Today I are mainly listening to ...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Billy Bananahead

Re: Today I are mainly listening to ...

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Here's a bit of Led Zeppelin trivia. You could go up there all the time but the new owners are bit stuffy now. I think they're taking the piss because there a public footpaths all around the house. Cader Idris i think.
bron yr aur.JPG
bron yr aur.JPG (186.33 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I've walked past the cottage myself - long time ago. Cader Idris is right up on my top ten list of places I've been. Stunning beauty, especially the moment you reach the Cwm and take in the natural amphitheatre. It's no wonder it inspired the Led Zep guys to write stuff up there.

Do you think LZ are 'not cool' now? I'll still put them on now and again. That moment when the band return after John Bonham's drum solo in Moby Dick is one of those great moments in rock music IMO.
Billy Bananahead

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:39 pm
Do you think LZ are 'not cool' now? I'll still put them on now and again. That moment when the band return after John Bonham's drum solo in Moby Dick is one of those great moments in rock music IMO.
No mate, cool as, but i only listen to them when they turn up on my laptop/phone playlists. I've got 5 and a half thousand tracks on each of them and play every track in alphabetical order because i find on shuffle it doesn't really shuffle and goes back to its favourites.
The Zep are up there with the Beatles, Stones, Who, et al....the list goes on.....
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I've been doing quite a bit of nostalgic listening to my all-time best band, Caravan, who formated in the Canterbury/Whitstable area in the late 70's. Having grown up in Canterbury, I returned to work there a while ago and found an office right next to the Blind Dog pub, after which one of the albums is named, in St Dunstans Street. Here's a taste of what's on this great album, this particular track gets going after a minute or so.

Billy Bananahead

They are an acquired taste aren't they? I saw them at the Return of the Canterbury Fayre about 20 years ago.
I bought a compilation double album of theirs when i was a kid, it was cheap because the album cover had been destroyed in the shop. My favourite of theirs is this one which was on the album.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:23 am They are an acquired taste aren't they? I saw them at the Return of the Canterbury Fayre about 20 years ago.
Yep, an acquired taste, I guess - but luckily Mrs vb loves them too. Strange, isn't it, when you love a band you can't understand those folks who don't like them; but each to their own, a bit like bike choice.
I've seen Caravan so many times, lastly in a deconsicrated church in my local town, Sandwich. Probably the most memorable was at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park right in their heyday.
I've got a feeling I may post a couple more selected songs of Caravan on this thread 🙂
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Acquired taste - so true. I'm a big fan of The Fall. Been to lots of gigs and listen to them full blast in the van. But to a lot of people it all sounds like an awful noise and Mark E Smith resembles a dying animal. I'm well aware of the marmitey-ness of The Fall, so I play it on my own normally!

Anyway that's my long-winded excuse for posting up one of their songs:

Please play it very loud indeed, and you can hate me for it later...
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I've always appreciated Allman Bros stuff for its accomplished musicalability, and chanced on this cover of Jessica (think Top Gear).... superb fiddle work on this one!

macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Gruppo Sportivo

"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Billy Bananahead

RIP Dusty Hill.

Return to “THE PUB”