Anyone here live in Mid Wales?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Anyone here live in Mid Wales?

Post by SteveW »

Coming up in the next few months I will have the opportunity to sell some property and I am thinking of buying a holiday home in Mid Wales. Probably it will end up as my full time home in the future.
What attracts me to the area is the potential for off roading, the countryside and nature.
There seem to be a lot cottage properties on the market at very reasonable costs.
As an Englishman I have a Couple of questions.....Do the Welsh still hold a grudge about some English King (Of French Decent) killing a few of their ancestors and building a load of castles? After all, some lads on here live in France and love it, and the Brits have been kicking the shite out of the French for hundreds of years.
Any areas to avoid? Any areas to head for?
Thanks!
chrisinflight

Re: Anyone here live in Mid Wales?

Post by chrisinflight »

Hi Steve, this should get Page 4 no problem :laugh:
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

Thought you were moving to Bulgaria?
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

rwa.martin

Post by rwa.martin »

I'm a "Saes" (Saesneg = English) living in Wales. I moved to Pembrokeshire 10 years ago.
In short, no, they don't like the English, but it's not personal. Like anywhere in the world you make your own bed. If you make the effort you'll have some fantastic friends who'll do anything for you.
I'll write more later as I'm off out. Shakespeare!

Rich.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Hi Chris, this is the problem with being English, our ancestors have pissed a lot of people off!
No, I'd never end up living in Bulgaria, but it's a fantastic place for what a lot of us on this site love......pretty much unrestricted access to beautiful tracks and trails.
I know the default position with the Welsh/Irish/Scottish/English is "slight caution required" but after a beer and 5 minutes talking bullshit or bikes it's all forgotten.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Well I was raised near Shrewsbury, where if you shouted "Jones!" half the populace would jump up - and the other half,i.e. the Owenses, Davieses, Evanses, etc. would gawp wide mouthed wondering why you didn't want them :evil:

Mid-Wales is lovely and I reckon that if you drew a radius of 50 miles from Newtown, Montgomery you have some of the loveliest country in Britain, including Clunbury :whistle:

Moreover, with what is going on in the 'real' world, anyone who has a problem with an Englishman in thier midst isn't worth wasting a nanosecond's thought on.

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

......Simon, what do the Spanish generally think about the English?
Rob 110

Post by Rob 110 »

Watch the Sons of Glyndwr don't torch the place ;)

Mid Wales is a big area! Powys has 5th landmass of Wales alone.

I live just on the Powys/Herefordshire borders and work in 'Mid-Wales'. Most folks I work with are first language English (or incomers) and are generally tolerant, but you get some banter :) Don't take offence and treat it lightly.

Around Newtown/Presteigne/Hay/Builth/Llandod/Rhayader/Llanidloes circle of Radnorshire/Montgomeryshire most will be first language English speakers. As you near the coast and head north or south of here you will get more Welsh speakers. But it varies.

Mid-Wales has been forgotten about by WAG which winds up alot of residents/colleagues. Government investment is less evident here, big projects are north/south/west-coast centric (where majority of population is). Powys has more head of sheep than human population.

It's a lovely part of the world and why I'm here. Most tourists seem to shoot through heading for the Brecons, Snowdonia or Aber-whiff-whiff coastal caravans ;)

My wife's parents moved here 25yrs ago and were still seen as newcomers in their village and weren't fully integrated. Nothing nasty, just less inclusion with day to day social scene. They just moved back to Englandshire.

I keep my head down and do my own thing. Be an underground success and don't do the cliche of "moved here to get involved in village and community life by volunteering for the parish council and giving everyone the benefit of my wordly experience" ;)

let me know if you want ideas of good laning areas or other stuff....
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
B1ff0

Post by B1ff0 »

Hi Steve,
as said in previous reply, don't take it personally.
The whole universe hates the English!
Keep away from politics, religion and keep your hands OFF our sheep and you personally will be made welcome in the hillsides for sure.
B1ff
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Thanks chaps! Well my surname is Welsh.....Watkins. And my great grandparents were from Anglesey.
So, I've half a chance. Thanks Rob, it'll be a couple of months before I start looking.
Will my daughter qualify for free uni if we have a welsh Adress?

Return to “THE PUB”