poll - living in Britain

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Elle

poll - living in Britain

Post by Elle »

Each time I go away, no matter where I've been or for how long, returning to the UK seems a chore. Arriving at Manchester Airport 2 weeks ago, I particularly noticed how filthy this country is; the news at home was one big moan and there was a distinct lack of interest from my so-called friends. Returning to work was dire.

I'm interested, if you love living in the UK - why? If you hate it, why not move?

Click the poll & if you feel inclined, leave a comment :)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
johnnyboxer

Re: poll - living in Britain

Post by johnnyboxer »

It's ok here and depends on where you live and what you do

I love living where I do, cottage in a country village which is quiet and I have loads of space around me, plus a big garage and a nice private garden - so loads of room for toys and peace & quiet.

Great neighbours

Being on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales and Moors is great, first green lane within 1 mile of home and can get offroad all the way to Hawes, literally

I also enjoy the job I do and now I am working for myself - I work to live and if the sun's shining in the week - I'm off for a walk or out on the bikes

I love touring in Europe or Scotland, but after 2 weeks I'm glad to get home
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
JumboSi

poll - living in Britain

Post by JumboSi »

I wouldn't say I hate it but, having been travelling the world for 30 years as part of the job, it does seem to have a lot less to offer than do a lot of other countries. I'm in the process of weighing up and planning to move to France or Spain at the moment - hopefully, in 2 to 3 years the job will allow it and I'll be an ex-pat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What goes up........
yoda

Post by yoda »

The UK's ok, but like everywhere in the world it has its good and bad areas, We just seem a bit overcrowded.The filth and litter thing is my pet hate, everywhere you go, in verges and hedges, you can go for a walk somewhere you think is remote and you still find it even somewhere thats supposed to be a known beauty spot. I often wonder what many visitors to our country must think, ok there are many third world countries where people live in the most terrible conditions, we're not supposed to be one though.
We were in Aus for a while last april and noticed how little rubbish there was and how tidy most places we went seemed, looking back at our photo's its noticable to, it was one of the first things we both commented on when we left Manchester Airport on our return.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Wherever you go in the world people all say their politicians are either bent or self-interested. It seems to be a universal truth re. perceptions.

I think that no matter the country the only factor that counts is being affluent as if you are most seem good.

But I agree.

Litter, over-crowded, and with one congested road running from North to South where it takes all day to do what in other countries takes only a morning.......... arrrgghhh the M6......

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Paul

Post by Paul »

We would love to move somewhere warm all year round, living in Cumbria, which is very beautiful, the winters are just so long.
We have seriously considered buying a campsite somewhere else BUT three kids still at home,Thomas at college so nearly gone, John just doing his GCSE's and Dominic just started high school. :unsure:
We worry about how they would fair both long and short term in a foreign land at this crucial stage in their education.

On the bright side, every year gets us closer to them leaving home, then you wont see u for dust :lol:
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

I am OK with living here. I have not spent enough time abroad to make any real judgement call like emigrating or not enough to want a holiday home abroad.

Again like others have said have ties here and kids.

I am from a financial background and all is not as bad as the press would portray

Like everyone - would like a bit more sun (some sun would be fine!)
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

I'm in a different boat as I was sent here (Germany) as a young soldier, I demobbed after 6 years, In the UK jobs were thin on the ground, my parents had moved to the Lake District from Milton Keynes, neither appealed to me. I landed a job within two weeks of signing off still with the army. I handed one ID card in and took another.
Visits to the UK were for me an annual, bi-annual trip at the most, every trip I saw more and more of what I despised, rubbish, shoddy workmanship, bodged trailers dragging more rubbish up and down the road losing half on route. The biggest one though was the lack of respect, ranging from vandalism to road rage.

I detest Great Britain, for what it has become. I choose to live in exile in the hope that someday a government will change something and introduce laws to protect the country from the scumbags that feed off it.

"There is low life in high places"
[video][/video]
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Tonydurham

Post by Tonydurham »

Came home once from a holiday in Brittany on the Roscoff~Plymouth crossing.As we drove off the ship onto the quay and stopped,the door of the car ahead opened and a full ashtray was emptied out onto the ground.Seems to me that few people care and only a few hours earlier we had been in a litter free France.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Whenever I visit europe I notice how well organised everything is like public transport, how well behaved kids are and loads of other little things. I lived in Holland when I was a kid and I would move back there tomorrow. I was always trying to convvince my ex to give it a try but she wouldn't budge. Now we've split and we have a child I'm pretty powerless to move away as I wouldn't see my daughter. I also have a lovely new lady who is also settled and has a daughter.

What a really want is a job where I work away in randon places in the week. That way I get the best of both worlds.

The search continues.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “THE PUB”