EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Brenhden

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Brenhden »

OK, so you guys probably all know my political leanings on the subject of Brexit but I think I have some genuinely good news I heard on the radio this morning.

It sounds like european automatic speed cameras will no longer be able to send fines to Britian any more. You can still get on the spot fine from cops but not the in the post kind.

Makes no odds to me on a 250 but for you continent crossing crotch rocket types this has got to be good news :D
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am Makes no odds to me on a 250 but for you continent crossing crotch rocket types this has got to be good news :D
They' could still have them in urban areas, like we do, so eve a moped might fall foul of them :lol:

Hopefully not jinxed myself as never been stopped / flashed etc on the other side of the English Channel :)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am It sounds like european automatic speed cameras will no longer be able to send fines to Britian any more. You can still get on the spot fine from cops but not the in the post kind.
If it's true then I'm really pleased for UK bikers travelling in the EU. As you say Brenhden, it's the single advantage to Brexit I've come across. Although that depends on your point of view of course. Pro speed camera campaigners will hate it.

I remember well the great days of bombing through France on sports bikes and using mountain passes as playgrounds. You can still open it up on D roads in the mountains today, but not on mainstream N-roads or A-route. You're almost bound to get flashed or hand-held radar trapped eventually. They hide behind motorway bridge pillars and round corners etc etc - it's unavoidable.

I wonder who will be first to test the theory that fines will no longer be posted to speeders from the UK? Any volunteers on here?
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:35 pm
Brenhden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am It sounds like european automatic speed cameras will no longer be able to send fines to Britian any more. You can still get on the spot fine from cops but not the in the post kind.
If it's true then I'm really pleased for UK bikers travelling in the EU. As you say Brenhden, it's the single advantage to Brexit I've come across. Although that depends on your point of view of course. Pro speed camera campaigners will hate it.

I remember well the great days of bombing through France on sports bikes and using mountain passes as playgrounds. You can still open it up on D roads in the mountains today, but not on mainstream N-roads or A-route. You're almost bound to get flashed or hand-held radar trapped eventually. They hide behind motorway bridge pillars and round corners etc etc - it's unavoidable.

I wonder who will be first to test the theory that fines will no longer be posted to speeders from the UK? Any volunteers on here?
Funny that, at first the agreement was said to be to continue sharing, wonder why its changed, maybe misinformation?

Anyway, apparently discussions are to continue......

I suspect the French will work out a system of checking plates into and out of France and impounding your vehicle till you pay (fun if you buy a bike that has been speeding). Definitely one to watch.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

dave h wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:11 pm the disrespect continues,

dave.
Another extraordinary post. "Disrespect"? Dear God. I'll tell you what's disrespectful....

Denying thousands of young people the chance to study in the EU, with all the cultural, linguistic and employment advantages that brings. That's disrespectful.

Destroying the ambitions of thousands more who had hoped and planned to live abroad, retire to Spain, work in Germany, restore a house to live in in France, start a business in Greece, etc etc. That's disrespect.

Forcing thousands of lorry drivers to wait in queues for hours or even days on end when they previously sailed through customs unimpeded, cluttering up Kent with HGVs and lay-by turds. That's disrespectful.

Removing billions of pounds worth of international trade from small UK businesses who cannot afford to employ customs agents to deal with piles of export red tape and whose products can no longer be priced competitively for EU buyers. That's disrespect.

Bankrupting fishermen and fresh produce suppliers who can no longer trade swiftly and efficiently due to new brexit restrictions - that's disrespect.

Trampling all over the freedoms of millions to travel unhindered and to settle abroad, and piling those already in the EU with paperwork and costs they never had to deal with before, removing their UK bank accounts and threatening their pensions. That's disrespect.

Making life so hostile and unpleasant for EU citizens working in the UK that they fear prejudice and in many cases choose to return home, taking their skills with them. That's disrespectful...
Chunkychops

Post by Chunkychops »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:47 pm

dave.
Another extraordinary post. "Disrespect"? Dear God. I'll tell you what's disrespectful....

Denying thousands of young people the chance to study in the EU, with all the cultural, linguistic and employment advantages that brings. That's disrespectful.

Destroying the ambitions of thousands more who had hoped and planned to live abroad, retire to Spain, work in Germany, restore a house to live in in France, start a business in Greece, etc etc. That's disrespect.

Forcing thousands of lorry drivers to wait in queues for hours or even days on end when they previously sailed through customs unimpeded, cluttering up Kent with HGVs and lay-by turds. That's disrespectful.

Removing billions of pounds worth of international trade from small UK businesses who cannot afford to employ customs agents to deal with piles of export red tape and whose products can no longer be priced competitively for EU buyers. That's disrespect.

Bankrupting fishermen and fresh produce suppliers who can no longer trade swiftly and efficiently due to new brexit restrictions - that's disrespect.

Trampling all over the freedoms of millions to travel unhindered and to settle abroad, and piling those already in the EU with paperwork and costs they never had to deal with before, removing their UK bank accounts and threatening their pensions. That's disrespect.

Making life so hostile and unpleasant for EU citizens working in the UK that they fear prejudice and in many cases choose to return home, taking their skills with them. That's disrespectful...
I was talking to a Brexit voting friend who doesn't have children and I told him all this and his reply was "None of this affects me so I really don't care"
dave h

Post by dave h »

dave.

Blimey that hit a nerve,
Must have took a while to comply that lot,
Now stop exaggerating,

Dave.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Chunkychops wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:56 pm

dave.

I was talking to a Brexit voting friend who doesn't have children and I told him all this and his reply was "None of this affects me so I really don't care"
Empathy is dead, long live being a bastard :(
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I took about 10 minutes to write that post (presumably you meant compile). There's not a single exaggeration in there. That's mainly because all the points in it are current facts about the impact of brexit. It's not difficult to write about how damaging brexit is; it's there for all to see. And in most cases the impacts were predicted anyway so don't come as any big surprise to those who put some thought into their 2016 vote. Those of us who suffer the consequences of brexit are living the impacts right now. Some have yet to feel it, but they will, as the jobs disappear and the opportunities diminish. Others - those who predicated the crisis - have insulated themselves from its effects and in some cases even profited from it. They'll be OK. If you voted for brexit, you voted to feather their nests.

Just because you don't care about the damage, or you're in some kind of denial about it, does not nullify it. And the protest about the damage of brexit will not abate until it's reversed.
dave h

Post by dave h »

Rubbish,

Dave.

Return to “THE PUB”