Are ABR Rallies a thing of the past ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mike54

Re: Are ABR Rallies a thing of the past ?

Post by Mike54 »

Re Mikes post. I do find it funny that numbers are low/people cry off because rain is forecast. Sheesh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Stevied

Post by Stevied »

Mike54 wrote:Re Mikes post. I do find it funny that numbers are low/people cry off because rain is forecast. Sheesh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I know. We're supposed to be ruffty tuffty adventure bikers. Man up for f!!ks sake!!!
ratass

Post by ratass »

Stevied wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Re Mikes post. I do find it funny that numbers are low/people cry off because rain is forecast. Sheesh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I know. We're supposed to be ruffty tuffty adventure bikers. Man up for f!!ks sake!!!
see you at the yuletide then :)
devon john

Post by devon john »

after organising these events ,,,,,, i aways expect a 30% fall in numbers ,

and theres a fair number don't bother to let you know ,

when your suppling food and drink ,,,, can be a little bit annoying .

but now i work on the princable that there will be a short fall .

and i now cook for a maximum number

john
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

Well.
27 booked in for the Ullapool rally, 42 had registered.
Not bad considering the weather and the distance people had ridden to get there.

Not every event can put on hot food and entertainment. There just ain't the fertilitys to do that. It costs a good chunk of money to do that and the only way to do it is to make people pay up front. And this adds to the cost of the event.
There's nothing stopping you bringing a few items yourself and contributing to the food fest.

Or, put an event on that you think one should be like. There's a lot of ( back room work ) involved that the event go'er dose not see.

I've put rally's and plain old camping weekends on, with the occasional euro camping weekend as well for most of my biking years, 40 this year. And you can never please everyone all of the time.

Cheers Dave.
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

devon john wrote:after organising these events ,,,,,, i aways expect a 30% fall in numbers ,

and theres a fair number don't bother to let you know ,

when your suppling food and drink ,,,, can be a little bit annoying .

but now i work on the princable that there will be a short fall .

and i now cook for a maximum number

john
It'll all go John, most of us have big appetites when the weather is cold and the food good. I hope I can make the Yuletide this year as long as it's not the 5/6 December as I working on a New Year's Eve show that weekend for the BBC.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

devon john wrote: quality not quantity ,,,,, we always have a great meet at the Yule tide , Ecky Thump and the Malvern ,
Damned right there John

Looking forward to this year's Ecky Thump and the War in Steam weekend next month

:cheer:

t'other John
boatman

Post by boatman »

coyotedave wrote:Well.
27 booked in for the Ullapool rally, 42 had registered.
Not bad considering the weather and the distance people had ridden to get there.

Not every event can put on hot food and entertainment. There just ain't the fertilitys to do that. It costs a good chunk of money to do that and the only way to do it is to make people pay up front. And this adds to the cost of the event.
There's nothing stopping you bringing a few items yourself and contributing to the food fest.

Or, put an event on that you think one should be like. There's a lot of ( back room work ) involved that the event go'er dose not see.

I've put rally's and plain old camping weekends on, with the occasional euro camping weekend as well for most of my biking years, 40 this year. And you can never please everyone all of the time.

Cheers Dave.
On that note ,,,,,,,, A Big thanks from me for the effort you and your nice lady put in for " THE ULAPOOL "
I enjoyed my trip and meeting Like minded folks ,weather could have been kinder , but hey YE get what ye get !!
All the best Sy
Africa John

Are ABR Rallies a thing of the past ?

Post by Africa John »

What folks need to realise is that food, drink and firewood has to be bought in advance ready for when you want it. Similarly other paying guests are turned away if you book a room. Which is why we asked for advance payment or deposits to make sure the stuff is ready and available. So when folks won't commit and pay it means there is less on offer (and to entice more attendees) as we won't risk our money if you don't turn up. I know peeps want to see what the weather forecast is but that doesn't help the organisers. Some rallies can lay everything on without prepayment usually cos they're linked with a club or some bugger richer than me or Danny is prepared to stand behind it and cough up.

Haggsbank and Takoda have a big room if the weather turns foul so talking borrox can continue uninterrupted :P

Like I said we did the first Countryman at short notice as a replacement for the Boil. Next year will be better planned with more notice as to what's on for people to expect

John & Danny
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Africa John wrote:What folks need to realise is that food, drink and firewood has to be bought in advance ready for when you want it. Similarly other paying guests are turned away if you book a room. Which is why we asked for advance payment or deposits to make sure the stuff is ready and available. So when folks won't commit and pay it means there is less on offer (and to entice more attendees) as we won't risk our money if you don't turn up. I know peeps want to see what the weather forecast is but that doesn't help the organisers. Some rallies can lay everything on without prepayment usually cos they're linked with a club or some bugger richer than me or Danny is prepared to stand behind it and cough up.

Haggsbank and Takoda have a big room if the weather turns foul so talking borrox can continue uninterrupted :P

Like I said we did the first Countryman at short notice as a replacement for the Boil. Next year will be better planned with more notice as to what's on for people to expect

John & Danny
John, I think though that your event was not pay at the point of sign up? It was pay if you turn up, is that not right? Assuming that's the case then it's hard to plan anything if you're not taking money at the outset for bookings.

Return to “THE PUB”