Buy a Jap, they ain't crap

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AndyB

Re: Buy a Jap, they ain't crap

Post by AndyB »

threepot wrote:
AndyB wrote:Triumphs are ok if you're very selective about where you buy them from.

I wouldn't buy a new one after my wife having problems with warranty claims and dealer service on two new ones from two different dealers but once someone else has put the problems to bed then they're ok.
If you had problems with a dealer,did you contact Triumph direct?
My wife contacted them and when she got no joy I piled in and eventually she was offered £100 off the next service with the dealer. No way was she going back there again and Triumph didn't want to know.

The bike went in for a service when it was a year old and she asked them to change a tyre valve because the tyre was only half worn but leaked a couple of psi over a week. When she went to collect it they'd damaged the bead but refitted it anyway then showed her a photo of the damage and asked her to sign a disclaimer saying if anything happened it was her responsibility. This was at about 5pm and they didn't offer to let her keep the loan bike while they got a tyre in.

They also noted on the service sheet that the rear brake fluid was on the low level but didn't top it up.

The same dealer fitted a lower shock when she bought the bike new but failed to shorten the side stand even though she'd paid for one. They then claimed the stand was shorter so I measured it and proved they hadn't.

They also failed to drop the front end to compensate for a lower back end so the headlights pointed at the sky and when they 'sorted' the problem at the first service they left the connector off the back of the headlight.

All of this was reported to Triumph and they just said she had to give the dealer a reasonable amount of time to resolve the issues :pinch:

Going back to the biggest problem which was the damaged tyre they denied causing the damage so we took the bike elsewhere, had the tyre changed and got a report stating that in their view the damage was caused by an incorrectly used bead breaker. I then told Triumph that if their dealer didn't do it then they did it in the factory so what had they got to say. They obviously denied it so I then sent the tyre to Bridgestone and asked for their opinion but suggested that if Triumph didn't do it at the factory and the dealer didn't do it then the tyre had delaminated so were they going to recall every tyre in the batch? They gave Triumph hell and my wife got £100 off a service.

They're crap. That's the only way to describe them. I'm not going to name the dealer on here because without taking them to court (something I wanted to do but my wife said it wasn't worth it) I can't prove it and could end up being nailed for slagging them off but I'll happily name and shame by PM.

Rant over. She's got another Yamaha from a good dealer that we've both used before and she's very happy with it.
threepot

Post by threepot »

Don't know your exact circumstances,but I would have contacted John Bloor direct! Made sure he knew you weren't happy! Different subject I know,but... I recently had a refund off Hotpoint for a washing machine I bought which packed up after 3 months! Hotpoint was expecting me to wait a month for a part to be shipped from Italy ! After a few phone calls to citizens advice etc,a refund was offered. We're like bloody sheep in this country guys! Oh,don't make a fuss etc!! Bollocks!

Andy,the term 'bollocks' wasn't meant personally OK,just generally ;)and you've edited your post since. But what I've said still applies. We've a history for puting up with poor service!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

If it had been my bike I'd have gone legal on them and made sure it went to court rather than settle on the steps outside but they'd have had my wife in tears within 30 seconds so it was doomed. I sent emails (and tried phoning) everyone I could think of at Triumph and it was only when I gave Bridgestone a nudge that anything solid started to happen because a single buyer isn't a major concern whereas a court case, magazine article or a major supplier getting involved is best avoided.

I was also banned from using physical violence or I'd have used that option right from the start :)

Return to “THE PUB”