Modern clobber... time saving it aint.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mad Hatter

Re: Modern clobber... time saving it aint.

Post by Mad Hatter »

I do most of my riding in Kevlar jeans and a textile jacket, in the winter I put on long johns. I tried a pair of Kevlar jeans in anger and they stood up a lot better than my richa textile jacket :sick:

About the only times I wear textile trousers is if I'm going laning or its properly freezing.

Footwear wise I'm now going everywhere in forma adventure boots, because I can walk In them, before id wear my bike boots when touring or laning otherwise it was combat boot, snow boots, walking boots or whatever boots were to hand, or should I say foot :laugh:

So I don't overly notice how long it takes as I'm already wearing jeans, when I worked in an office and had to disrobe all that crap everyday though it was a pita but I only ride for fun now as I've got a company van, or of course when I don't want work to know where I am thanks to the tracker :whistle:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Big Red wrote:I feel the same, I use the car more than ever now. With the typical round the doors journey taking 20 minutes I cant be bothere faffing around for 15 mins getting geared up for a 20 min journey.
I must be getting old......... oh I am old.
Me too

You feel more 'alive' on a bike in jeans and a jacket :P
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Elle

Post by Elle »

I agree entirely. Although, for me, boots and gloves are essential & I wouldn't go for a ride without some type of jacket - stones and wasps blooming hurt! :pinch:
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
bowber

Post by bowber »

About the only riding gear that's different for me is Kevlar jeans, still use walking boots and a textile jacket, ahh the jacket now has armour in the elbows and shoulders.
Wulfsport helmet has the visor in so no goggles and minimal tools on the bike when I used to carry a tool pack, trail riding mainly but came in handy occasionally on the road.

Don't get wrapped up in wearing all the gear, a good pair of walking boots protects your ankles and are as water proof as bike specific boots (not MX boots though)
Kevlar jeans are better than normal jeans and nearly as good as leathers but you can wear them all day and they dry fast.

Jackets are the same as they always were, same with helmets.

Steve
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

I think we get obsessed about having "the right gear" and not just in motorcycling. I used to ride a pushbike everywhere in what I had on when I got it out the shed, then one day I realised I hadn't ridden it for ages because I didn't have the right shorts or the right shoes!!

We get conned into thinking that to do something we need all the right gear, when when we were younger we just did it in the gear we had.

I'm hugely relieved to see the hipster-biker movement happening. Sure there's just as much consumerism, and just as many label queens worrying about how long their selvedge denim turn-ups should be, but there's also huge developments being made in clothing to wear that works both on, and off a bike.

I'd much rather spend the day in denim, leather, and waxed canvas, all with kevlar and D30 armour built in than a pair of goretex adventure pyjamas.
Happiness has 125cc ...
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

johnnyboxer wrote:
Big Red wrote:I feel the same, I use the car more than ever now. With the typical round the doors journey taking 20 minutes I cant be bothere faffing around for 15 mins getting geared up for a 20 min journey.
I must be getting old......... oh I am old.
Me too

You feel more 'alive' on a bike in jeans and a jacket :P
20 minutes journey? Me? I take a bus, underground, taxi, Boris bike or walk. There again, I do live in that utter shitehole, London; where everything is so hard to do.

Return to “THE PUB”