Salisbury Plain Saturday 8th August 2020

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
MarkieMark

Salisbury Plain Saturday 8th August 2020

Post by MarkieMark »

Hi everyone,
Anyone fancy a little bimble around Salisbury Plain?
Big Adventure bikes welcome.
I’m on a R1250GSA so nothing too adventurous.
Would welcome more knowledgeable riders of the area as I’ve only been the once.
Meet at The Shell garage on the Amesbury bypass (A303) at 10:00.
See you there hopefully.
petecam

Re: Salisbury Plain Saturday 8th August 2020

Post by petecam »

Hi

Unfortunately I cant make that date but I come down on my GS sometimes......... ping me next time you are thinking of going....

There are some locals on here but otherwise I can send some GPX files of big bike routes

Pete
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I'd wait till the August plain news letter for August goes live as it's most closed this month as a huge deployment and day and night live firing... Typical for August also lots of fire risks duento hot dry wwather since April...
LostBoy

Post by LostBoy »

sounds like a plan. I plan to be there but probably on my Himalayan.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

If no one else volunteers as a leader I'll do it on my xt660z.... Meet point as you suggested is okay... K60 etc would be minimum tyre type... And well do a loop of some other lanes to make it more scenic etc with a few local scenic back roads... All fine on a big bike.... Max 6 Inc me.....

I will post a gpx file up this weekend so people know where we are supposed to be going... Again it all depends on plain operations but I know ebough trails to bypass some of plain if its shut... Lunch stop somewhere too..
MarkieMark

Post by MarkieMark »

Thanks Tramp that sounds like a plan.
A lunch stop sounds great too.
Fingers crossed for good weather and not too difficult terrains.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I might be up for this.
Need to check
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Okay...

ive done the attached gpx track which is big bike friendly mostly wide gravel with a interesting long trail by the Parachute airfield in a rutt its fine but need concentration... :lol: ...the route takes in the tanks unless they have moved them and the long conenctiing perimeter roads and the woops and Germen village also ive encluded some nice country roads to Fovant and the shaftesbury drove graded section above the Badges ..

Ive started the track days ride from the excellent cafe in layby just south of Burbage..choppers cafe SN8 3RT...as the meet point for say departure 10.30am gives guys time for a hearty breakfast that means no lunch stop , but i stop lots so folks can always grap a sugar snack ...then the track ends at Salisbury race coarse...the track is 65mls long plenty for a days ride finish say 4pm we can do lots of trails off the main one as folks see fit...

its a leisurely days ride which if dry can get very dusty so bring a water pack and wet wipes and space out ...bring your own puncture stuff

covid19 shit ....take whatever precautions you see fit and respect others requests...

if the army ranges are closed as they still havent updated the web site we can still have a good time and ill update the gpx track accordingly..

lastly ride safely and have a laugh...

Track 003.gpx
(20.36 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

If im not on holiday im going to try and make this! I'll bring Smudger and the cigars Russ lol...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Hoping to make this, aim to be camping Friday/Sat. Difficult to make solid plans at the moment. thank you Markie for opening the gate and Tramp for going through first.

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”