Today I are mainly listening to ...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Today I are mainly listening to ...

Post by daveuprite »

mark vb wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:33 am
daveuprite wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:17 am Nice. JJ and Baz sounding good there. I saw them in 2000 and again in Limoges, believe it or not, about 6 years ago.

I might try to see them on the final tour next year.
He also mentioned he was having a relatively good Covid period in the S of France
That's rather ironically sad, given that Dave Greenfield ultimately died of CV19.. JJ's parents were french weren't they? That's why the Stranglers often include some french venues in their tours. I used to try and copy his bass style. It's a cool sound, using a plectrum up at the bridge etc.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Yes, it is ironic, and his parents were indeed French. I believe his father ran a restaurant in Guildford, and beforehand cheffed on a France - S. America shipping line where he got a taste for Flamenco guitar, so much so that he put JJ through seven or eight yrs of classical guitar tuition, which clearly paid off! I remember Bike magazine did an article on JJ in the late 70's (he was and still is a huge Triumph fan), I must dig out the mag from my collection and re-read it sometime - I think it was his love of Bonnevilles which got me thinking I must get one, an ambition as yet not acheived 40 yrs on.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Well bloody YEEEHHAAAAAH...!

I just booked us two tickets to see The Stranglers in Nantes on Dec 7th !!

It's a 2 hour drive from us, but well worth it. Not many of my favourite bands come to rural France so I don't get to many gigs these days. Fantastic!
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Hey, that's really great, and tbh I'm a bit envious. There are gigs in UK early next year but none local(ish) to me so we'll have to travel a bit, maybe to Portsmouth or even up north. It's a shame those gigs in Bordeaux and Toulouse are not next summer.... riding down south with a bit of camping and a Stranglers gig thrown in is my idea of having a good time.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

mark vb wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:03 pm Hey, that's really great, and tbh I'm a bit envious. There are gigs in UK early next year but none local(ish) to me so we'll have to travel a bit, maybe to Portsmouth or even up north. It's a shame those gigs in Bordeaux and Toulouse are not next summer.... riding down south with a bit of camping and a Stranglers gig thrown in is my idea of having a good time.
What I like is that the Stranglers, although they retain a high level of loyal support, are no longer a stadium-filling band. They had their peak time, just as most big bands do, when they could fill large venues but these days it's realistically a 2000-5000-ish crowd. Which has the huge advantage of seeing a really good, loud, powerful band in a small-medium mosh-pit type venue. Which gives atmosphere and a feeling of being properly involved.

Maybe not such a good thing in the covid era, I admit, but much better than watching one of your favourite bands in the soul-less voids of Wembley arena or the O2.

When The Stranglers came to Limoges about 6 years back there were just a couple of thousand of us crammed in tight and the place rocked. It was brilliant. Hopefully Nantes will feel the same.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:45 pm
mark vb wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:03 pm Hey, that's really great, and tbh I'm a bit envious. There are gigs in UK early next year but none local(ish) to me so we'll have to travel a bit, maybe to Portsmouth or even up north. It's a shame those gigs in Bordeaux and Toulouse are not next summer.... riding down south with a bit of camping and a Stranglers gig thrown in is my idea of having a good time.
What I like is that the Stranglers, although they retain a high level of loyal support, are no longer a stadium-filling band. They had their peak time, just as most big bands do, when they could fill large venues but these days it's realistically a 2000-5000-ish crowd. Which has the huge advantage of seeing a really good, loud, powerful band in a small-medium mosh-pit type venue. Which gives atmosphere and a feeling of being properly involved.

Maybe not such a good thing in the covid era, I admit, but much better than watching one of your favourite bands in the soul-less voids of Wembley arena or the O2.

When The Stranglers came to Limoges about 6 years back there were just a couple of thousand of us crammed in tight and the place rocked. It was brilliant. Hopefully Nantes will feel the same.
Spot on👍
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

I knew Prince was good but didn’t realize just how talented he was till I watched this.

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Great gig last night. Stranglers as strong as ever, even with new keyboardist. Lots of power, brilliant drum/bass collaboration and Baz Warne fronting like a real star.

I've seen a lot of bands over the years but if I were to recommend a gig to someone who was new to live music I would say 'Stranglers' every time.

Sorry for the poor repro on my cheap phone. It sounded 100 times better last night.

mark vb

Post by mark vb »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:25 am Great gig last night. Stranglers as strong as ever, even with new keyboardist.
Great to hear, but perhaps not unexpected. It's Feb. the 15th for us at Southend-on-Sea! Really looking forward to seeing them again 🙂
IanB

Post by IanB »

Time knows no limits for days such as these.............

Return to “THE PUB”