Stonehenge

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
Ksithumper

Re: Stonehenge

Post by Ksithumper »

Just put a fkn hedge up, that will stop all the gawping drivers, keep the traffic flowing and save a few billion that can be used for something useful.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Used to drive by there regularly when my mum lived in N. Dorset. Sometimes the famer who owned the land on the south side of the A303 would build a straw henge, using straw bales piled up to make a pretty faithful recreation, opposite the original. It was a great piece of work.

My first job out of Uni was a junior role at English Heritage's head office in Savile Row. That was about 1994 and the outline plans for an A303 tunnel were knocking about the office even then!
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

20201207_092823.jpg
20201207_092823.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
It's not original anyway its a rebuild, so why not just move it to somewhere like the Eden project for visitors to see close up.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... %2Derected.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

The scheme details are here https://highwaysengland.co.uk/media/2ho ... 019-vi.pdf
There are some proposed alterations to byways in the area with downgrading to restricted, I expect this will be done under side road orders. These will need to be objected to when they are proposed in the final draft.
Does anyone know if the TRF are reacting to this, I'm no longer a member and don't use facebook so have no way of knowing.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Snaf MKII wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:02 am The scheme details are here https://highwaysengland.co.uk/media/2ho ... 019-vi.pdf
There are some proposed alterations to byways in the area with downgrading to restricted, I expect this will be done under side road orders. These will need to be objected to when they are proposed in the final draft.
Does anyone know if the TRF are reacting to this, I'm no longer a member and don't use facebook so have no way of knowing.
You may find your answer here
https://trail.trf.org.uk/tag/stonehenge/
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The case referenced with the TRF crowdfunding appeal has been and gone.

The TRF objected on 3 separate grounds. The judge dismissed two, but agreed with the TRF that the closures had been introduced 'without consultation' and were therefore invalid. The council would need to consult with the Road Haulage Association and the Freight Transport Association (now Logistics UK), both organisations that I am in close contact with. I did offer my help in getting these two organisations 'on side' but got ignored.

So all Wilts Council has to do is undertake a 'consultation' (the results of which they can interpret and act on as they choose) and then they can close the byways for ever.

I'm not in the TRF any more, but I do look at the magazine Trail which the TRF is supposed to publish quarterly. The last issue to be seen on the TRF website is from last Summer. No mention of any of this that I can find since.

Still with 5000+ members, perhaps they can manage on their own?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:The case referenced with the TRF crowdfunding appeal has been and gone.

The TRF objected on 3 separate grounds. The judge dismissed two, but agreed with the TRF that the closures had been introduced 'without consultation' and were therefore invalid. The council would need to consult with the Road Haulage Association and the Freight Transport Association (now Logistics UK), both organisations that I am in close contact with. I did offer my help in getting these two organisations 'on side' but got ignored.

So all Wilts Council has to do is undertake a 'consultation' (the results of which they can interpret and act on as they choose) and then they can close the byways for ever.

I'm not in the TRF any more, but I do look at the magazine Trail which the TRF is supposed to publish quarterly. The last issue to be seen on the TRF website is from last Summer. No mention of any of this that I can find since.

Still with 5000+ members, perhaps they can manage on their own?
Until there is no where to ride .....
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

The Mario 'strategy was, IIRC, to get about 100,000 trail riders and demand more places to ride.

He used mobile phone ownership as an example of what could be achieved.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:20 pm The Mario 'strategy was, IIRC, to get about 100,000 trail riders and demand more places to ride.

He used mobile phone ownership as an example of what could be achieved.
By how much has his lordship managed to swell numbers during his reign?
Its a trick............get an Axe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Well TRF PM (preMario) was about 3000 members. In any one year 1000 would leave and another 1000 would join.

So, membership is up by 2/3, which is a fair achievement.

Whether that can be sustained post-Covid is another question. I am contemplating rejoining...but wouldn't take any active part in PR etc as I did before.

Return to “HEROES”