EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by daveuprite »

Did a quick experiment. Tracie ordered some makeup from the UK a week ago. It arrived yesterday. £59 worth of stuff.

The factrisse (post lady) stopped and knocked. She needed a cheque for 24 euros to pay the customs duties...

Tracie has ordered from this company before and obviously never had to pay duties before Jan 1st this year. Thank you Brexit.

So that's another UK company that will not be receiving any orders from EU-resident customers in future.

If any brexiter damage-denier on here thinks this is 'rubbish' and accuses me of lying, I will happily post up the douane bill to prove it.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Wife went to Sainsbury's this morning, and was surprised at some of the gaps on the shelves.... mainly for things that normally came from European mainland ... Edam cheese, various fruit and veg! Wasn't like that before we had this "sovereignty" (just sayin')
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

hotbulb wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:08 pm Wife went to Sainsbury's this morning, and was surprised at some of the gaps on the shelves.... mainly for things that normally came from European mainland ... Edam cheese, various fruit and veg! Wasn't like that before we had this "sovereignty" (just sayin')
Are Sainsbury's selling "happy fish"? :?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

those Scottish fishermen who were soft-headed enough to believe Farage, BJ, and Mogg would all happily take them to sea and drown them now, I hear.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 pm
Spike941 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 pm Am I right in thinking anyone living full time in Scotland, regardless of nationality, is eligible to vote re independence? Any mileage to be gained in moving to Scotland before any next referendum, and if the country gets independence, do all full time residents automatically qualify for a Scottish (possible future EU) passport?
Yes, the last vote was open to residents.

Scotland is a very welcoming nation, you can tell by the amount of English people who have already taken up residence in Edinburgh.

Given the lax rules for playing for the national football team... Did yer granny have a Westie dug son? Aye! Yer in. I suspect we could work something out.
That's us in then. I'm a Turnbull, old family from Selkirk area, trace my family history back to the clans.
We thought about moving to Scotland years ago but never got round to it, for a whole host of reasons, should have done it then. Suspect main reason was we live so close (Northumberland) and easily visit when we want to. Wonderful country.
I think we'd be one of the first applicants! Pity I'm so old, might be gone before independence enables it!
Irony for me is my wife is dual National (German and English) so can travel how she pleases, just using the appropriate passport.
Ah well, thank goodness I've got my own pub 'The Greyhound' in the back garden, fire lit, line cleaned, cask connected, soon put the World to rights!
''Another working (shitty Brexit) week is over
no chance of staying sober
I can feel a good one coming on''
(Blackberry Smoke)
DSCF9100.JPG
DSCF9100.JPG (182.59 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
DSCF9104.JPG
DSCF9104.JPG (193.79 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I love the look of The Greyhound.... (the pub and the dog!).

A live music venue too. Excellent. I imagine life is one long lock-in right now?

Re. the subject... out of everyone from the UK we know here in France ALL those with recent Irish ancestry (parent/grandparent) have got themselves an Eire passport in the last year or two. I'm sure there would be a similar rush to prove 'scottish-ness' if Scotland managed to rejoin the EU. There's even a guy we know of in Bellac, born in Swindon with a UK passport, but with one Greek parent - who never had (or particularly wanted) dual nationality before but who has now applied for his birthright - a Greek passport. The difference it will make to his options here will be significant, just as those removed from me by brexit are too.

Exactly where you or your parents/grandparents emerged from a vagina one day decades ago has never been more important. :lol: Absurd but true.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

simonw

Post by simonw »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:55 pm<snip> Exactly where you or your parents/grandparents emerged from a vagina one day decades ago has never been more important. :lol: Absurd but true.
Are you saying that hitherto you have underestimated the importance of vaginas?
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

The greyhounds both look great,
Unfortunately all my DNA for a long way back seems to be English. I might try for Irish citizenship on grounds that I have a certificate from the Guinness brewery and all the early SLF and Pogues albums. I think I now own about an acre of Islay as I get a square ft for every bottle of Laphroaig I drink, so that might qualify me as slightly Scottish. I must have drunk about a vineyard’s worth of French red over the years and have helped keep Moto Guzzi spares department in business for about twenty five years.
I do think there is a serious issue with children who were born as EU citizens and have had that taken away from them. I expect that there will be many of them who will ask when they are older, how their parents generation could have been so stupid as to throw their rights away.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Oop North John wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:17 pm

Are Sainsbury's selling "happy fish"? :?
Not sure, but the sole (dover or lemon??) didn't look at all pleased!

Return to “THE PUB”