EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Spike941

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Spike941 »

garyboy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:06 pm I must say, all the cartoons and vids produced show a brilliance and fabulous creativity that can only come from Independent Thought, and Freedom of Spirit within a free democracy
Your Brexit sense of humour is no laughing matter, to a remainer.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Jak* wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:06 pm As Dave pointed out the one big winner form this whole debacle is the comedy. Sadly Jeremy Hardy’s untimely passing means that we will no longer hear his contributions on the subject. Still I am looking forward to seeing Henning Wehn in a couple of weeks time.
Cheers Jak
Ps looking at that picture it is no wonder that the Beano threatened to sue Rees Mogg for copying Walter the Softie’s image.

It is all rather comedic whichever side of the fence your on, though some here seem to take themselves and their particular viewpoint way too seriously (I think it's a way of projecting false integrity)

Have to admit I never heard of Jeremy Hardy till the announcement of his death, I gather he was a political comedian

I have seen Henning on HIGNFY (one of the few things I ever watch if I have the time) and he is definately funny, it's rare for someone to be able to express views very different to your own in a way that can make you smile....talented bloke

As for Rees Moog channeling Walter...Yes it's uncanny
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

If you haven't heard of Jeremy Hardy, then chances are you've never listened to Sorry I Haven't a Clue on radio 4. which is a shame. A classic long-running show that gets me rolling around nearly every week. I buy the CD sets when they come out, and they're brilliant for keeping you laughing on long van journeys. Give it a try.

Meanwhile, here's some fun from Joe:

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

So my understanding of today was that May was heading to Brussels to renegotiate the back stop. But after the talks we they came on and said she told them it wasn't up discussion. Nothing has changed and May isn't trying to change anything.

My (simple) understanding is:

1. We (Davis et al) agreed a deal with the EU that included a backstop.
2. Once agreed we (parliament) decided we didn't like the agreement we agreed to.
3. We (Parliament) sent may back to change it.
4. May went back with no intention of changing it.

Considering we cannot leave the EU customs union without a hard border it means that we have three options:

1. We stay in the customs union and brexit doesn't really happen.
2. We leave the customs union and get a hard boarder breaking the international legal treaty that is the Good Friday Agreement.
3. We leave the customs union but leave Northern Ireland in it, which will cause a general election and possibly also break the GFA.

EU can't be party to option 2 without also breaking the law (which they wont do).

How do we think this will play out?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm So my understanding of today was that May was heading to Brussels to renegotiate the back stop. But after the talks we they came on and said she told them it wasn't up discussion. Nothing has changed and May isn't trying to change anything.

My (simple) understanding is:

1. We (Davis et al) agreed a deal with the EU that included a backstop.
2. Once agreed we (parliament) decided we didn't like the agreement we agreed to.
3. We (Parliament) sent may back to change it.
4. May went back with no intention of changing it.

Considering we cannot leave the EU customs union without a hard border it means that we have three options:

1. We stay in the customs union and brexit doesn't really happen.
2. We leave the customs union and get a hard boarder breaking the international legal treaty that is the Good Friday Agreement.
3. We leave the customs union but leave Northern Ireland in it, which will cause a general election and possibly also break the GFA.

EU can't be party to option 2 without also breaking the law (which they wont do).

How do we think this will play out?
Funnily enough there is one splendid solution that solves every one of the above.... :roll:
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Brenhden wrote:How do we think this will play out?
Shortest odds = me down the pub with several pints. This really has turned into the biggest clusterfuck of modern times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

its looking more and more likely that Mrs May's sticking to her guns and facing down all opposition and humiliation will run down the clock and present to parliament just 2 options .. her deal or no deal .. as `no deal` is presented as Armageddon, that means that `her deal` will get through the meaningful vote thingy (again thing)
especially as she looks to be getting a lot of Labour votes on her side

not sure about NI and the backstop thing .. but that can be got over if there is a general will for harmony.

I always thought `her deal` was incredibly good, as it gives what I thought everyone wanted???

snowflake warning .. .. ..
If England gave up their colonies in NI, Wales, and Scotland, and Gibraltar .. things would be a lot simpler :lol:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:44 pm its looking more and more likely that Mrs May's sticking to her guns and facing down all opposition and humiliation will run down the clock and present to parliament just 2 options .. her deal or no deal .. as `no deal` is presented as Armageddon, that means that `her deal` will get through the meaningful vote thingy (again thing)

not sure about NI and the backstop thing .. but that can be got over if there is a general will for harmony.

I always thought `her deal` was incredibly good, as it gives what I thought everyone wanted???

If England gave up their colonies in NI, Wales, and Scotland, and Gibraltar .. things would be a lot simpler :lol:
All sounds true.

"If England gave up their colonies in NI, Wales, and Scotland, and Gibraltar .. things would be a lot simpler"

Suddenly the Fifth largest economy in the world really would become a bit like Singapore. This island we live on would be much less pleasant. I wouldn't blame them for a second though.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

garyboy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:44 pm its looking more and more likely that Mrs May's sticking to her guns and facing down all opposition and humiliation will run down the clock and present to parliament just 2 options .. her deal or no deal .. as `no deal` is presented as Armageddon, that means that `her deal` will get through the meaningful vote thingy (again thing)

Well Gary, I agree with you about Mrs May's deal. It's the best that we can hope for in the circumstances, and I don't see why the extreme Brexiters are against it. I understand fully why the DUP don't like it, but that's down to 'mental health issues'. They don't want NI to be treated as different to the rest of the UK, except they do want it to get rights to make its own laws and be given huge amounts of subsidy to burn trees to heat empty barns etc.
Flyfifer

Post by Flyfifer »

It seems to have gone quiet on here --_ is the awful reality of Brexit actually begun to sink in ?

Still Theresa May can say she was only following orders (of the tiny majority) but completely ignoring the ultimate common sense decision to actually Lead The Government.

Return to “THE PUB”