Ride through Galloway forest 30th March 2013

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
AustinW

Ride through Galloway forest 30th March 2013

Post by AustinW »

Event now FULL

There are a few places available (just 6 actually) on the trip I organise through the XRV.org forum to ride on the forestry tracks in Galloway Forest Park. All the details are in posts #1&2 in the thread this link will take you to http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/austins-ad ... 013-a.html

In summary I have permission from the Scottish Forestry Commission to lead up to 25 bikes on the tracks in the Galloway Forest Park. We will camp at Galloway Activity Centre on Friday and Saturday nights (note there is a bunk house and other accommodation options at the centre) and ride through the forest on the Saturday leaving at about 9.30.

I think there will be about 70 miles on tracks and about 130 in total return. The tracks are straightforward forestry access roads and suitable for any dual sport bike and a good introduction to taking your bike off road if you havent tried it before. A guy actually did it on a R1200RT a couple of years ago. This is NOT an event for dedicated off roaders and is run at a sedate pace - you will enjoy it more on your Transalp, S10, GS12, Vstrom etc more than on a DRZ, DR, EXC, Enduro R. It is also most definitely not a race, competition, or an enduro of any sort - I and the SFC will not tolerate poor riding or racing. It is also not a free for all and we cant just ride anywhere or damage the landscape. This is the 4th running of the event and we are welcomed back by the SFC and locals. It is just damn good fun and a rare opportunity to ride your bikes in places you would never normally get to. You will recognise the names of a lot of participants as they are also regular posters on here.

The forestry commission do charge me however at £100 for the event and £5 per bike. I pass this on to you at £10 each just to cover the charge. If there's a surplus I make donation to charity. If there's a loss I will coming round cap in hand at the event for a top up. If you want to come I need the tenner beforehand.

This is also only open to road legal bikes and I need a copy of your bike insurance beforehand. These go the SFC to prove everyone taking part is legit - they are paranoid about allowing unlicensed and unregulated bikes into the forest.

First seven get to go on the list as provisionals and get confirmed when I get the tenner of you. PM or mail for me for bank details if you want to pay be bank transfer.

Have a look in the XRV ride reports section for write-ups of previous events and there's been some stuff on ABR as well. Last year's write up....http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/austins-ad ... ekend.html
dubber68

Re: Ride through Galloway forest 30th March 2013

Post by dubber68 »

If I weren't jetting off to sunny climates that weekend I would have loved to come on this. I enjoyed the last one with you so much that a repeat will have to happen one day.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
boatman

Post by boatman »

bump for this thread
Trail roads are in good order at the moment just spent a whole day BRILL!!!
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Another taker from XRV.org so now down to the last six places. Just to be clear this is riding on forestry tracks where no one else ever gets permission.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

I've done this twice and can definitely recommend it. I'm busy an Easter otherwise I would be giving it a go. The lads over on xrv are a great bunch of people.

Don't miss out if you are thinking about this. Get your names down. Great campsite, fantastic location and great forest riding.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Unfortunately I can not make it again this year , Austin

But I can highly recommend "Austins Forest Adventures" to go places that are awesome.

Cheers LWR
parabiker

Post by parabiker »

I'm in, PM on the way.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Just to add there's stickers available too
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/austins-ad ... hread.html
tommo tenere

Post by tommo tenere »

Austin i would like to join in the fun, sounds to good to miss and kind of local to me. (Carlisle) Please add me to your list if you will.

Tommo
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Parabiker and Tommo I have added you to the list. Please send insurance and payment asap - instructions in post 2 on XRV.org.

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”