Which 4x4

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
chrisinflight

Re: Which 4x4

Post by chrisinflight »

beddowsm wrote:
Mike54 wrote:The Patrol with the 3 litre engine is rubbish though, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding ;)
Yep, would also be interested why?

Just above budget but not too far from me - Nissan patrol, decent mileage and year ok

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
Patrols have a big following in AUstralia. Ckeck out you tube for off-roading vids and you`ll be pleasantly surprised by their off-roading ability. (I`m a Toyota man though and shouldn`t be saying this) :ohmy:
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

NDC.

Post by NDC. »

Mike, take a look at this as this, must be the luckiest guy doing a river crossing in a 4x4. Now that's the one to get they float (thumbs)

[center][video][/video][/center]

You Tube Xtra Rough Road Channel

coasty

Post by coasty »

My brothers got an Isuzu Trooper for towing a horse box dont know much about them but its doing him well so far and its replaced an old Discovery which was in the garage more than not :laugh:
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Mike

Don't even think about a Defender, not for any of the reasons stated, you just wont fit behind the wheel :laugh:

And the newer (TDCI aka TD4 aka Puma) are even worse, I had to have the rear bulkhead removed in mine and I'm only 6'1"

As much as it pains me (My 90 is my ninth Land Rover) a Toymota is most probably the best choice, if you can't find a proper Land Bruiser that fits the bill don't discount the Land Cruiser Colorado (imported ones are called the Prado), a bit "softer" but not a bad motor.

A word of warning on pick ups, they are LOOOOONG, which can be tricky, I used to drive a Ford Ranger double cab at work and used it a lot off road, it was a bit of a handful with a wheelbase around 132" also when there's no load in the back they can lose traction a bit too easily for my liking.

But I'm still not changing mine for a rice burner ;)
P7102963_2013-11-04.JPG
P7102963_2013-11-04.JPG (82.09 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
pigpenn

Post by pigpenn »

mike for what its worth, the toyota surf 2.4 we get about one a month with either head gaskit gone or cracked head. mitsi L200 that have bin chipped very good at blowing the bottom end out of the engine at higher miles same for later nissan navaras,we see a lot of jap stuff stuck in two wheel drive due to lack of use and if you have any landrover product after 1997, you will need landrovers testbook or aftermarket equivalent or access to one or it will get expensive getting faults and warning lights removed,this is what we see regularly through our workshop. its not all doom and gloom the are some tidy 4x4 out there but you have to pay. and keep ontop of the maintenance
Orsoncarts

Post by Orsoncarts »

Mike, here's my take on this, as I mentioned on another thread I've owned and run Defenders for nearly thirty years. Ok I understand some people's dislike for these, you pays your money and takes your chances, but for me, they are great trucks and here's my reasons. Ease of maintenance, parts are cheap, I have a 300tdi 110 county station wagon, it's easy to work on and in the three years I've owned her, has been totally reliable. I will admit to spending some considerable amount of time and money on getting her how I want, but this is no different to farkling your bike, great fun.....with a CSW you have no rear bulkhead, you can seat 9 people but to be honest 5 is the best, and safest . It will carry everything either in, or on the roof rack....as for you not fitting in it....well I'm 6'6" and I fitted a simple mod, called Mud Runners to the seats, very comfortable....so much so I drove mine from Marakesh to Santander in a couple of days no problems... They also hold there money well, so if you buy a secondhand one your money's pretty safe... Good luck with your search...
image_2013-11-04.jpg
image_2013-11-04.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
image_2013-11-04.jpg
[attachment=-1]image_2013-11-04-2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
image_2013-11-04-2.jpg
image_2013-11-04-2.jpg (59.23 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
image_2013-11-04.jpg
I have absolutely no idea how to add a signature....!
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

+1 Orson...

I'm 6' and my Defender is one of the most comfortable trucks I've driven. I'm supposed to be selling mine, but took it out today for a run and the big grin came back. (thumbs)
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Great thread. Loads of advice, thanks.

So......will be looking for a Landcruiser, although I think these are well out of my price range (but you never know, may drop on a bargain). Also looking closely at the Hilux crew cab,, but again these may be a tad out of my price range. Defenders seem expensive as well.

If that Nissan PAtrol is still there at the weekend may go and see it if nothing else has turned up.

Not is any real rush, but really keen to get out with the family on the lanes. The kids really want a 4x4 and are asking each night now if Ive got one yet. I took the wifes Zafira down a lane not so long ago with the wife cursing me, and the kids asking to go faster and do it again. Think they have the bug. (and I dont recommend taking a Zafira laning!)
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Mike, talk to Paul, they are always aware of well priced vehicles locally and can check one out for you, LC or patrol etc.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Mike54 wrote:Mike, talk to Paul, they are always aware of well priced vehicles locally and can check one out for you, LC or patrol etc.
Will do, just fired off an email. Will follow up later with a call if no reply.

I take it that's your landcruiser in the restoration bit of the website?

Return to “THE PUB”