Motorcycle Adventurers or Motorcycle Tourists. Discuss.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
snaphappy

Re: Motorcycle Adventurers or Motorcycle Tourists. Discuss.

Post by snaphappy »

Me..................

Hedonist on a Honda

(thumbs)
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

IainD

Post by IainD »

The point of the post was to initiate a debate. It is too easy to cop out and reply that it is an individual thing etc.

A True adventure has to have some form of unknown, unforeseeable uncontrollable.

Yes, you can get this as a tourist, however with tourism there is no intention of that, where on an adventure that is part and parcel of the trip.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

IainD wrote:The point of the post was to initiate a debate. It is too easy to cop out and reply that it is an individual thing etc.

A True adventure has to have some form of unknown, unforeseeable uncontrollable.

Yes, you can get this as a tourist, however with tourism there is no intention of that, where on an adventure that is part and parcel of the trip.
Just lately though it has been done to death........just mention Ewan and Charlie and away we all go..... in every case it is open to personal interpretation and keep dragging up the ' its not really an adventure unless..............' is pretty tiresome...( IMO )
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

IainD wrote:The point of the post was to initiate a debate. It is too easy to cop out and reply that it is an individual thing etc.

I've done plenty of things that have an element of the unknown, unforeseeable and uncontrollable but never all three at the same time so I guess I've never been on an adventure :(
IainD

Post by IainD »

Sorry AndyB and Gedge, you're missing the point.

I have been a "tourist" for many years, always planned trips booked in advance etc. left nothing to chance. The only adventure element going where I had not been before, but still had looked on internet, had maps etc.

The same trip could become an adventure: throw some stuff in a bag, strap it to the bike and go.....no map, no forethought and no idea where you are going or how to get there till you decide on the hoof.

Road of Bones if meticulously planned would be tourism.

Road of Bones with nothing but a visa and a tooth brush would be Adventure.

As for an Adventure Bike, no such thing!
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

tour·ist noun ˈtu̇r-ist
: a person who travels to a place for pleasure.

I don't know people - it just seems to me that we are all tourists really based on the dictionary definition - no matter how well all dress it up to be something else.

We go on 'holidays' by motorcycle that stretch from days through to years.....time and money permitting......

So - now we have holidays for the motorcycle tourist............ (thumbs)

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'm off to Sweden in February with no accommodation booked but I've got a tent and a stove so I'm sure I'll survive even though I don't know exactly where I'm going. It'll probably only start to feel like an adventure when the dreaded moment arrives and I have to stumble off into the darkness with a toilet roll clasped tightly in my frozen fingers but I'll make sure I bank the fire up before I go and it'll act as a beacon to lead me back to safety (thumbs)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

People who are unfortunate enough not to travel by motorcycle, people who go on holiday by plane are not travellers, they are "arrivers". When I go on holiday by plane it's all about the final destination, the journey is crap.
As motorcyclists the journey is perhaps more important than the destination.
A motorcycle journey for me always qualifies as an adventure, tourists go on package holidays!
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

I set off as a 'Tourist', what happens along the way is the 'Adventure', but I'm not an 'Adventurer'.

An Adventurer is someone who sets out to go somewhere that no-one has been before or someone who travels on a route that is not man-made.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

IainD wrote:Sorry AndyB and Gedge, you're missing the point.

I have been a "tourist" for many years, always planned trips booked in advance etc. left nothing to chance. The only adventure element going where I had not been before, but still had looked on internet, had maps etc.

The same trip could become an adventure: throw some stuff in a bag, strap it to the bike and go.....no map, no forethought and no idea where you are going or how to get there till you decide on the hoof.

Road of Bones if meticulously planned would be tourism.

Road of Bones with nothing but a visa and a tooth brush would be Adventure.

As for an Adventure Bike, no such thing!
Not missing the point at all..in fact I think you are...an adventure is a different thing for different people and YOU cannot decide what is and what isnt..likewise you cannot decide what generic name is appended to certain types of bikes.,.. we all get it that you are a big string brave adventurer and that anyone that doesnt do it your way is just a feeble tourist...but thats just your opinion and like arseholes we all have one, and each is different..... please let it go its really starting to affect the feel of this lovely forum..split now by the hardcore V anybody else..............

Return to “THE PUB”