Dirty Roads

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Dazzer

Dirty Roads

Post by Dazzer »

Not sure if it's just me ,or it maybe that I'm just getting fed up with spending hours cleaning my bikes BUT

I seldom seem to get back home with a clean enough bike to just put it away in the garage till next time.

It could be because Im close to a rural area . Anyone else have this problem or are you happy to put your bike away dirty ?
Big Red

Re: Dirty Roads

Post by Big Red »

I live on a farm, and my bikes are never clean. I gave up years ago because I realised it was a futile effort to keep anything clean that uses roads
shed

Post by shed »

Know what you mean ,nip down the shop and its twenty minutes cleaning the bike, the roads down here in s, devon are in a terrible state anyway in real disrepair.
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Depends on what you mean by dirty and happy.

In the winter, I always wash the bike on my return if only to remove the road salt. I do this whether I arrive at six PM or midnight.

In the spring (as it is now) I'll give it a hose over on my return to remove the road dust, previously dissolved salt that's reconstituted itself, because that is what salt does; funny stuff. Again, this might be at six or midnight.

In the summer, I'm quite happy to put it away and give it a brush up as and when.

I don't ACF or all that malarkey, nor do I polish my panniers to a sheen that would shame a solar mirror..... There again, I don't do lots of things real bikers do, apparently ;)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Price of living in the sticks, by the time I get to Norwich my bike is usually filthy and then I see other bikes in the city and think how do they stay so clean :unsure:
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

We had salt on the roads few times last week , that i hate more than dirt :angry:
( end of april start of may )
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

what got me thinking was , we took this mint 2 year old bike which is like brand new with 3000 mile road miles only on it and I looked to try and find any dirt on it, and could not find any sign that it had been dirty ever . not even on the alloy sump guard .

How do some riders manage to keep their bikes so bloody clean :huh: (thumbs)

Big Red

Post by Big Red »

I think that to keep a bike that clean, there must be some dark secret science involved. Or the owner has a strange cleaning /polishing fetish.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Dazzer wrote:what got me thinking was , we took this mint 2 year old bike which is like brand new with 3000 mile road miles only on it and I looked to try and find any dirt on it, and could not find any sign that it had been dirty ever . not even on the alloy sump guard .

How do some riders manage to keep their bikes so bloody clean :huh: (thumbs)
Does the owner own a Harley as well :huh:

Many farmers seem to want to plant their crops on the roads by the amount of soil they put onto them :(
mjojom

Post by mjojom »

yup, when i got my 800gs with 5k on it i could not find a spec of dust anywhere. front or back of the engine, spokes, sprockets simply nothing. well, the story is quite different now :) i settle for "you clean what you can see and reach" and ... ah its not a bloody Michaelangelo its a bike ffs.. :evil:

Return to “THE PUB”