Iceland an Scotland lightweight ADV tent

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
adventure steele

Re: Iceland an Scotland lightweight ADV tent

Post by adventure steele »

Just revisiting this so hopefully I can come to a few events an I'm a few Scotland rides in feb has anyone used any off the MSR, Nemo or Big Agnes tents? :) an anyone got recommendations for sleeping bags that are pretty light really out of touch with them all. :D
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We used an MSR Mutha Hubba whilst we were in New Zealand and it was excellent. It is the three person version and weighs in around 2.5KG.
It fitted in my pannier too which was a bonus.

I bought an MSR Freelite 2 last year for hiking the Coast to Coast path.
A 2 person tent which was ideal for me on my own as a bit of a lump. Weighs in at under 1KG and the pack size is very small.

The Freelite would be my go to option for a solo motorcycle trip.

In my experience MSR is excellent quality kit, lightweight and durable with the added bonus of a ready secondhand market if you want to move it on and recoup a fair chunk of the initial outlay.

As for sleeping bags. Sea to Summit is another brand that we really like. We have the Trek 1 which is rated as comfortable down to 4 degrees I think.
Available in different sizes and with the addition of one of their Reactor liners can be used to increase the comfort temperature wise and obviously keep the sleeping bag itself cleaner.

That’s it. If I was buying another tent or sleeping bag I’d definitely start out looking at those two brands.
adventure steele

Thanks mate really appreciate the reply :) Aiming on keeping the pack weight down as much as possible i'll check those out.

*edit* wow hadnt seen the freelight before that's light!
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

adventure steele wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:36 pm Thanks mate really appreciate the reply :) Aiming on keeping the pack weight down as much as possible i'll check those out.

*edit* wow hadnt seen the freelight before that's light!
Isn’t it.
Pitching it was pretty simple and I never had an issue doing it on my own. It stood up very well to some heavy Lake District rain too. My night in Keld (Yorkshire?) saw it raining heavily from around 10pm through to 8.30am. Not a single drop got in.

I will admit to not being able to muster the enthusiasm to get out of the tent due to the weather. It was probably my lowest point of the 14 days.
Mind you, falling over in a puddle near Honiston was a very close second! Haha..the joys of the long distance hiker. Very similar to the joys of the long distance motorcyclist in a lot of way….Al be it much slower.
rockdodger

Post by rockdodger »

Exped do some really good lightweight tents.
adventure steele

Oh yep :) I've had a few days like that in the past when I used to be very keen on long distance hiking when I was in my early 20s.

Thanks Rock I'll check those out
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Since working at Alpkit I’d recommend a Soloist XL for the tent: about 1.3 kg, freestanding if you need it and on sale for 119 squid at the moment. Sleeping bag: again Alpkit Pipedream, 400 or 600 if using for winter. Very good value.
I’d save my money instead of buying a too expensive tent and sleeping bag as it’ll almost fund most of your petrol ;)
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Toe

Post by Toe »

Onenoodles wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:17 am Your not 'hiking' so weight isn't the most important thing, of course you don't want some massive heavy weight but ultra light useally means very expensive and at 6' 2" then spce can be tight.
I do lots of wildcamping but hike a lot so weight is a big factor but when I go on my bike then I use either my Nature Hike Cloud Up 2 which is amazing value for the weight and performance and space or my Hoolie 2 which has loads of space for me at 6ft and all my gear down the side of me, its a tunnel tent.
Go for space and comfort, dont obsess on the weight.
I have a Nature Hike Cloud Up 2 as well. Served we very well hiking and for the bike. Good pack size and importantly packed length for fitting in panniers and bags.
I was initially skeptical being that it was amazon only (in 2019) but the brand is still around and has it's own website as well. The price is (or was) cheap for what it is, components and materials are good, and if I remember correctly it's a copy of an older Big Agnes design.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
adventure steele

Thanks Godspeed and Toe I'll check those out :)
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

P4ulie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:23 pm Pack size & weight aren't the most important factors on the bike when wild camping, or where the weather is usually 'challenging'.... free standing in case tent pegs aren't happening & flysheet first if it hasn't stopped raining for 24 hrs are the main considerations. That tent choice could be the difference between an unpleasant camping experience & a complete disaster

This is great advice. Flysheet first, HH and porch space are my top requirements. Your Honda 300 won't be so concerned about weight.
After my last few outings I'll be spending more money on a sleeping bag than a tent from now on.

I'm a bit jealous, shopping for camping kit is my favourite type of consumerism :D
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”