Ride like a Copper...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Ride like a Copper...

Post by -Ralph- »

Was riding an XT600E when I was first taught to use those observation techniques. I call them observation techniques very deliberately because you could do them on a moped, you just wouldn't be able to actually execute the overtake.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
picos mestizo

Re: Ride like a Copper...

Post by picos mestizo »

-Ralph- wrote:Was riding an XT600E when I was first taught to use those observation techniques.

Dont think the bike affects the observation techniques but in the case of an XT600E allowance would need to be made for acceleration, yet another characteristic that needs to be taken into consideration. :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

picos mestizo wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:Was riding an XT600E when I was first taught to use those observation techniques.

Dont think the bike affects the observation techniques but in the case of an XT600E allowance would need to be made for acceleration, yet another characteristic that needs to be taken into consideration. :whistle:
Maintaining momentum on a lower powered bike can make up for some short fall in performance , hence why good observationa and anticipation can be used to your advantage on any vehicle..
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I have always classed myself as a below average rider, verging on reckless. But this thread has made me feel like a pro. (thumbs) Thanks guys.
special one

Post by special one »

CRAIGREVO wrote:I have always classed myself as a below average rider, verging on reckless. But this thread has made me feel like a pro. (thumbs) Thanks guys.
I wouldn't call you reckless, more dangerous :laugh:
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

police riders are usually on very powerful machines (its rare to see a copper on a 200 cc trail bike chasing a hyabusa)
They are very highly trained
and have very high natural riding capabilities before they even start (I guess)
They have a blue light
are connected to police HQ ( by loud crackling intimidating police voices)
and have the benefit of the doubt on their side in a court case.
they are clad in hi vis police trim
and everyone would assume that `making progress` was in response to an urgent matter (probably is)

now if I was to be seen doing their stuff ...would I be booked for dangerous driving/ speeding/ undue care/ causing that nice lorry driver to drop his mobile and cigarette /....
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the point about the `powerful machine` is relevant too.
My TTR600 is the same as the XT600, I guess.
my fireblade is now gone as my idea of getting up to `average` as a rider, was to get a really good machine, and fool people into thinking I could almost ride. the problem was that it was such an easy bike to ride fast that I was ending up doing really really silly things .. just getting through small gaps in time etc .. the capabilities of the bike took over my capabilities .. like an evil ominous presence that said ... ride me, ride me, thrash my arrsse, win win win ...

omg .. after a day's manic riding, I used to get in trembling and a nervous wreck, albeit with a permanent grin on my cold mush.

I always started the day saying to myself to be legal, be steady, ignore the speeding idiots in powerful cars cutting me up on a regular basis. just ignore them and do your own thing.

this used to last about ten minutes .. then the evil one would irresistibly kick in.

anyway .. its gone now .. and I am back to normal again .. riding the TTR.
I got no choice have I?
er .. well ... I wish someone had told my brain .. coz sometimes it forgets and, without thinking, I am trying to follow a high powered 4 cylinder bike that just overtook a row of cars ..
it don't work on a 600 single.

biker in front disappearing into the distance .. me full throttle and only doing 60 when I look at the speedo .. 4x4 with trailer coming the other way .. its very wide and cant stop so good with that trailer can it? .. cars being overtaken are tight together with no way in .. in the top of my power band with nowhere to go

oh well .. that's that then .. then at the last moment the 4x4 and trailer doing about 80 oncoming.. suddenly sees me and swerves violently and just enough for me to squeeze through. I wonder what he said out loud?

the moral of the story ..
my realization ..
I am not a police-trained rider on a high powered police-chosen bike
my riding skills are .. well .. cant think of the word
remember I am on a 600 single
keep it cool and easy
stay legal and safe
calm down and be a real oap.

disclaimer ... all the characters in this fictional story are .. em .. fiction
no innocent road users were hurt (except from dropped cigarettes in the lap)
I am a normal biker person (o shit that's done it)
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

garyboy wrote:police riders are usually on very powerful machines (its rare to see a copper on a 200 cc trail bike chasing a hyabusa)
They are very highly trained
and have very high natural riding capabilities before they even start (I guess)
They have a blue light
are connected to police HQ ( by loud crackling intimidating police voices)
and have the benefit of the doubt on their side in a court case.
they are clad in hi vis police trim
and everyone would assume that `making progress` was in response to an urgent matter (probably is)

now if I was to be seen doing their stuff ...would I be booked for dangerous driving/ speeding/ undue care/ causing that nice lorry driver to drop his mobile and cigarette /....

If you were riding with 'undue care' it would mean you were riding with more care than was needed....the offence is ' riding WITHOUT due care and attention....other grammar nazis may be along to pick other holes in your writing :P

FWIW the courts these days rarely give police officers the least bit of respect let alone the benefit of the doubt, and making progress does not necessarily involve exceeding the speed limit and certainly should not involve riding dangerously....
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I've always known it takes certain type to be a copper
BrynS

Post by BrynS »

garyboy wrote:I've always known it takes certain type to be a copper
Don't be so hard on Gedge, Gary ... that's why he's stuck a smiley on the end :P

Certain type to be a copper? what type is that then :S

When I did Bikesafe for about 15 years anyone that went for a ride with me seemed to appreciate the type I was

Return to “THE PUB”