ABR Ireland Weekend 2023 - Sign Up Thread

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
gazxt1200z

Re: ABR Ireland Weekend 2023 - Sign Up Thread

Post by gazxt1200z »

I don't see this as a "small hurdle" riding in a group with a sense of camaraderie is the whole point of the rally as far as i am concerned,i hate riding around on my own here so i don't want to go over there and ride around on my own,what a massive blow this is,this happened once when i had a triumph,i rode all the way to ullapool and even though there was a triumph glasgow group in attendance and a scotland south,3 triumph branches there there were no planned rideouts,i was fuming for about a month over that,just went in the pub all day then went home early,this rally is my WHOLE biking year,typical this has to happen two days after i have booked my non refundable ferry.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

I haven't got a job and the mrs has been saving up the £1000 needed for me to go since the week after last years rally,so unless somebody comes up with a solution real quick i am not spending a grand just to ride around on my own [who would].
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I can't believe you guys are serious about this group/leader thing.
If you are that worried, contact your local constabulary and council. You will probably be surprised how helpful they can be.

I have seen pics of large groups of riders being aided by police riders .. give your route and times and numbers.
wear hi viz, plus..with special colours or signage for the lead and sweeper.
Divide a large group to say 5 or 7 with their own leader and sweep.
go as fast as the slowest rider, and stop if someone is suddenly not behind you.Signal well ahead and let it repeat down the line.
wait for slow riders (i ain't been in many group rides, but they always never do wait, leading to loss problems.
Have each rider to have a scheme for their own breakdown, aa rac etc or just mates.
Have a buddy system where a small group, within the larger group, is always together.

White Dalton in 2017 wrote that the leader of a group has no more duty of care to other riders than a solo rider riding properly.
I dont know what the latest is, but i can' find anything on google to say that it is illegal to ride in groups or that the leader is legally responsible for a bad or speeding rider ..... though in the past the leader has been fined for one member speeding. Answer ...NO Overtaking, keep to the speed limits etc.

Personally i think single file riding id better than staggered riding... and the drop off system is too complicated.
Use common sense (lol) and let everyone know the route, or at least give the info to buddy groups. (I have never been in a group that has done this ... this is what leads to so much confusion on rideouts.

Remember to give priority to the most vulnerable groups... walkers, cyclists etc ... and try to give 5 foot space when overtaking.

Check with your local police, what the rules are. They have loads of experience and may be indispensable, or ready access to emergency services.

edit ... just thought ..
Personally, I can't see what's wrong with a few groups of half a dozen riders .. a few different route, or different times on the same route, or reverse routes. .. .. drawing less attention ......meeting up at possibly one setting.
Last edited by garyboy on Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

I think it's all b-llocks,twice a year the Ace cafe do runs to brighton and margate and 5000 BIKES go down en masse with the coppers at the end of the slip road waving everybody over the red light,i also can't find anything to say it's illegal,even if it were true find out what constitutes a group say 5 bikes or more,then 4 bikes set off on the route every 10 mins and meet up halfway round,so lets please be the same as other years.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

St Patrick's day rideout tomorrow,all bikes welcome[ i rest my case].
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

As a club we had this issue raised over 10 years ago especially when we were heading to Europe in a group, we adopted the logical approach of each rider/pillion booking their own ferry and their own accommodation (usually to coincide with the group of mates). Regarding routes we went off with the intention to meet at certain points but not formalised by appointing a leader ;) 8-)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Gary & Gaz - the main concern that was pointed out to me was in the event of an accident or worse the riders insurance company could possibily pursue the organisers/ ride out leaders insurance for settlement.

It's in my head now & I'm not prepared at this stage in my life to continue to lead Rally ride outs with that thought lurking - nor would I expect anyone else to. Unfortunately in these times of blame society that's the way it is & its time to adjust accordingly.

As mentioned we will endeavour to provide those that attend all the information they need to sort out their own ride on the Saturday if they so wish.

Hopefully that's the end of this discussion & I can concentrate on putting together the information & get it posted up soon. Toni - thank you for your input.
Heff

Post by Heff »

I have amended the information contained within Post#1 to reflect this ;)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

I can’t see a problem, it’s a beautiful part of the world and we all have a Statalite (Delboy reference) navigation device so just crack solo and explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
Heff

Post by Heff »

vic21 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:19 pm 2 more coming over, camping booked but no food needed. Looking forward to it.
Vic, names added to list in Post#1.

Thankyou for your support ;)

See you then
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”