Average Speed Cameras on A40 into London - ACTIVE 26 Oct!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
redbikejohn

Average Speed Cameras on A40 into London - ACTIVE 26 Oct!

Post by redbikejohn »

Regular users of this route should now be aware that the flashing static cameras have been taken down and replaced with permanent average cameras - all the way from the northolt airport on into London.
For me personally this has made it a LOT more dangerous. I can no longer accelerate out of a tight spot so end up getting boxed in a lot feeling very vulnerable. Or I go to overtake a slow car doing 45 and he wakes up and speeds up leaving me stuck on the outside lane with a mad skip lorry behind me who is oblivious to the average cameras. I can't speed up and can't slow down to slot back in behind the "slow car" as traffic had backed up behind it and they are all now doing the same speed as me. This morning I was in inside lane and approached an onramp, normally I'd move out into middle lane but two massive double deck lorries were there (no doubt with calibrated speedometers so could push the limit) so I had to slow down to allow cars onto the A40 feeling very vulnerable as trucks were throwing up lots of spay seemed too close for comfort. Normally I'd just hit the gas before the junction and move out or actually I'd not be in that situation as I'd be in the outside lane keeping clear of traffic and able to safety manage my road space. Already seen one bike knocked off in the first week. :(
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
picos mestizo

Re: New "Average Speed Cameras" on A40 into London

Post by picos mestizo »

I find SMART motorways the same.
Nearly all lanes running @ the same speed.
You can't seek your own space or ride defensively.
Glad I'm not a commuter :ohmy:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

It's shit granted. But if they're average speed cameras, doesn't the "Average" bit mean you've got a bit of leeway with your top speed? If it's a 50mph limit, couldn't you nip up to 60mph to avoid something nasty as long as you balance things up with a similar amount of 40mph when it's safe?
You also see cars blatantly ignoring the average speed, probably because the driver hasn't registered it in his/her name or the car's foreign registered.
I don't think this particularly nasty British innovation.....The average speed camera, has been taken up with the rest of Europe.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Yes I suppose but the gaps between cameras are relatively small. Also slowing down to 40 just compounds the problem as everyone else with be trying to get past you again......
Yamaha tenere 700

V_King

Post by V_King »

you need to change the thinking when riding on average speed roads. If you think you are in the blind spot, instead of accelerating, just slow down a bit, and keep your thum.b on the horn button in case the idiot is sleeping behind the wheel :pinch:

Also loud horn help a lot to wake them up very quickly, in case you see they are drifting into your lane (thumbs)
""
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...moody plates...might be worth it...?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Filmick

Post by Filmick »

... Does anyone have a definitive answer to whether these are active yet? I read on another forum that the cameras would be active from Mid September but the switch on would be preceded by notification on temporary roadside matrix display signs... maybe I was away and didn't notice them but I have seen no notices informing road users that these average speed cameras have been activated. Thanks
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

They were going up for quite a while and I ignored them but as soon as the signs went up (white background with black writing) and the led lights were working I decided myself that it was time to capitulate and obey the man :(
Yamaha tenere 700

redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Oh FFS! now I see some have sprouted on the north circular between hanger lane and IKEA.
Yamaha tenere 700

redbikejohn

Re: Average Speed Cameras on A40 into London - ACTIVE 26 Oct!

Post by redbikejohn »

signs are now up on the way into London. the cameras will be active from the 26th of October onwards. the cameras being installed on the A406 north circular are not complete yet though.....

Seen another big smash on monday, despite most cars/trucks going near enough legal speed
Yamaha tenere 700

Return to “THE PUB”