Question for the over 60's

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
badsanta

Question for the over 60's

Post by badsanta »

Since I reached 60 a few years ago,monster engined bikes(1000cc and up) which I loved, have suddenly become heavy and uneccessary, stupid even. Is it just me,or does anyone else of my, or any age, have similar thoughts. I can no longer see the point of any road bike larger than a 500 or 650. 250 Anyone? Motorcycle engine capacity and performance keeps increasing without any apparent or necessary reason. Has anyone done that terrible thing and downsized?
lancashirelad

Re: Question for the over 60's

Post by lancashirelad »

I went from the Tiger 1050 to the Tiger 800 which is big enough engine wise for me but going to a 600 wouldn't bother me lets face it most bikes 600+ are ample these days I had the Tiger fully loaded for Ullapool & it was easily up to it. The 1050 was the biggest cc bike I've ever had tho.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

I now have a bus pass and in recent years I've downsized from a BMW 1200GS Adventure, to a BMW F650GS twin (800cc), and then to a Yamaha Tenere XT660Z.

I do a lot of biking in Morocco and love using the network of pistes to explore the more remote areas. What's certain is that difficult tracks are easier on smaller lighter-weight bikes, but you need to balance this against the type of bike you want to get around on the tarmac 'liasons', and indeed to cross Spain to get to Morocco in the first place.

To get to some of the really interesting places in Morocco I decided to downsize once more, and moved to a KTM 690 Enduro. I still have my XT660Z Tenere which is an extremely good value dual-purpose machine, but the 690 Enduro is over 50kg lighter with higher-quality suspension. The weight distribution with the fuel tank under the seat is better for riding in sand. It's also much more powerful than the XT660Z, though this was not a consideration in my decision.

The 690 Enduro weighs 138.5kg without fuel. There are, of course, even lighter bikes, especially in KTM's Enduro range (92kg to 112kg), but most of these have extremely short service intervals whilst the 690 Enduro has a 10,000km (6,000 mile) service interval.

My main concerns were fuel range, weather protection, and cruising speed. My longest distance so far in a single day was Aberdeen to London which is about 550 miles and took about 12 hours with about two hours of stops. An Airhawk saddle was essential for this.

Weather protection is not good and for cold weather it ideally it needs an aftermarket fairing such as the Lynx. Fuel range is fine as fuel consumption is so low—you can check on fuel issues by clicking on the Fuelly bit of my signature.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

In my experience the type of bike you use is an evolution as you mature, in my 20,s all I wanted was a sports bike, now in my 50's whats important to me is safety, reliability and comfort. I would'nt want to travel down to the south of Spain on a big capacity sports bike now as it would poleaxe me . If I wanted to go off road/overland I would'nt want to use a 1200 tourer either, too heavy for me now, for me it's about aknowledging your own capabilities. I need to ride a bike I can pick up too !!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Well, I'm 64 next month.. :ohmy: and have no intention of changing my 1150GS, (which I've had for nearly 13 years) just cos I've reached a certain age.

I personally don't like small bikes, I don't do off road, but do travel far carrying my camping gear or wife and luggage, and I like the ride a big heavy bikes gives.

I have no bother picking it up, (I lay it down in my garage now and again to try it out :laugh: perhaps when the time comes when I can't lift it, I'll have a rethink..
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

I,m 52, and keep bikes from 90cc to 1300cc, the 90 is the most fun but wouldn't fancy heading off on a long one with our lass and her lugage and the camping gear without a bike that will go all day long at 80/90 with a lot of go to spare. Same thing, wouldn't go down a lane with the XJR, thats what the xl250 is for.
Its horses for courses as has been said many times on here before. When they invent a bike that will do everything I want without compromise then I,ll buy it.
But I,ve never had to pick the XJR off its side, so when that day comes I might think again. :blink:
boatman

Post by boatman »

1200 ADV for the 2 up stuff
Transalp 650 for the one up remote type camping trips
Dr350 For The " some thing for the weekend sir " type trail riding
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

badsanta wrote:Since I reached 60 a few years ago,monster engined bikes(1000cc and up) which I loved, have suddenly become heavy and uneccessary, stupid even. Is it just me,or does anyone else of my, or any age, have similar thoughts. I can no longer see the point of any road bike larger than a 500 or 650. 250 Anyone? Motorcycle engine capacity and performance keeps increasing without any apparent or necessary reason. Has anyone done that terrible thing and downsized?
Yep, used to have a Mile R and Ducati 900. Felt the need to keep my licence after getting nicked. I was only pottering along.

Interesting question though. I'm not sure that it is an age thing, much more a change of thinking. A larger capacity bike is great for chomping the miles at speed and a sports bike is great for a weekend blast. But they are too limited in where and how they can be used. Nobody needs a 1200cc bike to ride twenty miles a day to work or a sports bike for everyday riding. Riders that decide to down size do so for good reason, they have played with a great many bikes and have realised that they want a bike that works as a tool not a toy. A machine to perform as an all rounder, especially if used for general riding, touring and out for a play with your mates.

I try to keep bikes for specific reasons. For 85% of the time a BM F800GS is a fine bike. Probably the best all rounder that I have ever owned. On road and rock or shale trails it's fine. Not too heavy to chuck about without the luggage on board. Handles a bit like a heavy dirt bike and is very good on slippery surfaces. An excellent touring bike when loaded, not perfect but very good.

I keep a Triumph Legend as a summers day riding bike, it's a sort of cruiser without the cruiser image. Chilled out but still with plenty of poke. Not a light bike but easy to handle as the weight is low down and seat is low. (About an inch too low really).

A KTM 400 for the dirt, definitely one of the best long legged cross country bikes ever made. Bullet proof and easy to maintain. It's an 04 bike, still in great condition and I can't see me letting it go for a while yet.

A couple of old brit singles. Mainly because I like them and enjoy working with them.
Pure hobby and not easy to justify keeping but a joy to own.

I would never own or keep a bike for the kudos and image. I don't give a flying whatsit if someone does not like my choice. That's their problem not mine.

If I had to keep just one bike. Common sense says it's the BM. But I like the trumpet and I could still carry luggage. But the BM is a better all rounder. But the Trumpet is fun and on a sunny day.............
But then no dirt bike.
AAARGH.
OK you can keep one bike and a dirt bike.

Have you noticed how I left out the brit bikes. That's because I can claim that they are a good investment and they don't need MOT and road tax. Also free classic bike insurance on my e-bike policy. Canny Eh. :)
Opsman

Post by Opsman »

When I binned my tiger 955i, I downsized to a Honda NC700x. I am still covering the ground at the same rate, but using much less fuel, and enjoying the extra tank carrying space. I miss the Tiger engine power, and smoothness, and the comfy seat, also the mileage I could get from Metzler Tourance tyres. The Tiger did 87,ooo and the Honda's done 18,000. I have no wish downsize further.
badsanta

Post by badsanta »

Opsman wrote:When I binned my tiger 955i, I downsized to a Honda NC700x. I am still covering the ground at the same rate, but using much less fuel, and enjoying the extra tank carrying space. I miss the Tiger engine power, and smoothness, and the comfy seat, also the mileage I could get from Metzler Tourance tyres. The Tiger did 87,ooo and the Honda's done 18,000. I have no wish downsize further.
87,000 miles from a set of Metzelers? Shurely shome mishtake officer?........... Just joking,good to see some people beginning to think like I do.

Return to “THE PUB”