EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by daveuprite »

mark vb wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:42 pm
daveuprite wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:10 pm https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... est-abroad

Warning. Do not read this article if you only want to see 'optimistic' news. There are ostrich head burial sites elsewhere with the news you're looking for.
Just remember, all news articles should be taken with a pinch of salt, and the Guardian is no exception. I've no axe to grind, but it was interesting to read the Guardian article you posted a short while ago concerning the new lorry park proposed on the outskirts of Dover - it was factually incorrect in a number of respects and, in my view, sought to sensationalize the matter and paint it in as bad a light as possible. How can I say this?.... well, it's a few miles down the road from me and I'm paying attention to the facts alone, not the rhetoric.
I agree - that's fair enough, mark. If they made mistakes in that article then they should correct them. Maybe they did, I don't know. Problem is papers often print retractions and apologies a week later on page 17! I'm not a Guardian share-holder (you can't be one - it's a Trust), but on balance I get a better quality of coverage, and importantly 'critical' thinking, from The Guardian than most other papers. It doesn't have a 'proprietor' so it can't be influenced internally. In election day editorials it wavers between advising readers to vote Lib Dem or Blairite Labour. A very centrist/centre-left stance. And it still offers web access without a paywall and has probably the best managed 'Comment is Free' comment facility - where you often find good input from experts and international perspectives. The Independent and Observer have a good go too, on the whole. Otherwise the UK press is either tabloid trash not worth the time of day or highly partisan right wing mouthpieces for the tory party. We all know this - it's not contentious - but sadly it is true. Personally I think it's other media (eg facebook, twitter) that has more impact and influence these days. The vast majority of brexiteers, trumpists, climate change deniers, covid sceptics etc will never ever read a copy of The Guardian anyway!

Part of the problem is that newspapers are having to maintain readership levels by mixing reportage with opinion pieces. It makes them more entertaining. But when taken away from the overall context of the whole paper, a very opinionated op-ed piece can give the mistaken impression that it is the official 'view' of the paper. Just as Boris Johnson's writing in the Spectator did not reflect the paper's overall world view, the political sketches of John Crace do not typify The Guardian's position on everything. Papers changed many years ago from full-time staffers towing the line to commissioned work from freelancers. It does bring variety though.

The bigger concern IMO is what now happens to broadcast media, i.e. TV. Does it start to follow the American model? Andrew Neil has just been appointed the head of a new 'news channel' (yet to go on air) which will apparently bring a Fox News type of coverage to british TV. That is worrying.

(It's still inexcusable to print material which is supposed to be factual reporting if it's not checked thoroughly first.)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

One of the advantages of the Guardian is that it is free online, whereas most other papers make you pay to access their web content. I read a lot in the Times, Telegraph and FT at the start of the Brexit debate but they have all started charging for their content now.
What was interesting in the lorry park article was the number of these parks they are building and the fact that they are starting them now, not four and a half years ago, or even a year ago, after Bojo was elected. Once again this government has, as with Covid, shown it’s total inability to consider the impact of their decisions on other people and to plan ahead.
simonw

Post by simonw »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:09 pm<snip> Part of the problem is that newspapers are having to maintain readership levels by .... <snip>
And politicians are having to maintain their electability levels by ....

As a general (linked) aside, I watched the government briefing the other night, on the day 100,000 deaths was announced, and the Q&A session at the end. The BBC reporter (Laura something or another I think) said "On this sad day are thoughts are of course with blah etc. Prime minster, you said before that 20,000 deaths from this would be a "good" result. Now that they're FIVE TIMES that, what would you call it?". I'm not a BBC basher by any strength, but what hope have we of getting to the facts with that puerile level of "journalism". I thought they all said their role was to hold politicians to account. On this occasion it seemed that it was more about getting a cheap soundbite for an even cheaper headline. Garbage.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Regardless of whether you like the BBC, Guardian whatever. At the moment no one seems to be holding this government to account. The corruption, nepotism and incompetence that they demonstrate are at a level not seen in my lifetime. Unfortunately we seem to be stuck with them for at least the next four years.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Jak* wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm Regardless of whether you like the BBC, Guardian whatever. At the moment no one seems to be holding this government to account. The corruption, nepotism and incompetence that they demonstrate are at a level not seen in my lifetime. Unfortunately we seem to be stuck with them for at least the next four years.
True for sure, they seem to be pleasing no one. Boris going to scotland today is a shocking error fo judgement. Wee Jimmy Kranky is playing such a strong game against him he doesn't stand a chance.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

More news from the 'sunlit uplands'....GKN to close its factory in Birmingham....500 jobs to go...we are 'prospering mightily' post Brexit!

I trust Boris will visit...photo opportunity for him in a hi-viz and hard hat, handing out the P45s...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Jak* wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm Regardless of whether you like the BBC, Guardian whatever. At the moment no one seems to be holding this government to account. The corruption, nepotism and incompetence that they demonstrate are at a level not seen in my lifetime. Unfortunately we seem to be stuck with them for at least the next four years.
Off on a tangent, but today the Guardian had two different stories.

In one, the Earth was hotter than ever in the last 12000 years, in another, examination of dead beetles showed Great Britain was much warmer than today 4000 years ago. But 'the science' is, of course 'settled'!
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

There will probably be a repeat performance of the childish EU Threats in months to come when they dont get forst dibbs on the the new NOVAVAX vaccine, despite the UK ordered last August, but the EU Commission is still discussing amongst themselves whether too

Pathetic
Its a trick............get an Axe
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

The benevolent EU has contributed £400m towards the Covax scheme whereas the UK alone has contributed £500m
I'm not saying self interest is criminal, but there are a few confused souls who will always present such behaviour as abominable if its the UK doing it
The EU has always been a Business cartel whose central goal is financial stability for those in the club.
the moral arguments have always been Bullshit.
Its a trick............get an Axe
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Asgard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 am There will probably be a repeat performance of the childish EU Threats in months to come when they dont get forst dibbs on the the new NOVAVAX vaccine, despite the UK ordered last August, but the EU Commission is still discussing amongst themselves whether too

Pathetic
True that they are having a tantrum caused by their own dithering. But in terms of childish threats we are in position to throw stones considering the apalling behavior from our goverment over Northern Island and withdrawal agreement.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “THE PUB”