Six dead bikers in 10 days

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
special one

Re: Six dead bikers in 10 days

Post by special one »

I read somewhere that more people die in domestic violence incidents than on motorcycles, don't hear the authorities stepping up patrols and making marriage licenses more difficult to obtain, let's keep things in perspective :)
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

special one wrote:I read somewhere that more people die in domestic violence incidents than on motorcycles, don't hear the authorities stepping up patrols and making marriage licenses more difficult to obtain, let's keep things in perspective :)
Can we make licenses that allow them to breed more difficult to obtain? :whistle:
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

Extra training for bikers surly isn't a bad thing, just not sure it should be made compulsory. Where would it stop? Training every year? Retests every 5 years? It'd probably turn into another government tax.

I'd like to see more training for car drivers at the point of tests to make them aware of us bikers. After all, the safest cars drivers (in my opinion) are us bikers. I'm sure most of us double, triple check when pulling out at junctions or changing lanes to make sure one of our fellow bikers aren't around.

Maybe all cars drivers should be made to take their bike test, that would give em something to think about ;)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

How about make it easier for youngsters to get a bike licence so more of them start off on bikes and gain that extra bit of awareness that people who've never ridden them lack? Maybe even let 15 year olds ride scooters that are limited to 30mph so they get the taste for it and if they've done that year they can have one that does 40mph once they're 16.

No, that'd be terrible because we'd suddenly see an increase in the number of 15 year old kids involved in accidents and they'd all be on bikes.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Yep get the youngsters on the road perhaps that will filter through, perhaps that could be away of making more people aware of any one on two wheels.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
bull

Post by bull »

well, i dont see riding a motorbike as dangerous at all, but thats just me.

i see cycling a bicycle on the roads these days as far more dangerous.

i would like to know how many cyclist get killed on the roads very year, i bet it is well over a hundred, and they dont have to wear a helmet by law, or have a lincense and insurance or tax, and no training of any kind,

plus their is no age limit, if you are 9 years old or 90 years old you can ride a bicycle and the road

so someone tell me again, why is it when a biker is killed on the road that the rest of us bikers have to get punished because of it, with people wanting new laws and more training and higher insurance and high viz vest etc

what do people think we bikers are these days, sissys or something
GOG 007

Post by GOG 007 »

bull wrote: i would like to know how many cyclist get killed on the roads very year,
Cycling deaths in 2012 hit a five-year high, as 122 cyclists were killed on Britain’s roads last year. Source the Times Jan 2013.

125 motorcyclists died in road accidents for every billion miles travelled - the highest rate for all road users but also a year-on-year fall of 11% - Source The Guardian

Not a lot in it :(
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I read somewhere that more people die in domestic violence incidents than on motorcycles, don't hear the authorities stepping up patrols and making marriage licenses more difficult to obtain, let's keep things in perspective

I dont believe that figure for one second..the total UK murder rate is only 700 ish per year...with probably less than half being domestic murders..meanwhile 3500 road deaths occur with 1/5th being bikes ..so thats roughly the same as the UK murder rate...........
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

GOG 007 wrote:
bull wrote: i would like to know how many cyclist get killed on the roads very year,
Cycling deaths in 2012 hit a five-year high, as 122 cyclists were killed on Britain’s roads last year. Source the Times Jan 2013.

125 motorcyclists died in road accidents for every billion miles travelled - the highest rate for all road users but also a year-on-year fall of 11% - Source The Guardian

Not a lot in it :(

You are comparing apples with oranges using those mixed figures...fact is that in total in the UK 5X as many motorcyclists die as cyclists ..
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

bull wrote:
so someone tell me again, why is it when a biker is killed on the road that the rest of us bikers have to get punished because of it, with people wanting new laws and more training and higher insurance and high viz vest etc

what do people think we bikers are these days, sissys or something
Because some bikes post on the internet that it's a good idea to wear hi-viz jackets and have additional training/tests and there's the risk that to those that make the rules that means that 'we' all want it to happen. Well I don't and the day it does is the day I jack in riding bikes here and just load mine on a trailer when it comes to holiday time and ride abroad.

I already do about 90% of my riding on the road out of the UK and if I have to throw the last 10% in the bin then that's the way it'll have to be. I've had a cracking day today even though I only rode about 2 miles from our hotel to a car park before doing a day of sightseeing before riding back again and my only gesture towards road safety was to wear trainers rather than flip flops on the bike because it made gear changes easier. Shorts & t-shirt were all I wanted to wear when riding because of the heat and if I'd thought I'd get away with no helmet then I'd have done it.

Return to “THE PUB”