Gas Gas Pampera - wanted.

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Gas Gas Pampera - wanted.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

This shop is an alternative source of parts and advice

https://www.motomerlin.org.uk/news-25-w.asp

They ran a Pamp in LDTs for a long time.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Returned from the dark side :roll:

I just could not get my head around why there should suddenly be a leak from the clutch housing immediately that the engine stalled so I took it off this morning. What did I find but that the crankshaft pinion nut had slackened off and was pushing against the casing. It looks like who ever fitted it last time did not replace the Schnorr bevelled lock washer (new one on the left) and/or didn't secure the nut sufficiently. (penny between gears :roll: ).
schnorr.jpg
schnorr.jpg (137.98 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
crankshaft nut.jpg
crankshaft nut.jpg (110.97 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
clutch case.jpg
clutch case.jpg (199.67 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
I took the head off too just to double check and all looked well in the bore and cylinder head.

So tomorrow I might be able to reassemble and see if she runs, fingers crossed. Must order the relay that Bill found for me too. Richard, MotoMerlin was to be my next port of call as I want to replace the hoses before they fail.

TTFN

Hugh.

Ps Schnorr washers in stock at Francis Kirk, Denton, the store man was very helpful; https://www.franciskirk.com
Last edited by Hugh on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Thanks for the update Hugh...may the lord preserve us from a certain kind of 'mechanic'.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

The new indicators arrived so set about fitting and wiring them up. The previous owner had mentioned that some of the wiring needed tidying up and it did :!:

Drove me mad trying to figure out why when I fitted the indicator relay, (thank you Bob and RCM Trialsport) all the lights and horn would stop working, remember that the engine has to be running as there is no battery. Who ever designed this wiring loom needs to spend time fixing them, as I once told a designer when I worked as a rectification engineer with a major manufacturer. The wires change colour coding and junctions are placed at frame bracing points. If I decide to keep the bike I will probably produce a bespoke loom over the winter.

I started stripping off the outer covers from almost 95% of the looms and found some rather 'worn' joints, example below;
Frayed.jpg
Frayed.jpg (137.55 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
When I ordered the lights I noted that the company, Bikermart, also sells silicon diodes for LED lights, the bike has an LED rear/stop light so just incase I ordered one too. With the lights and relay fitted the lights would not work unless I disconnected the 'black' lead from the 3 way relay connector. I fitted the diode into the LED unit and everything started working again with all leads coupled :D I hate electrics and especially A/C.

I am now waiting on the arrival of new coolant hoses from MotoMerlin as one shows hidden external fretting and the other three just look older than I do :lol: Anyway I started the engine, which runs nicely, but transmission oil is leaking from the clutch housing casing just as it did when it broke down. I had re-used the original gasket so I will have to get a replacement on Monday and hope that the case has not actually warped or fractured.

Stay tuned for the next instalment.

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Well, I went trail riding/tarmac laning on the Pamp today, in my first green lane outing since my brush with the grim reaper.

I actually made the effort to measure fuel consumption, and in 53 km it used about 3.5 litres of Super unleaded at 50:1. The fuel was quite old, mixed up last year, but the bike started first kick on it.

So, it's doing just over 15 km a litre, or 9.3 miles, which is about 42 mpg.

Main tank capacity is 4.6 litres so range should be about 43 miles.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Whilst the clutch case was off I decided to update the water pump as the axle shaft was discoloured where the seal runs and the bearings felt 'tight'. The odd thing was that the tiny circlip for retaining the outer bearing was actually in between the bearing and the central circlip which separates the two bearings instead of between the seal and the bearing :?:

Put it all back together with a new gasket and thin smear of Hylomar blue sealant. Looked fine, started straight away but then as the engine warmed up the oil leak started again, although much reduced, I guess that the case must be warped even though I can neither see nor feel anything wrong. So a replacement 'used' case has been sourced and I wait for delivery before trying again :idea:

I have still not fully sorted the lights and indicators in that with the black lead connected to the relay the lights and horn all stop working, disconnect the lead and they immediately come back on! I am wondering if I need another diode because of the led lights, which in themselves do work well. The black lead is earthing as it should but I must confess that I am not an electrician so still a bit of head scratching and sparking to do :lol:

Let's hope for the replacement case being delivered tomorrow and fingers crossed for no leak after reassembly. Might even get to check out the petrol consumption Richard, the little tank covered about 5 miles but I did not get to measure much more as we only covered about 12 miles. The little tank does not fully empty as the feed pipe is at an angle due to tank alignment, still I might be glad of that 5 miles some time in the future.

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

five miles is a long push in motocross boots!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I have produced the following as a list of the parts that I have used whilst carrying out the service/repairs.

Picked up a replacement gasket ready for the case to arrive.
GasGas Pampera specifications.pdf
(35.41 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
TTFN

Hugh.

Ps Edited because I have modified the attachment.
Last edited by Hugh on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Well my 'used' replacement clutch case cover arrived today so with water pump swapped over and another new gasket fitted it was all put back together. The only downside is that the cover is not an exact replacement as it does not have a filler plug, still lay the bike on it's side and fill through the clutch.

I fitted a louvre vent to below the radiator grille hopefully to protect the lower section from stones, etc.

Engine running and so far no oil leakage so fingers crossed that we might get out this weekend, and do more than 12 miles under our own steam :lol:
clutch cover.jpg
clutch cover.jpg (166.69 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Rad protection.jpg
Rad protection.jpg (131.85 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
TTFN

Hugh.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Attached should be my attempt to show the wiring of my Pampera in the hope that it might help somebody else trying to make sense of the spaghetti mess :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Wiring reduced.key.pdf
(812.03 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”