EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
[email protected]

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by [email protected] »

dave448 wrote:he's a Professor and has been writing papers for 20 years,
that makes him an academic ...great at synthesising arguments and explaining how we got here ..
but forward looking stuff is forecasting and politics ..that's way off his patch.
there are consequencies either way ...
staying in means we are in with a sclerotic bunch who just want things to remain the same ..whilst pushing their own agendas ..but it is certain greece, portugal, italy or spain will drag all the rest into a long period of stagantion.
only antarctica grew less .... you can smell it a mile off ...greece will get more money and every one will have white knuckles holding on tight
we should only remain if the eu abandoned the euro
hope that makes sense
:ohmy:
So academics only deal with studying the past?

I don't think so.

I agree that there are consequences in both directions and also agree that I'm not happy with a few of the things about the EU; the cost of Strasbourg and Brussels, the sense of entitlement of the staff (a bit like our own MPs), the general political climate being *a little* to the left of my preference, a little too much control of markets (e.g. the recent 3/O2 merger being ruled out etc. etc. etc. and there were clearly bad mistakes made such as the access of Greece to the Euro.

However I fundamentally feel that in the round the EU is a force for good and we'd be crazy to leave a market of this size without *any* plan for what we do next.
moto al

Post by moto al »

image_2016-06-22.jpeg
image_2016-06-22.jpeg (132.11 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
IT comes down to economics , Vote YES . (thumbs) Al
moto al
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Chunkychops

EU. In or out?

Post by Chunkychops »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

-Ralph- wrote:Image
We vote on a thursday

The remain vote is on the 30th, you're welcome (thumbs)

Rick
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

moto al wrote:
image_2016-06-22.jpeg
IT comes down to economics , Vote YES . (thumbs) Al
Good grief.
The Times, Scotland.
Says it all in the title. :laugh: :laugh:

Did they support Scottish independence? Don't think there might be some vested interest here then. :laugh: :laugh:
dave448

Post by dave448 »

So academics only deal with studying the past? yes.. if they speculate about the future (in this subject) they are just guessing like the rest of us ..we use past experience as a filter to make sense of the world and our beliefs (values compass) tells us what is right

academics
1.belonging or relating to a place of learning, esp a college, university, or academy
2. of purely theoretical or speculative interest ⇒ an academic argument
3. excessively concerned with intellectual matters and lacking experience of practical affairs
4. (esp of a schoolchild) having an aptitude for study
5. conforming to set rules and traditions; conventional ⇒ an academic painter
6. relating to studies such as languages, philosophy, and pure science, rather than applied, technical, or professional studiesnoun
7. a member of a college or university

..if you want to study probabilities ..try an actuary
..and the probability of failure in the eu is virtually 100%
failure can take many forms, and they are failing on many fronts already
imo
:ohmy:
Trevor Twobikes

Post by Trevor Twobikes »

Tomorrow when you enter the polling booth and I hope you will as a great many good men
and women put their lives on the line for you to vote. And you draw the curtain behind you. And you pick up the stubby pencil. I want you to pause. I want you to think. Because this is for keeps and future generations will not thank you for getting it wrong.

over and OUT

Trevor
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

If Nicola Sturgeon is going to use the death of Jo Cox politically in favour of a 'Remain' vote:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum

Then I'm going to post this:

https://theholisticworks.com/2016/06/19 ... d-brendan/
I've no idea how to add a signature.
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

[email protected] wrote:
Emf#53 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Emf#53 wrote:Thanks to the EU anyone wanting to take their motorcycle test since about 2010 has had to go to their 'local' and I use the term loosely as for some they're many miles from where they live, test centre. Gone are the days of many towns and cities having their own bike training schools where they could train and take their test.

And the reason for this ?? Because the EU brought in rules stating that certain parts of the test have to be carried out at 50kmh - and that's 31.07mph - the speed limit in most of our built up areas is 30mph. So because of the EU making a blanket rule at 50kph - 1.07mph over our speed limits - many training schools closed and everyone has to travel to the new super test centres where certain parts of the test are now carried out and not on the public highway.
Well... I'm not sure that's a reason for voting out. It's an inconvenience sure.
Yes you're probably right - I'm sure all those people who lost their jobs as a result of an unelected body making rules that don't suit us considered it 'an inconvenience' as you put it !! :dry:
Do you have any figures for the jobs lost? If they've simply moved, well that's bad for the individuals but not a massive impact on the overall picture now is it?
No, I don't have any actual figures of the number of jobs lost due to the changes - only anecdotal evidence from speaking to instructors at local test centres who lost their jobs and didn't move to the new test centres.

What I was demonstrating was one example of where the EU has introduced a law that affected our lives.

No - in the big scheme of things it didn't make a huge impact except the relatively small number of people it directly affected. But carry on down this road and in 40 or 50 years time when it eventually becomes the Federal States of Europe, we will have less and less say about how we're governed.

Now for some people that perfectly acceptable - but personally that's not how I want to see the future of this country going.

Return to “THE PUB”