EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Flipflop

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Flipflop »

I believe that the one, very important, thing that politics has ignored over the years is human nature and it’s illogicality. Recently that has all changed - Trump, Brexit, rise of the right wing in Europe and beyond.

As a remain voter I now believe the best course of action for Britain is a no-deal Brexit. All sides agree that in the short term Britain will be worse off - deal or no deal. And any deal will be a bad deal.
So, with a deal, if Britain goes into economic decline over the next few years which then continues for the next 10 years the leave voters will blame ‘the deal’.
A no deal Brexit will give them what they want and, if in say 10 years, Britain is still in decline then it gives them the opportunity to say ‘well we tried, but perhaps we’re better off in the EU’ and another referendum.
If things take a positive turn then that can have the opposite effect for the remainders.

I feel that a bad deal will keep feeding the anger on both sides and keep the country split. I have said it many times - ‘divide and rule’ is the oldest political strategy in the book.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I agree as I said lets see how it pans out as reality will kick in as we try and make things work----and give it time for things to cool off as well--on both sides here, and over the channel .
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Compromise and agreement is the only way forward in Politics and commerce, eventually we will all pull back from the language of win and lose.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

A very good mate of mine, despite being a rabid Brexit supporter and dead against free movement and immigration, soon realised he’d been mis-sold a dream of making Britain great again. Given the chance to vote again, he admitted he’d vote remain. He’s now so concerned about next years shite shower, that in 4 weeks time he’s moving out to the Middle East for the next 10 years. Oh the irony. Lost on him of course, as being a Brit, that doesn’t count as immigration.
I did look at the idea of a Cypriot Golden EU passport, but I’m currently short by about £2,000,000 of the investment capital required. Well, back to the drawing board and here’s hoping the leavers got it right.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I think closing down debate is never a good idea although the title of this thread is a bit old now.

Whilst this is a fairly acrimonious thread it's a lot better than entrenched opinion marinading in it own echo chambers. I am lucky enough to have friends of all political persuasions, many of whom have totally cut ties with people from the oposite side of this agruement. They are so far apart now that as well as disagreeing they are no longer capable of understanding the language of each other. Crazy times. America is a great example that we can all look at objectively (as we are outside it) and see the damage it's doing to itself. It doesn;t matter who is right or wrong any more, the split is the most harmful part.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Brenhden wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:05 pm I think closing down debate is never a good idea although the title of this thread is a bit old now.

Whilst this is a fairly acrimonious thread it's a lot better than entrenched opinion marinading in it own echo chambers. I am lucky enough to have friends of all political persuasions, many of whom have totally cut ties with people from the oposite side of this agruement. They are so far apart now that as well as disagreeing they are no longer capable of understanding the language of each other. Crazy times. America is a great example that we can all look at objectively (as we are outside it) and see the damage it's doing to itself. It doesn;t matter who is right or wrong any more, the split is the most harmful part.
Spot on...I'm not posting on this any more, as it will soon be painfully obvious what the consequences of the vote are.
Elmer J Fudd

EU - out

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

BBC Breaking News: "Trade talks to enter the extra mile"

A tad ironic as we were supposed to have gone metric in the 1970's, but never did.

Perhaps the EU negotiators have reported that they have "entered the extra 1.609344km"
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

http://www.afairersociety.uk/2020/12/13 ... othermere/
If you voted Remain this will not surprise you, if you voted leave you probably won't care.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Pigeon holes....surprisingly few people live in em, despite ill intentioned attempts to place em there
I voted Leave and none of that surprises me in the least...everybodies at it

Heres a link you'll enjoy.... https://sophieehill.shinyapps.io/my-little-crony/
Its a trick............get an Axe
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Fishing is a miniscule part of GDP in the UK, so why is it being made to seem so important to the country?..........

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/ ... hael-gove/
Its a trick............get an Axe

Return to “THE PUB”