A83 Closed again

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
yoda

A83 Closed again

Post by yoda »

Hi all, anyone heading up to Scotland/in the area it looks like the A83 is closed again nr the Rest and be Thankfull just past Arrochar. I had a tx from the Missus up there last night, theres 150ish tonnes of material come down of the hills side and onto the road. The detour round is 45 miles ish and takes you up the A82 to Tyndrum and scross towards Oban, then down to Iverrary or if heading up you can get the ferry from Gourock to Hunters quay in Dunoon and head north up the side of Loch Eck. They will be trying to clear the road if its not to wet and safe to do so, last time this happened it was closed for nearly a week, if you're heading up that way this next few days worth checking and adjusting your route maybe. :(
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
moto al

Re: A83 Closed again

Post by moto al »

is that the third time in a year. it must be realy hitting the local economy.
_61964392_landslip1.jpg
_61964392_landslip1.jpg (16.97 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
i wonder how they manage in the alps?
moto al

Post by Guest »

over 50 mile detour , they should listen to local people , this can happen again tmrw its overdue that time and money need to be allocated to deal with this
Bianchi

Post by Bianchi »

just get a digger clean it up then open the road . but they always like to make a song and dance about it

cheers

Dave
moto al

Post by moto al »

Bianchi wrote:just get a digger clean it up then open the road . but they always like to make a song and dance about it

cheers

Dave
hi dave is that a highland fling/???? he he .cheers.al.ps good chat last w/end
moto al
moto al

Post by moto al »

Bianchi wrote:just get a digger clean it up then open the road . but they always like to make a song and dance about it

cheers

Dave
7296511861.jpg
7296511861.jpg (126.57 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
a bit of usless info,the snack van at the top of the rest,is owned by the cousin of,f1 racing driver,paul di resta,&indy car champ dario franchitti
moto al
yoda

Post by yoda »

rest2.jpg
rest2.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
The latest local news has reported that there was more debris came down last night and now it is estimated that up to 1000 ton of material has fallen on the road with some falling further down to the old military road in the valley up to the rest and be thankfull. The hillside is still very unstable and with more rain due there is no date issued yet for the road re opening soon. Oh well its the ferry at Gourock for me tomorrow night then, what a PITA for anyone having to live and comute up there all the time.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
yoda

Post by yoda »

DSCF1365.jpg
DSCF1365.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
The A83 was open again from 19.00hrs on friday evening, they managed to clear the road but it was down to one lane and traffic lights (again) as the hillside was still unstable. I was heading up there friday evening and was bracing myself for a wait at the western ferries terminal at Gourock. Luckily i hit the M74 as the signs lit up to say it was open, there was hardly any traffic heading up that way from Lomondside so not to many people had got the message yet, the excavators on low loaders passed me heading back at Arrochar so i guess they'd only jut got finished. I stopped above the rest and took some pics of it, it doesn't look much but the debris had started moving from high up the hill and converged down a narrow gulley chanel the pics don't really show how high it came from, It strikes me that they would have been better building the road the other side of the valley.

yoda

Post by yoda »

DSCF1375.jpg
DSCF1375.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

yoda

Post by yoda »

DSCF1382.jpg
DSCF1382.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
At least saturday turned out nice up there.

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”