It's Tamar Trial time again: 16 October.

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Richard Simpson Mark II

It's Tamar Trial time again: 16 October.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Come and join us on the Devon-Cornwall border for a fun day out...mix of country lanes, green lanes and not-too-challenging trials sections.

https://www.lncmc.co.uk/news/

Don't worry, you won't come last...that's my job!

Entries close on October 7, so hurry!

Event itself is October 16.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: It's Tamar Trial time again: 16 October.

Still some spaces...get your entry in today!
Schoe000

Post by Schoe000 »

Morning Mark, I had a look to see if I could find a route for spectators to watch. Is the route available, want to watch one of the special sections. Thanks.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Not had the final route myself yet, but spectator favourites include "Angel Steps' which is a steep lane that finishes near the Church in Marystow, (nearest big village Chillaton, off the A30 at Liftondown and then through Lifton) which is a morning section, and Crackington Lane close to the north Cornwall coast west of Bude (park in the village of the same name), in the afternoon. Access that one off the Atlantic Highway at Wainhouse Corner.

Start is at Maunders Farm Supplies, Launceston, lunch is at the Village Hall, Tresmere, and the finish at the Frog and Bucket in South Petherwin.

I'll post more details when I get them.
Richard Simpson Mark II

First bike arrives Angel Steps at 10.25 am, Crackington 12.50 pm.

There are 47 motorcycles followed by 40 cars at 2-minute intervals.

Please, please, please be careful where and how you park. Don't block roads, gates, trackways, drives, or churn up grass banks. We can only do this event because we don't upset the locals. So don't upset the locals. End of lecture.

I have the doubtful pleasure of leading Team Incompetence on bike number 7 (Richard 'Shaggy' Simpson, Beta X-Trainer), followed by Ben 'Skyhook' Watton, Honda XL185, bike number 8 and Merv 'Swerve' Brown, Honda XR 400, bike number 9.

If past form is anything to go by, we'll probably be well down the field by Angel Steps...Merv and I got lost on the way to the last trial we did, and Merv's shortcut saw us get stuck before we'd even arrived at the start. Then it all went downhill from there!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Best to park at the BOTTOM of Angel Steps, and the TOP of Crackington.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

For info maybe for next year do you have any info on what class X definition means -

X) Motorcycles any cc with tyres that DO NOT comply to the required standard (This class will not
be eligible for any award)

What's the required standard - do you have a link to a document?

Ta
Harvey
Richard Simpson Mark II

the required standard is trials tyre: ie Pirelli MT43. Class X is any other tyre, so long as it's road-legal (there's about 70 miles of road-running).

This year's entry list contains 4 in Class X: all have joined the club on a day's membership and are mounted on KTM or Beta enduro bikes, so I presume they are using road-legal enduro tyres. That's out of 46 motorcycle entries.

Sadly we have only one sidecar this year (an Aprilia Wasp, and you won't see one of those very often), and just one in the C class for big modern bikes (he's on a Beta 525)

But there are two magnificent 650cc Rickman Triumph Metisse twins running in the British class...and if they can get round (and they do every year) then so could a modern 'adventure' bike.

The course is nothing like what you see at a modern motorcycle trial. We are sharing most of the sections with cars, and they are mostly just steep stony tracks. The challenge is to keep going without 'footing'. A foot down is a fail, but each section is a bit like a 'ladder' with 12 rungs. Foot at rung 1, and it's 12 penalty points, keep going to rung 12 then foot, and it's one. Get the front wheel spindle past the end, and you've cleaned it!

There are also restarts on some of the sections, and timed acceleration/braking tests. The results from the timed tests are used as tie-breakers. There's one where you have to be as close as possible to a 'target time' and another where quickest is best.

The event is only as competitive as you want to be. I just ride around for a laugh with some mates in some lovely scenery. Getting lost and/or falling off is all part of the hilarity! I don't even bother to work out my score while I'm riding, but each set of 'ends' cards reached is a little victory.
Richard Simpson Mark II

HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:18 pm the required standard is trials tyre: ie Pirelli MT43. Class X is any other tyre, so long as it's road-legal (there's about 70 miles of road-running).
Thanks Richard I thought it might be something like that, I've done the Lands End a couple of times, finished it once :D

Looks like one to bear in mind for next years calendar. Good luck this weekend

Harvey

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”