Query selling a vehicle

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
tracker

Query selling a vehicle

Post by tracker »

Hi all, I have a question about selling, my vehicle, it is sorned and as no insurance. there is a buyer interested and he wants to ride it home.
If he is stopped for any reason will I get any comeback?
catcitrus

Re: Query selling a vehicle

Post by catcitrus »

good point--although he is responsible for taxing and insuring it before he rides it what happens if he doesn't bother?--where is the proof that he is actually the new owner and is therefore legally responsible--perhaps a bill of sale /receipt signed by both with a time and date on it--and both parties have a copy?--experts please?
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

not if you have sold it its up to him to tax it first just get the paper work in order . a receipt and time of sale with his signature on it .
bowber

Post by bowber »

You can also do the v5 change of owner online now so it's recorded there and then.
You're in a better position than if it was insured to be honest, these days if they ride home without insurance and you've not cancelled yours it's your insurance that'll payout in the event of a claim, then your insurance company will sue you for the amount.
How you're meant to cancel your insurance if it's after business hours I've no idea.

Steve
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

I always print a BOS stating the time ownership was transfered, but even if you have the BOS and the V5c, if it still insured by you after the sale, and the buyer has no insurance and is involved in a RTA, your insurance will pay and then claim against you for any loss they have incurred, so up shot is as soon as its sold cancel your insurance and put the time on the BOS.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

All ways make sure that you have the relevant part of the V5 to send off to DVLA, new keeper, sold to a trader, etc.

Under no circumstances let the buyer take the whole thing, ever.

The bill of sale idea signed by you both is a good one too.

Good luck with the sale.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I recently purchased a bike and the seller did the transfer electronically on the DVLA website. He then gave me the green slip and destroyed the rest of the V5. I received the new document less than a week later.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

What Frenchy said.

Do the ownership transfer electronically, putting in your email address to get the time and date stamp confirmation. That way its his issue if he choose to drive away. If he drives past an ANPR on the way home though and hasnt chosen to insure or tax, it's unlikely to trigger anything, as neither the tax nor the insurance will have dropped off the databases so quickly.

Paul - how long is it since you sold anything where you sent off the V5 you dinosaur?! ;)
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Mike54 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:34 pm What Frenchy said.

Do the ownership transfer electronically, putting in your email address to get the time and date stamp confirmation. That way its his issue if he choose to drive away. If he drives past an ANPR on the way home though and hasnt chosen to insure or tax, it's unlikely to trigger anything, as neither the tax nor the insurance will have dropped off the databases so quickly.

Paul - how long is it since you sold anything where you sent off the V5 you dinosaur?! ;)
Cheers for that Mike.

The last sale was back in 2013 I think. A Yamaha YBR125. The bloke that annoyed the shit out of me for hours and finally bought it was my fairwell to the bike trade and dealing with the general public.

Although I seem to remember you being a customer of sorts in Morocco in 2015...
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

"Do the ownership transfer electronically, putting in your email address to get the time and date stamp confirmation. That way its his issue if he choose to drive away. If he drives past an ANPR on the way home though and hasnt chosen to insure or tax, it's unlikely to trigger anything, as neither the tax nor the insurance will have dropped off the databases so quickly".

I think this is a good idea, but would be reluctant to rely entirely on the DVLA system. I sold a car around 10 years ago, filled in and sent of the green slip and gave the new owner the main part of the V5. A couple of weeks later, I received an acknowledgement of SORN. The new owner must have SORNed it, but DVLA sent me the acknowledgement.

If you are in any way unsure about whether you have insurance or not, check carefully. Do not simply assume that last year's policy has expired and has not been renewed. As others have said, the way the law works if the new owner has an accident, then his insurance policy is the first target for a claim. If he doesn't have insurance, then a claim can be made against any current insurance policy relating to the vehicle. If a previous owner has failed to notify their insurance company that they have sold the vehicle, then the insurance company is likely to try to reclaim their costs from the previous owner on the grounds that that failure to notify constitutes negligence.

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”