Try a trial!

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Try a trial!

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Launceston and North Cornwall Motor Club Trial.

Single venue, private land on the Devon-Cornwall border.

Most of the sections are laid out for cars, so no Pol Tares antics required and quite do-able on a Freeride or even an EXC or similar enduro. There's a 'big bike' class too, plus sidecars. Scoring is 12 - 1 as you go up the section, foot down = stop/fail...the further up each section you get before you put your foot down, the lower the score...lowest total score wins! You must have a trials tyre on the back. It's great fun, not serious.

https://www.lncmc.co.uk/
bikenav

Re: Try a trial!

Post by bikenav »

hello thanks for the post, something I might like a pop at a couple of queries
  • I did not see a big bike class but an over 450 could you clarify
  • would trials tyres be necessary for the "big bike" class?
perhaps anything over 450 is big in the trials world, even though possibly small in the ADV world
trials tyres would count me out and probably impractical for most on big bikes, but I do understand the reasons for the reg.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I read a bit more I see the 15mph speed limit I should be able to stay above that OK on a 1200.
but unsure I can get past the "tatty bikes" reg.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Big bike anything over 450, average trials bike CC is probably less than 250cc
Trials rear tyre mandatory in all classes, I think it's only MCC events that allow non trials tyres in certain classes.

I doubt that this would be much fun on anything more than a enduro/trial/trail bike but am ready to be corrected :-)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Over 450 is 'big bike'....the winner of the class last year was on a 660 Yamaha, I think. Trials tyres are compulsory on the rear...it's to avoid early riders digging trenches on the sections.

A really good, confident rider could probably have fun on a big GS, but to me they have always seemed the worst possible starting point to make a trail bike from (I once went out on a run with a bloke with a G/S80...the cylinders ground out on anything other than a shallow rut. We carried the thing like a sedan chair through one particularly bad bit using a couple of fence posts pushed through the wheels!)
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

It kinda says something that I would consider jumping on the GS and doing a road run from Wales down to SW to do a simpler trial then riding home again if it had been last year I may have been going to work on it the next morning too. They can be challenging on the trail obviously and I have to be carefull and intelligent where I go I am usually solo so no fence posts but surely thats part of why we ride trails would we not just ride tar otherwise? For me a little guy with short legs and wonky ankle the low C of G the advantages are big. One day more of my local trails will be wide enough for the GS Brecon mud pic taken today. thanks for the info.
IMG_20220216_144745.jpg
IMG_20220216_144745.jpg (153.5 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

You're more than welcome to give it a go
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Ta keep it mind
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I see that North Devon has a trial that allows Bikes without a trials tyre but no enduro Tyres.
https://www.ndmc.org.uk/
Much the same type of trial but with added scenery to ride through.

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”