Mid Wales Campsite.....

Info on biker meeting places such as Box Hill,Poole Quay, etc. Please start each post with the county followed by the place in the subject box i.e. Warwickshire - The Waterman. It'll make things a lot easier to follow.
Mawsley

Re: Mid Wales Campsite.....

Post by Mawsley »

Rob 110 wrote:
Or this is a nice site near Mach, but 1mile to pub http://www.gwerniago.co.uk/

hth
:ohmy: I'd die of thirst by the time I got there!
Africa Twin
BlueUK

Post by BlueUK »

Rob 110 wrote:Wyeside is (was) great, especially with Bob's big menu at the Eagles Inn.

BUT: the previous lease holder retired 3yrs ago (?) and Powys CC (the owners) ran it themselves, then under austerity measures put it up for sale (along with alot of other property) and part of the package was maintaining the staff they had put in. So no private buyer would touch it to run it as a family business.

Last year the Camping & Caravaning Club bought it. Current staff happy as its continuation of employment for them.

A group of us CCM owners has been using it for 7yrs for a weeks meet every year (plus i'd been using it since 2005 and never had any complaints).

At the meet last July (under new C&CC ownership) the staff were at pains to make us unwelcome. Measuring distance between tents and insisting they were moved (C&CC rules). Also they didn't want vans that hadn't been converted to motorhomes (no windows or permanent beds were a no-no).
Finally they informed us C&CC were intending investing in the site and limiting the camping drastically, putting in hardstandings (so no tents) to discourage anyone not in a motorhome or without a caravan. They said revenue was greater from motorhomes/caravans.

Last Feb the planning application went in for 42 hardstandings on the camping field, a circular tarmac access road (like the other 65% of the site) and widening of the current access to accomodate larger motorhomes/caravans.

So enjoy it while you can :(

This year we are moving to Bala. Nice site and pub I tried a few weeks ago (also Eagles Inn).
http://yr-eagles.co.uk/
http://www.bwch-yn-uchaf.co.uk/

Or this is a nice site near Mach, but 1mile to pub http://www.gwerniago.co.uk/

hth
Was in the area at the weekend and avoided Wyeside for this reason.
We went across to Aberystwyth then up to Llangollen where we got a site at the bottom of Horseshoe pass at the front of Abbey Grange Hotel. The food/drink inside there was ok and the garden overlooks the site so it's ideal really.
Shower is ok as electric so guaranteed hot water. Only one shower though.
We paid 6 quid each for 3 of us in individual tents.

https://m.pitchup.com/campsites/Wales/N ... nge-hotel/
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Its interesting to read this thread. I love Wales and love camping but even in the thread one can detect some sites being anti tent and anti campers.

Its a great shame and reminded me how much over the years the UK seemed to discriminate/discourage camping. You really do have to look to make sure you go for a tent friendly/bike friendly site and the ones that are turn out to be great.

There is a rule about spaces between tents and it has been a double edge sword. Some sites were cramming tents in and it was to prevent that so from that point it makes sense. Unfortunately in a group meet up one often is happy or likes to pitch much closer and they don't consider that The rule wasn't designed to prevent that. The French system of a pitch of maybe 100m2 and if your 4 tents fit on it then go for it makes French camping more user friendly and vastly cheaper. We can get our 4 tents in one pitch and we pay €17.50 for 4 of us....then walk 300m to a restaurant where we get to eat and 2 of us get food and a bottle of wine for €20...for two.

Some things never change because in all my time in France I have never once encountered an anti tent, anti bike or anti camping feeling. You wouldn't even be having to ask for a bike friendly site. They take care of the atmosphere too, I have seen police being called in and clearing the likes of the noisy 4 x 4 folk and bundling their tents into their cars as they sat under armed guard.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

Been staying at Wyeside since the 90's when we camped there for the Rhayader round of the British enduro championship every year and stopped off many times on our travels as well, not been there for quite a few years until last September when a mate and I camped with the bikes on a little adventure trip.
The chap we booked in with mentioned it had changed hands, was very welcoming and was a local biker himself, had a nice meal in the local pub of which there are quite a few to choose from, they are a bit more stringent with spacing between units, whether it be caravans or tents there is a 6 m rule for fire safety.
There are some alterations going on but not sure of the details.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:46 am .. I love Wales and love camping but even in the thread one can detect some sites being anti tent and anti campers.

Its a great shame and reminded me how much over the years the UK seemed to discriminate/discourage camping. You really do have to look to make sure you go for a tent friendly/bike friendly site and the ones that are turn out to be great.
Some things never change because in all my time in France I have never once encountered an anti tent, anti bike or anti camping feeling. You wouldn't even be having to ask for a bike friendly site. ..

I was thinking that too ... France, to me, was always geared up towards `campings`, and of course, the French positive attitude to bikers is well known.

In north wales, one time, I called into an inn with the then campa .. great time had, including pub quiz.
.. following year I took my then Pan ... plenty of spaces, but was told `fully booked` ha ha.
.. so went a few yards down the road and got into a cheap friendly site that was welcoming to bikers, and allowed open fires n things and was near a chip shop :)
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Another vote for this place:
http://www.bwch-yn-uchaf.co.uk/

Its a long narrow campsite and facilities can be a fair walk from your pitch but stick a tent next to the river and get a fire pit lit and its hard to beat.

The Eagles Inn is a pub/cafe/shop and general village meeting place. Excellent food all day.
herman

Post by herman »

Stayed there a couple of weeks ago and all good :D
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I've stayed at https://www.bishops-meadow.co.uk/ campsite a couple of times now. Bar & restaurant on site.
It's just outside Brecon.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Pen Y Bont at Bala regularly has bikers. There were three pitched together last week. Its a 10 minute stroll into town for pubs/shops/cafes etc. Decent showers and loos and a little shop for milk/bangers and bread. You can order meat to be delivered from a local butcher for your BBQ.
Like it so much I have stuck my caravan there on a seasonal pitch. - so have a couple of other bikers!
Brilliant roads in every direction and 10 minutes from the foot of Bwlch Y Groes.
http://www.balalakecamping.co.uk/

Return to “BIKER HANG-OUTS”