camping cooking pot, your thoughts

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
bikenav

camping cooking pot, your thoughts

Post by bikenav »

bought myself a new basic camping stove but need a new cooking pot, I have not been much of a campsite cook in the past happy enough to mix up eating meals out, supermarket meals and getting by with cold camp meals, mainly not wanting to carry the extra volume/weight of cooking kit etc. times change, in the future sometimes warm food maybe an advantage, both winter days out and camping, in the past occasionally carrying a basic light alloy little saucepan it has gotten bent and dented etc, I have a habit of horizontal parking my GS on its soft luggage. All I need is a basic pot to warm a tin of soup, a few noodles, pasta and boil some water for a coffee real basic, I imagine the ability to store the gas bottle within the pot maybe an advantage or perhaps the burner might be better looks like it would not take kindly to the 200kg Gs on it either. So would I be better off with a titanium pot or just an alloy one or something else? reshaping the alloy aint the end of the world, anyone with any thoughts experience, I know become a better rider have some training etc save the planets saucepans blah, blah. Ta very much.
tuftywhite

Re: camping cooking pot, your thoughts

Post by tuftywhite »

Have a look at Zebra billy pots (with metal clips) and also the 16" saucepan type pots. Bushcraft Store UK
These are bomb proof, and can take the weight of a car wheel on top of them.

You can also buy Trangia pots, kettles and pans separately, and they also do a folding handled frying pan. Trangia or many other shops.

Also take a look at the Firebox Stove range of cookware Frying pan and pie dish plates which can also be used as pans. Direct from Firebox Stove US or via the Bushcraft Store in the UK.

I'm sure these aren't to everyone's tastes, but adds to the mix of things to compare against.

Some people just carry a large stainless or titanium mug in which you can fit a small burner and small gas canister. If that's all you need, that's all you need.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

I’ve got one of these for lightweight trips, there is a smaller cheaper version. It has a fitment for use with other pans. For longer trips I take a Decathalon pan set. It’s light and takes up very little space.

dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Im like you but just bought some mess tins from Decathalon or Go outdoors i think for about £5.00!!! then if they get squished just bend em back or chuck them and buy new ones!!! plus a small gas burner and gas bottle and even KF&S and seasoning will fit inside them, and they come with handles already fitted sweet! :D
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have a titanium kettle with the same idea of a finned base for rapid heat transfer--Chinese and cheap of course(about 20 quid)---with a big headed collapsible burner (about 5 quid) with a hose(fits INSIDE the kettle which has plenty of volume for two big cups of tea), a screw top thin gas bottle--and because it has a wide base it boils up VERY quickly--and is a bit more stable. I've used it many times and the whole kit packs away smaller than a jet boil and stove. I've tried the Trangia thing--too bulky and slow. I recently bought an amazing stainless set (chinese of course)--with about 8 pans and two cups that(apart from the cups) all fit inside each other--again cheap as chips---and they are of a size thats much more appropriate for a single person camping. If I'm just doing the heat in a bag or noodles then just one simple stainless bowl will do--so much kit is well overpriced--you just need to do your research. I even have a couple of adapters(again Chinese) that will convert the readily available 4 pack canisters with no screw top to a screw top for my burner hose--so gas is never a problem (unless you are way off the beaten track--and then its a petrol stove of course).
dave h

Post by dave h »

I've been using a ridgemonkey pan for a while now,

you can cook a large pie on a small camping cooker if you know how,
IMG_20200819_205153.jpg
IMG_20200819_205153.jpg (112.43 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
the square one lol,

dave.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

as said something real basic I am after obviously a container by definition is going to take up volume but I want to reduce that to the minimum for luggage volume my panniers are only around 18L each and cooking kit although nice to carry i'lI envisage will only be actually used for a bare few minutes on some evenings so an inefficient use of space in simplest terms in my mind at least. I know some go camping but I tend to go riding and or touring, on a road or day trip space will allow more volume, camping is generally a necessity cooking aint a romantic tentside experience for me as it appears to be to some. So thanks for the info guys the feeling I am getting that either titanium is either felt as unnecessary or untried so perhaps a quality alloy one or anything the right size is the way to go, a trip to a shop is needed but so little on shelves anymore local to me anyway. For those that may prefer to travel a little light, something I learnt for breakfast or anytime really, if you like museli, which is an effective, easy and enjoyable meal for me anyway- carry the museli or similar I suppose in a triple wrapped bag handy or a portion of, first shop you come to after setting off buy a small plastic bottle of milk, drink a third, replace top, place bottle on side, cut a large hole in the top side, pour in museli, pull out your spork, brekki sorted for me. Museli easy to carry and only a spork required its all I carry normally and a couple of knives of course. Ta.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Camp cooking is a classic ABR thread and I love it.

I'm a big Trangia fan, if you have a gas burner then it's worth taking a look a their pans. I really like having their kettle too, I drink a lot of tea so it suits me great.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

The cooker I put the link to packs inside its pan, cartridge and all. When I am camping or sailing I’m never interested in creating extravagant hot meals but I do need to boil water and be able to heat food quickly with as little hassle as possible.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

bikenav wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 am as said something real basic I am after obviously a container by definition is going to take up volume but I want to reduce that to the minimum for luggage volume my panniers are only around 18L each and cooking kit although nice to carry i'lI envisage will only be actually used for a bare few minutes on some evenings so an inefficient use of space in simplest terms in my mind at least. I know some go camping but I tend to go riding and or touring, on a road or day trip space will allow more volume, camping is generally a necessity cooking aint a romantic tentside experience for me as it appears to be to some. So thanks for the info guys the feeling I am getting that either titanium is either felt as unnecessary or untried so perhaps a quality alloy one or anything the right size is the way to go, a trip to a shop is needed but so little on shelves anymore local to me anyway. For those that may prefer to travel a little light, something I learnt for breakfast or anytime really, if you like museli, which is an effective, easy and enjoyable meal for me anyway- carry the museli or similar I suppose in a triple wrapped bag handy or a portion of, first shop you come to after setting off buy a small plastic bottle of milk, drink a third, replace top, place bottle on side, cut a large hole in the top side, pour in museli, pull out your spork, brekki sorted for me. Museli easy to carry and only a spork required its all I carry normally and a couple of knives of course. Ta.
Hahahaha brilliant for those on a budget i like it .... or for even more frugal fun, with the small bottle of milk drink a third, pour a third on your muesli in the bag and smoosh it about and eat from the bag then push a tea bag into the last third of milk in the bottle and pour in hot water and swill around until the desired strength is reached! most road side van cafes are happy to give some hot water away lol.... Obviously i haven't done this but 'a friend has!' just a thought.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

For something a bit more 'in vogue' i like the look of the jet boil set up, a bit pricey but the knock off ones are as good and don't take up much room!

These days i prefer a B&B anyway with a proper bed, toilet and large full English/Welsh to boot!!!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”