers not even fucking living here, but we all knew that anyway :lol:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

It affects British immigrants more than you think. Town halls here are only issuing padrons ( proof that you live or own property here ) dated to the 29th March. There is a 6 month wait to get an appointment for residency status. People are being stopped from exchanging their British driving licence for a Spanish one. Had everyone known the exit terms prior to the referendum, everyone would have know what lay ahead. Having had to wait almost a year to get a licence to advertise the business legally, I now wont automatically qualify for residency before brexit. Thinking I may have to leave and after my 90 days in the UK, return and try and sort it out. And all because of lies that hoodwinked 52% of the population. So yes, I'm angry at leave voters. I'm sick of debunking Every reason they give for voting to leave.
Last edited by AlanHolt on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

HedgeHopper wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:01 pm Brexit ANXIETY DISORDER:

"Obsessed Remainers suffering from extreme psychological disorder
BREXIT has triggered an extreme psychological disorder among obsessed middle-class Remainers, according to two leading experts.
The condition, dubbed Brexit Anxiety Disorder, causes the pro-European middle classes to behave irrationally - so much so, those who fit the profile have been labelled ‘Remainiacs’ by professionals.

Psychologists say these Remainiacs are acting no different than those suffering from chronic anxiety caused by complete loss of control and insecurity, Politico reports.

Dr. Philip Corr, professor of psychology and behavioural economics at the University of London, and Dr. Simon Stuart, a clinical psychologist, say these so-called Remainiacs can be spotted a mile off.

They are, the pair say, prone to anger, despair and rumination and slip into polarised “in” and “out” groups to seek demonisation of Brexiteers."

I don't know why but the article seems to have missed the bit about the worst sufferers not even fucking living here, but we all knew that anyway :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

AlanHolt wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 pm I've only had my passport checked about 50% of the times. But the problem is this 90 days out of 180 rule , and no more than 182 days a year rule, that will come into force when the UK leaves the EU. Those dates and stamps will need to be checked and monitored, hence the longer queues for non-EU citizens at airports. Bags may also be checked more due to changes in duty-free allowances. At the moment, this is all very relaxed as we are all members.

I'll put a scenario forward. A wealthy retired biker, living in the UK, decides to head to Spain for a tour and he is there for 90 days. When he returns, his mates sat they are going to the Pico's next month. He can't go, he's used his 90 days and needs to sit in the UK for 90.

Another scenario, a retired biker goes to Spain for 90 days in the winter. Then he has 90 days in the UK and then goes to Spain for 60 days, back to the UK for 90 days, then goes back to Spain for 5 weeks (35 days) He has now exceeded the 182 days a year as a visitor and Spain can demand tax on his income.

And as your passport will be stamped at the point of entry, even if you don't spend all 90 days in one country, if between entering calais and returning to Dover it could look as though you have exceeded your time as a non-eu visitor.

It's all good for thought, washed down with a glass of sovereignty.
As things stand, Alan's facts are quite correct. Same issue in France, of course. It's a nightmare for holiday home owners and travellers who want to go on multiple long-period trips.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

sorry to hear of these difficulties, and hope they improve .. I am sure they will improve once all the dust settles, as it is the common interest?

.. but it was not even 52% of the population that voted for Brexit.
which may go towards the problems ..
it was 52% of the voting!! population that actually turned up to vote.

UK population = 65m
electorate = 46m eligible to vote
ref, turnout = 72% of eligable voters
voted leave = 52% of the 72% turnout from the 46m = 17m

this is 26% of the population.

so about 74% of the UK population either voted FOR EU membership (16m?), or were not allowed to vote (19m).

I presume the stats do not include illegal immigrants or visitors
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Or put another way..

>1/4 voted leave
<1/4 voted remain
1/2 did not vote
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Another leaver sent me a link to David Cameron's speech about the referendum. Upon scrutinising it, Cameron said 'there might be renegotiating and another referendum'.

Screenshot_20190210-161339.png
Screenshot_20190210-161339.png (211.32 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

Return to “THE PUB”