West country -wild weekend camping...

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Tramp

West country -wild weekend camping...

Post by Tramp »

Right oh!!:P

I can feel spring in my blood and as its getting lighter and warmer down south:woohoo: ..

I quite fancy a weekend away wildcamping somewhere or a pub site with grub, basically all meet up Friday night [camp] then have a ride out on the saturday on/off road camp sat night.

Then sunday ride home via nice roads etc.

How about somewhere in the west country before it gets invaded by the "Grockles" up on Dartmore etc .

Anyone down that way care to lead a ride out ? we could stipilate bike size and tyres but It would not be in the "spirit of things" . But mud and green lanes in the wet aint fun on a 200kg bike unless your a "offroad god", but as most of use have Adventure bikes lets have a mini Adventure.

All we need is a reason to go and a new place to visit and oh yes Good company:silly:
Lee

Re: West country -wild weekend camping...

Post by Lee »

If you're thinking of Dartmoor as a location then Plume of Feathers pub in Princetown would be a good place to camp (they have a site behind the pub).

Loads of lovely roads up on the moors (though there's an enforced 40mph speed limit over most of the open moorland nowadays). I'm not sure about off-road stuff anymore as I haven't lived down there for a good while – perhaps someone local to the area can give suggestions? Or if any of our forum flock are members of the TRF maybe they could offer some advice.

Either way if I'm free I'll pop along for sure.

Cheers

Lee
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

okay ,
think more info required.

so thinking about the weekend 25th to 27th March or last weekend in April [wedding weekend]
As I coming from Hampshire could meet up friday night around Ashburton.

Then saturday ride over Dartmoor [weather prevaling] to the west coast and up the Atlantic coast road to north Devon for sat night somewhere. Sunday everyone has a lesiurly ride home maybe over the moors?

we dont have to go off road as if like hants most of the byeways are tro`d till May, just take in the rural twisty roads etc- [local knowledge welcome].
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

I can recommend The Plume of Feathers, Good campsite and bikerfriendly, they also have good accommodation too, good food and beer, and the pub just up the road is even better for refreshments.
Cant enlighten you on tracks, but I expect like most national parks there wont be any.

If people fancy a longer journey, Treen farm at Sennen nr Lands End is v.good, pub with refreshments a 5 minute walk.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

May be up for this one.

Still looking for a nice tent though - I have my eye on the Vango Beta 350/450.

I have one issue though... and on here I may be shot for saying this :pinch:

I've never been camping, and I haven't ever put a tent up in my life. :laugh:

Maybe this is a trip where you can all laugh at the noobie?? :laugh:
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
africajim

Post by africajim »

Last time I saw a Vango 350 Beta the poles snapped on its first week out! Something faulty about the fibreglass, the guy got new ones under warranty but might be worth checking. Fine for a week then heard them splinter as we were having a beer!
I'm now using a Gelert Tornado 3, very good tent, on it's 2nd yr now.

Never mind. it'll be an experience!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi versrider,

everyone has to learn sometime, I have a vango omega with alloy poles and pegs and it wont blow away , plenty of room for 2 people and their stuff.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/vango-ome ... 2010/p4983

very good tent for its price and packs small and weight wise is good , its important to get one with a small porch for the panniers and cooking stuff for when its raining and dont get one too big as it`ll need a pannier to itself.

Spend a bit more for a good quality then if you need to change you dont louse much money, my goes uo in about 5mins , but for weekend trips I use my Basha and either tie it to a tree or use 2 sticks.

The plume seems to get a lot of good reports ....
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Thanks for the info there guys...

I almost bid on a vango zetes 400, but wasnt sure as the porch didnt look all that big, especially for bike gear.

I plan to camp with it and SWMBO during the summer, so it needs to be spacious. As I'm only dipping my toes in the water with camping though, I'd rather do it on a budget than go all out - after all I may not like it...
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Lee

Post by Lee »

Oh… like the idea of popping down to Treen farm, peejay. Haven't been to Lands End in years – was planning to do LE to JOG on my ABR rally trip, still might but I'd prefer the extra time to have another few days in the western highlands to be honest – perhaps if we did a run down to Lands End before the trip in June I could consider it part of the main trip (cheating I know, but if I don't tell anyone I might get away with it… Doh!)
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
scurrell

Post by scurrell »

Lee wrote:Oh… like the idea of popping down to Treen farm, peejay. Haven't been to Lands End in years – was planning to do LE to JOG on my ABR rally trip, still might but I'd prefer the extra time to have another few days in the western highlands to be honest – perhaps if we did a run down to Lands End before the trip in June I could consider it part of the main trip (cheating I know, but if I don't tell anyone I might get away with it… Doh!)
Great site, with fantastic views.

http://treenfarmcampsite.co.uk/

GSClub have a meet there every couple of years, as Tiffany Coates lives down there. We'll be there again first weekend in April.
"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”