Arctic Coast Highway run July 2015 for target ovarian cancer charity

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Ricky

Re: Arctic Coast Highway run July 2015 for target ovarian cancer charity

Post by Ricky »

Great, see you at Malvern

Plans at the moment are still for the beginning of July, leaving on the 4th for 2 weeks but Hugh is looking in to the possibility of the ferry which if we go for it would cut out the millage through some of Europe and could gain us a day or more in Norway, so dates may change round the ferry time table if we go with that option.
Capt. Sensible

Post by Capt. Sensible »

'Evening chaps,

I eventually got a reply from DFDS about thier North Sea route between Immingham and Brevik. It's not looking good: they don't take bookings for non-freight vehicles and passengers until 6 weeks before sailing date and won't give me any prices yet as it is too far in advance, or so they say. I'm looking into the costs and timings for ferries to Esbjerg, Oslo etc and will report back when that's complete.

I hope to be at Malvern, too, but can't confirm that for a week or so.

CS
Capt. Sensible

Post by Capt. Sensible »

'Afternoon chaps,

I've been looking at ferry options. The assumptions I have made are that (1)we want to reduce the ‘boring’ riding to a minimum, and (2) Cheapest options used for ferries: fixed crossings; seat rather than cabins where available.

Day 1
To get across the Channel and make good progress it would be best to use the ferry to Esbjerg (west coast of Denmark) from Harwich, Regina Line. Sailing 1800 on Tues/Thu/Sat, arrive 1300 day 2. £90 single inc bike and cheapest cabin.

Day 2
Arrive Esbjerg 1300.
Multiple options from here, including ferries from Hirtshals (north tip of Denmark; 340km from Esbjerg) and Copenhagen.(300km)

Option 1 – ride 300km to Copenhagen, stay overnight, take DFDS ferry on Day 3 at 1630 to Oslo. £254 return per person inc cabin and bike. Arrive Oslo 0945 on Day 4

Option 2a – ride 340km to Hirtshals, catch Color-line ferry to Kristiansand (south coast of Norway, c 300km SW of Oslo), arrive 2359 end day 2. Euros return 110 pp, seat only

Option 2b
- ride 340km to Hirtshals, stay overnight, catch Fjordline ferry Day 3 at 0900 to Larvik (c 140 km SW of Oslo), arrive 1330 on day 3. Euros 70 return, seat only.

Option 2c - ride 340km to Hirtshals, catch 2000 Fjordline ferry to Bergan (west coast of Norway c 400km west of Oslo), arrive 1300 on day 3, Euros 130pp return, seat only.

To put this in context, Oslo is 1,600km from Calais. Si's original plan was to get to Oslo at the end of day 3 and c 1150 miles riding. Obviously, there are a huge range of factors to take into account, so I have simplified things as far as I can.

Personally, I prefer 2b on the way out and 2c as a return route. However, what we need now is feedback from those who are still interested in this trip. We will shortly have to commit and buy ferry tickets. It seems the more popular ferry routes get booked quite early for peak summer travelling.

CS
angusyoung

Post by angusyoung »

Hi so if we do 2a and 2c is this the same company and we pay just 1 company?
Thanks for all your hard work and efforts
Angus
Capt. Sensible

Post by Capt. Sensible »

angusyoung wrote:Hi so if we do 2a and 2c is this the same company and we pay just 1 company?
Thanks for all your hard work and efforts
Angus
'Afraid not, 2a is Colorline, 2c is Fjordline.

CS
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Ok so the prices are for return journeys other than the Harwich crossing?

More than happy to go from Harwich, easy first couple of days and cover what would be the boring slog through Europe so that's a no brainer (thumbs)

Option 1 ok for me this one is too expensive and doesn't gain us anything over the others

Option 2a would mean booking accommodation as it is a late arrival at midnight, not an issue but just something we need to remember but we are a full day ahead of schedule (thumbs)

Option 2b is an easy day, a chance to do some touristy sight seeing and an overnight stop but this gets us near to Oslo early and gives a good few hours riding too so could put us well on our way (thumbs)

Option 2c again is an easy day, a chance to do some touristy sight seeing but an overnight crossing with no cabin but this gets us further west of Oslo in what looks to be a stunning route north, it also gives a good few hours riding too so could put us well on our way. however it is more expensive than 2a and 2b options (thumbs)

There is always the option of the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg and then just crunch out the miles for a day and a half putting us, hopefully north of Oslo end of day 3 (Esbjerg to Oslo 556 miles)

If Im honest I want to enjoy the trip and see as much as possible and the first 3 days was always going to be a motorway slog just to cover the miles to get to Norway so the ferry option gives a more relaxing start and a chance to enjoy the views. However I know what I want to budget so I would go for 2b as its the cheaper option and gets us well on our way.

look forward to catching up with you all at Malvern (thumbs)

Cheers
Ricky
Capt. Sensible

Post by Capt. Sensible »

Hi Ricky,

I favour 2b as well but we can talk it through at Malvern. 2b would put us about a half a day ahead of Si's schedule, allowing time to cover the 150-odd km to Oslo. I've tried to get the costs as accurate as possible but there may be some small variation, depending on when we book. The cost of food on all the Scandanavian ferries is pretty fierce: around 20 euros for breakfast!

CS
scubabiker

Post by scubabiker »

if you think the ferrys are expensive, wait till you see the rest of the stuff over here, are you riding up oinland from oslo? or are you riding along the coast road? i would suggest going hirtshals to kristiansand, that way you will be able to do the southern most point of norway to the northern most point, plus the west coast is truely stunning. i was down in haugasund today, the roads are nice and clear, no ice, i think summer will be good this year, gloabl warming is setting in!
whitewidow

Post by whitewidow »

Hi CS, Any defo date for leaving yet as i am still keen to join you guys. Only prob i have is already have tickets for the AC/DC bash at Wembley on the 4th.
Cheers Colin.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Reading this thread & went and dug out my notes from our trip to Norway a few years ago. We covered 259 miles on our first day when got off the ferry in Denmark(Elsjberg to Landskrona in Sweden) Day 2 410 miles which took us to Tangent, just north of Oslo.
And yes I remember the breakfast was around 20 euro but I think I had about 7 courses and a gallon of coffee so got my money's worth (thumbs)

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”