I know I’ll be shot down for this….

Info on biker meeting places such as Box Hill,Poole Quay, etc. Please start each post with the county followed by the place in the subject box i.e. Warwickshire - The Waterman. It'll make things a lot easier to follow.
Godspeed

I know I’ll be shot down for this….

Post by Godspeed »

I’ve been a part of ABR forum and meets for a fair few years now, and I must admit I’m a little bit sad. Now, before I start please bear with me, I wish no malice and also think that Alun and the team do an amazing job, and I want to thank them for their hard work over the past years!

Hear me out….

In the past we’ve had some amazing events, always focussed on the riders, bikes and equipment. But it does seem that we are moving into the realms of popularity and achievements.

With previous events, the riders who came along regaled each other with stories of various exploits and adventures; what mods could be made on our bikes and what kit we found useful. It was a bit like a giant friendship group.

I noticed at this ABR rally that there was a much bigger focus on biking ‘celebrities’. I know some of them would say that they didn’t want to be thought of that way, ( though some certainly do!) but when looking through the recent magazine there seemed to be a bigger focus on names than in the past. For example the videos taken on the days had multiple interviews with these celebrities, and I slightly wonder if the focus of ABR is moving towards popularity rather than the common folk 😉

Maybe it’s just my take on the matter. I do understand that creating a large event has to draw in more people and so names have a big part to play, but I kind of think maybe ABR is going down the popularity route and I personally miss the intimate gatherings of the past.

Sorry for my ramblings, I’m probably just venting over the loss of my youth and more simpler times 🤪
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
P4ulie

Re: I know I’ll be shot down for this….

Post by P4ulie »

Grass roots vs mainstream, I once saw Rage Against The Machine in a student union if were venting about lost youth :D . I couldn't go this year as bike was stolen, but I can imagine the costs putting it on. It's no longer a small marquee tent with a couple of porta loos in a random field, celebrities pull in the big exhibitors & guarantee greater media exposure. Always has & always will be
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Having attended several previous ABR rallies over the years--and the last but one at Ragley Hall I decided that it had become too "corporate" and wasn't for me anymore-so gave this year's a miss--and I'm not the only one I can assure you---I agree with the Moustache!. There are much better events around, like the upcoming Overland event--bikes only in the main camping area, limited numbers--great food, beer and facilities, lots of worthwhile presentations and so on--and basically much more of an old school friendly get together. I've booked again for this year--and the "winter warmer" version. There are also "fringe" rallies that appear on this forum and these are also much more suited to the traditional rally goer. I've also given up on the mag--lots of gloss and adverts, but limited content--sorry Alun as I know that you have always done a great job.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's got to the stage where you can't have a 'hobby', you have to have a youtube channel etc etc and be a legend in your own underpants.
There are some genuine Youtubers who provide interesting and informative content...Jenny Tinmouth for one, but others (including quite a lot of RE 650 owners) seem to be able to provide hours of tedium which people are prepared to watch.
"Here's how to clean the inside of your exhaust pipe."
"Here is 30 minutes of me trying to fit a rack without the right tools or looking at the instructions"
"Here's how to cover your brakepads in copper grease, and increase your chances of a premature death."

etc etc...
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I know what you mean. I had just put my tent up when a lady turned up nearby who had hurt her foot. I went over to say hello and to ask if she needed any help then just to shout. Within 2 minutes of talking she had got onto the subject of her extensive travels and how amazing she was. I felt for her, that she couldn’t have a conversation without bigging herself up and hopefully selling some more books.
Charlie’s talk started the same, it was all about how famous his dad was and what films he had produced. He actually said ‘I’m not sure why I was saying all that’ but you know that a lot of these people rely on income from books and events to pay for the lifestyle they’ve chosen, so they have to constantly plug their adventures.
Does anyone do a world trip and not YouTube/Instagram it anymore?
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Don't know about being shot down on this.... I'll put you on a pedestal for saying this! But, as with many things, the corporate/celebrity thing suits a lot of folk and that's fine if it's what rings your bell. I'll just steer clear.
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

Mate this is one reason why I stopped coming to the ABR rallies it was a yearly homage to come to a sheep shit filled Field and have fun trying out the slow ride waiting in the que for a shit burger having to go and get water from the local tesco there was something for everyone but as you say it has gone cooperate and all about money and brands

don't get me wrong I have been to the overland as well and paid the 30 quid for two People the first year now they are trying to charge 90 quid each
and its no better than the first year I know because I have paid the big entrance :oops: :oops:

This is why I now try and only do smaller rallies with guys that I can get to know or do know chew the fat and spin dits alike

ABR is at this point due to its success and its no fault of there own but the old days are gone I'm glad they have the success but I think in this they are less interested in coming to some of the ABR small rallies and reporting the Mag what a good job some do in raising money for Air ambulance

West wales run by Alun Fantastic rally in a fantastic location I spent a week down there it was that good
Yule tide run by Devon John Brilliant Good beer and cider and good Lads all want to get to Know you as you know I last saw you there a few years ago
ECKY thump rally Mario now organises this good site Put staff can be rude but worth going if you havnt been

this is just three rallies held each year and never any more than a couple of lines in the Mag as they dont pay for the space but they are held in the ABR name for members of the forum.

would it hurt them to report on this sort of activity not every reader uses the Forum more readers could see these events

so no you are hitting the nail on the head mate

sorry if I have offended but it is my opinion and it seems if there is adventure in front of the title it means charge the earth :!: :(
Every day is an adventure
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Basically I haven't got the time , patience and inclination to either view or make any kind of video. Personally the travelling is about me, the bike and my thoughts and memories and I can't be arsed to spend hours bigging anything up on you tube etc. Now having a natter around a campfire with a few mates is another matter altogether. Back to the Overland event you can choose which presentations you see -and to be honest some of them are so ill prepared for their trips its a wonder they survive. I'm no round the world traveller but I've done some long solo trips--and my memories are the precious thing.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

I think you hit the nail on the head chris , I remember meeting you when the ABR rally was at Banbury , I even brought my Rickman Metisse for a ride round the track , great crack and nothing to corporate, but I guess it's just a sign of the times what exactly is a celebrity anyway every man and his dog thinks they are one , I ride mostly on my own as that's how I prefer it unless in France or Spain when I enjoy riding with my two buddies , !!!
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

It is a shame but as i love a run up from here to the rallies but sadly i have to say the Ragley Hall meet was way to big for me , loved the old ones where you could all but meet everyone and talk shite round a fire.

Things grow and change its a way of things and wish all the best to the future ABR rallies

Image20170708_202551 by Philip Parkinson, on Flickr

Image20170709_122715 by Philip Parkinson, on Flickr

Return to “BIKER HANG-OUTS”