'elf & safety

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
James691

Re: 'elf & safety

Post by James691 »

Some of us are just born to take chances others dare not.
ABRRallyNorfolk104.JPG
ABRRallyNorfolk104.JPG (38.69 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Dancing in the moonlight
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I work as an outage manager on power stations and we have a running battle with the safety droids because if we worked to their rules we'd never get the job done. They go on a walk around at 7am every day and take photos of everything they consider a hazard then email a report to all managers at 10am then we have until 2pm to put them right. My favourite game is to quote the health and safety at work act to them and remind them that they are responsible by their acts or omissions for the safety of everyone on site so by taking a photo then leaving the potential hazard they're breaking the law. Needless to say I'm not popular with them :whistle:
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Just to add, that while the Olympic parks were being built, I had to take a Low Loader in with a big 360 digger on the back, as I got to the site, did all the clearance to get on to the site, all good there, rolled up, ramps down, chains off, just about to get the 360 off, when a site H/S bod turns up and informs me that I can't work on a raised platform ( about 18'' with the suspension down )without a safety harness on, so trying not to sound sarky, I pointed out that the distance between the harness securing point to the harness ( me ) was greater than the distance to the ground. :laugh:
So he than decides to change the risk assessment, and I have to wait for air bags to be deployed down both sides of the trailer.
Air bags in place and inflated, I go to get on the trailer, when he asks '' where's the access ladder ( for a low loader :laugh: ), he says that I need to secure a ladder to the side of the trailer, I then point out to him that the air bags are in the way :laugh: .
So I ask if it would be possible to walk up the big rear ramps, that lead from the ground to the trailer bed, '' well there really designed for vehicle use'' :huh:
4 hours to get one machine off :laugh:

So the next time, I just rolled up outside the compound, slewed the digger off the side, and rang the people saying that ''your machine is outside'' :laugh:
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Have you ever delivered to Cross Rail?

Mate of mine in a similar situation to yourself with a big machine on a low-loader was told he wasn't allowed 'on site' because his heavy haulage tractor unit was not cycle-safety compliant by some H&S idiot with a daygo jacket and a clip board.

So he had to reverse off out into the road and unload the machine there!

I wonder how cycle-safe a tracked excavator is?

Return to “THE PUB”