Dakar 2021 Finished

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
bikenav

Dakar 2021 Finished

Post by bikenav »

Honda one two again, dont think KTM will be happy about that. Hard Lines Mr Sunderland. Congratulations to all the finishers and all participants who gave it their all, especially KEVIN BENAVIDES and ex biker STÉPHANE PETERHANSEL for winning, The Argentinians first, the Frenchmans 14th? Well done Neil Hawker, David Knight good result there I would say, and Laia Sanz for her 11th? on the bounce and last on a bike? Thanks Dakar Rally (such as it is) for bringing a bit of light to a shitty new year.
47-monster-energy-honda-team-k.jpg
47-monster-energy-honda-team-k.jpg (105.53 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
Hoggyf

Re: Dakar 2021 Finished

Post by Hoggyf »

Love watching it but as usual get extremely annoyed with Eurosport when you record it only to find its half an hour of feckin snooker :evil:
They don't seem to have mentioned Liai Sanz at all this year, wonder why?
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I did wonder about Laia Sanz as i was watching an interview on Red Bull tv and she said that she had been ill for the last three years of Dakar so that was why her finishes were a bit rubbish!!! athletes of that calibre are normally ultra positive. I wonder what's next for Ms Sanz?

Also what struck me is the speed in which the top riders go! i mean Knighter is no slouch and look how far back he was (still a brilliant performance though for a first go!) but the top boys are riding off the rev limiter all the time it seems and trying to navigate, no wonder so many do not finish..
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

What a fantastic effort by Knighter in his first ever Dakar 8-)
one-legged adventurer
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

It's been brilliant watched it most nights on French telly, another big surprise was how beautiful and diverse Saudi is
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

I also spent most of my time watching it thinking how cool would it be to tour there and watch the rally, epic scenery
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Agree on Saudi--fantastic scenery--well worth a tour--all the wind eroded sandstone shapes. Laia was on a Gasgas--but effectively a KTM rally bike (the latest Gasgas models in the KTM showrooms are Austrian made KTMs with different plastics/colour). I agree also on a great finish from Knighter--hopefully back next year with a proper sponsorship deal--however, the best rookie was 4th overall! I think--and Malle Moto guys and Laia finished higher up. Kris Meeke was fast when his car didn't break! I enjoyed the Eurosport coverage as it gave a good insight into the country as well as the race--and with all the categories its a lot to compress into a half hour slot. The cars suffered loads of punctures , but the bikes with Mousses seemed to survive--and despite the 6 tyre limit on rears?
simonw

Post by simonw »

Hoggyf wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:44 pm Love watching it but as usual get extremely annoyed with Eurosport when you record it only to find its half an hour of feckin snooker :evil:
They don't seem to have mentioned Liai Sanz at all this year, wonder why?
Yep, as usual Eurosport screwed it up again. Every year I've watched it they've let previous programmes run on. I found the trick this year was to record 2 episodes of each day - one at 10.30pm or whenever it was on, and the repeat in the early hours. Often this latter recording wasn't ballsed up by the snooker.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

catcitrus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:22 pm the best rookie was 4th overall!
Skyler Howes went ‘all in’ and delivered so I’m sure he’ll be lined up for a factory ride next year.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorc ... kar-rally/
Toe

Post by Toe »

I've been watching the official youtube and redbull tv coverage for the stock FIM footage that all the tv channels get and 27 Octane for raw footage for years now. Eurosport have been notoriously bad with the timings for years!

Stars for me are Kevin Benavides staying consistent for the overall, Sam Sunderland playing the long game and shame it didn't work out on the final stage, Dan Sanders having an awesome rookie year and putting many smiles on many faces, Skyler Howes with another fantastic privateer race, Santalino on the 'left field' choice, Svitko getting another top 10 well deserving of his legend status. Of course Laia Sanz the queen of the dakar keeping her 100% finish record!

The stories of troubles and perseverance help us all think, consider, and push that bit more next time.
Knighter and Podmol certainly know how to ride and handle a bike and have shown us once again how difficult and punishing the dakar is.
Picco showing us age is but a number... if you ignore his level of experience :lol:
My absolute hero this year is surely James Alexander! Starting early and finishing late, drinking tea with locals and skipping the camel meat, even oversleeping one morning, and all while doing it malle moto!
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “HEROES”