Good road bad road

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mike101

Good road bad road

Post by Mike101 »

Well last Sunday saw the sun come out and all of our fair weather comrades also come out in force...which is good to see.

But what they found out was that while their bikes have been sleeping the roads have turned really bad with all this rain. Some of the roads round my way are now dangerous with large holes right on the bike lines through fast corners.

So it's great that msot of us ride bikes with long travel suspension that can handle such crap roads.

I do see some of the holes being repaired but in a matter of days they are back again.

It's only going to get worse i'm sure before it gets better.

What's it like where you are?

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
steve172

Re: Good road bad road

Post by steve172 »

Pretty bad all the time in general to be honest, but that Stirling Council...hee haw gets spent on roads.
les9509

Post by les9509 »

Spent a month in New Zealand recently. Population circa 4.5 million and roads are splendidly surfaced and maintained. Very few "iffy" bits. Granted their climate is a bit kinder on the old tarmac but nonetheless repair crews appear to be completely on top of the job. So, why is our "Road Fund License" not spent on the roads? Hmmm?
Will the recall and disbanding of our service people and the ensuing pay-offs (F off Tommy, the job's done) save us enough to get a road programme going, or will the dickheads who sit on their fat salaries find some other way to squander our hard-earned, overtaxed money? Discuss.
jameskaya

Post by jameskaya »

Like a tapestry quit with dropped stitches. Just paid my road tax for 2 & 4 wheels and the amount compared with standard of roads just don't add up. Even after this weather.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

If you think you have bad roads, come to Sheffield.

You will go away with a different opinion on your roads.
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Edinburgh is trully shocking!

Not only is the tarmac badly patched, but the old cobbled sections are even worse.
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
Andy5520

Post by Andy5520 »

I always know I'm back in Surrey as the roads (even before the flooding) are appalling.

I reported our road at the beginning of Feb, the Council came out and counted 72 potholes in the 500m length of the road. Not small, inconvenient potholes, these are up to 10" deep and 3 of them are over half the width of the road.

Are potholes taking over from the weather as a favourite topic of conversation?
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

The problem seems to be that a team of halfwits come and drop a bit of tar as in the hole, pat it down a bit then bugger off. The councils are understaffed and overworked so very little checking of the road fixers work is done so a few weeks or months later the hole needs another repair...so it gets done again. Morons by me tarmacced over a live fire hydrant, the nearest one to a furniture manufacturer in a 200 yr old mill !
We pay 2, 3 or 4 times for the same pothole. I reckon there will be plenty of MPs and councillors with shares in all the big utility and building firms, they'll be happy to spend OUR hard earned on the likes of this as their shares look healthy, their dividends do well etc. set of bastards the lot of em
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

jameskaya wrote:Like a tapestry quit with dropped stitches. Just paid my road tax for 2 & 4 wheels and the amount compared with standard of roads just don't add up. Even after this weather.
That's because it's not road tax :unsure: !

I agree though. When the Power Rangers finally wake up a dust off-the cobwebs, they'll be in for a shock. I'm glad of my 21" front these days!

Jon
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

One of the main reasons I got my DRZ was that he roads that I like to ride have got so bad they are similar to offroad tracks rather than the nice smooth tarmac that they are supposed to be constructed from. My previous bike and RD 250B was unrideable down the country roads due to the gravel, potholes and debris whereas the DRZ is just the tool for the job soaking up whatever is thrown at it. I cannot imagine what a true sports bike would be like to ride on the "white", c class or unclassified roads in the North Yorkshire Moors area, entertaining doesn't quite cover it !

Return to “THE PUB”